• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

Yep, agreed.

Dipping into the SPL is a decent tactic. A solid SPL player should just about cut it in the Championship and be top drawer in L1 or L2.

And now - and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just general comments - I think we really have to consider a few things when being ultra critical of our club. It seems that some of us have to say the same things window after window, season after season. First of all, we are never going to be able to compete with anyone in their prime who is on or who has been offered terms in the Prem or Championship. It''s out of our league by some distance. In order to therefore attract top players, we have had to go for those who are either "damaged goods" through being injury prone or at the end of their careers, or who have had disciplinary problems.

We know how that has worked out. Very few successes, mainly disappointments, the odd disaster. And all expensive.

But now there's a bit of a different tactic going on. Mid-lower table SPL teams are great areas to look at. Milligan (ok, at the end of his career but the Aussie captian FFS), Ralph and now possibly Shaughnessy, all very shrewd and an upgrade on what we have had before.

This is a very clever move by KB in my opinion. There is much more value up there.

And let's not be too hard on our club - for any new or potential newcomer, this is what they will see -

1) Geographically the closest seaside town to London and within easy reach
2) New stadium in the planning stage and not too far off now
3) A chairman that backs the managers financially and who is not trigger happy,
4) We have never been in administration
5) Key televised exploits over the recent history focus on the spirit and never give up attitude of the club - 2015 play off semis v Stevenage and play off final v Wycombe, last season's 0-3 comeback v Portsmouth and the Sunderland game.

We may think we know what is happening, warts and all, but in truth only a few actually know what's going on. Our job is to support the team and act as the 12th man. We managed to make Roots Hall the fortress again v Burton and Sunderland so let's do it from the off this season. I never want to see another wretched season like that at home ever again. In future, if we get beaten at the Hall, I want it to be by the better team and not because we were poor. As fans we also need to do our bit.

So come on you Blues!

Nice flights to Glasgow from City too, should they wish to have some time back in Scotland.

Why go to City when you can fly to Glasgow from Southend?

They don't do those flights any more. Stopped them along with the Manchester ones in January.

Ah, never mind. I forgot about Loganair!

If we could add another captain in whatever position it may be it can only be a good thing. Too often last season we were crying out for some leadership. It was a burden that caused too many dips in form when it couldn't be afforded.

Well done to KB for acknowledging that issue.

2) New stadium in the planning stage and not too far off now

Still no news if the plans will actually be submitted to the council.
I doubt many, if any, of our current players will play in the new ground. Yet I expect Ron shows all new employees the wonderful plans.

Still no news if the plans will actually be submitted to the council.
I doubt many, if any, of our current players will play in the new ground. Yet I expect Ron shows all new employees the wonderful plans.

Yes, that was my point. Any new recruit will be shown the plans and told it won't be long now... it's only those longer in the tooth that are more cynical/patient/disbelieving (strike out what does not apply, if any!).

And in fairness, "not long" is subjective. If we are taking the existence of Man on the planet as a timeline, 'tis a mere twinkle of an eye...

Bond doesn't like to publicly state his transfer targets

I don't know if this story is true but it came from a good source......

Aged 17 John Barnes went for a trial with Watford, it may have been a reserve game.
Anyway Graham Taylor insisted that Barnes was subbed at half time. One of the assistants/coaches asked why? as he thought Barnes had more than impressed.

Graham Taylor said "He hasn't signed a contract yet. You never know who's watching"

Either its simply he hasn't agreed yet to come on trial (despite suggestions he has).

Or we are trying to get terms agreed up front so we have an agreed trial period with the option to buy.

If we get him on a trial with no option, the chances are he will play versus Millwall or whoever with loads of scouts watching and all we will have achieved is placing in the shop window a player we thought we wanted - not clever.

Back