• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is David Webb one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jobbo didn't do petty rows. Heard DW being interviewed on 5 live after his caretaker spell at Chelsea (when they really, really should have given him the job full time - morons!) and he was asked if he had found it hard working for Bates:

"Hell no, you should try working with Vic Jobson!"

Absolute legend.

take it he's not nominated?

I prefer to think he walked out on Jobson rather than us...

Should definitely be in the hall of Fame...

Being a new glory boy fan, I haven't seen much of Webb's Southend. Glad he's voted in, but didn't feel I should vote simply because I don't know enough. Great write up though.

Absolutely in the HoF for me - a superb write up, YB. I'm amazed that even Webb III - where he had only one brief, which was to slash the wage bill - produced more wins than defeats. That tells you all you need to know about the man's greatness.

I particularly liked his decisiveness. He only needed to watch Gordon Connelly for one half of football before despatching him to the Scottish lower leagues.

He was the man who first brought me to Roots Hall, the man whose football got me hooked, the man who first took us to the promised land, and the man who took us to our highest ever league position. And, even if Barry Fry's side played - arguably - better football, it was Webby who signed the players who even now continue to set the benchmark:

Sammy/Roycey

Austin........Prior......Scully.......Powell

Ansah........Butler....K. Jones.....Tilson

............Angell.......Benjamin

That is one hell of a side, and Webby was one hell of a manager.

:clap:

Absolutely in the HoF for me - a superb write up, YB. I'm amazed that even Webb III - where he had only one brief, which was to slash the wage bill - produced more wins than defeats. That tells you all you need to know about the man's greatness.

I particularly liked his decisiveness. He only needed to watch Gordon Connelly for one half of football before despatching him to the Scottish lower leagues.

He was the man who first brought me to Roots Hall, the man whose football got me hooked, the man who first took us to the promised land, and the man who took us to our highest ever league position. And, even if Barry Fry's side played - arguably - better football, it was Webby who signed the players who even now continue to set the benchmark:

Sammy/Roycey

Austin........Prior......Scully.......Powell

Ansah........Butler....K. Jones.....Tilson

............Angell.......Benjamin

That is one hell of a side, and Webby was one hell of a manager.

:clap:

Good shout MtS, but I like Johnny Cornwell playing alongside Jonesy in midfield. Butler's defection to the Sham puts him way down in my estimation.

I said yes for one reason and one reason alone. Whilst me and a few mates were in the bar after watching the reserves during the 91/92 season, Webby gave us a plate of sarnies that hadn't been eaten in the board meeting that had just finished.

No other manager has brought me sandwiches and therefore his place in history must be confirmed.

Being a new glory boy fan, I haven't seen much of Webb's Southend. Glad he's voted in, but didn't feel I should vote simply because I don't know enough. Great write up though.

Apart from Cricko I doubt if anyone was around when Oliver Trigg formed the club, but I would still vote for him. I'm not telling you to vote but the preamble by YB should be enough for anyone to decide.

I remember going to The Supporters Club, before all these Trusty things started, end of season do when we got promoted to the 2nd tier of English Football for the 1st time. Having got pretty pished I headed for the toilets where I met Webby. I my best drunken slur as we passed I thanked him for achieving something I never thought I'd see. He replied that we weren't going up just to make up the numbers & we'd frighten the life out of them.

True to his word, as we all know, for a few hours on New Years Day we sat atop of the pile & had he not resigned shortly after or even perhaps had we replaced him there & then who knows what we would've ultimately achieved that season.

But he got us there & that makes him a true legend. :cool:

You know when you write something and it comes back to prove you wrong.....

But Webby was still not done. He returned for one brief - and dare one say final - hurrah when the passionless Steve Wignall was sacked. He stepped in and steadied the ship. His first game back was a LDV 1st round game against Swansea, which we won, to set us on our way to our first ever cup final. He took charge of just three more games, just enough to avoid a potentially huge banana skin against Canvey in the cup and his final moment as manager was watching Jay Smith's last minute winner in the Canvey replay in front of the TV cameras, just the finale that his efforts deserved.

The man he handed over to, fittingly, was a man signed by Webby and who played his best football under Webby. He won his first game 4-0 and the rest is as they say, history.

Webb I - PL 37 - W 20, L 10, D 7
Webb II - Pl 181 - W 79, L 63, D 39
Webb III - Pl 59 - W 21, L 20, D 18
Webb IV - Pl 4 - W 2, L 1, D 1

Promotions: 1986/87 (most of), 1989/90, 1990/91
Relegations: 1988/89 (part)

With basically three promotions to be weighed against half a relegation, the only manager who could challenge Webb's record is his protege, Steve Tilson. About the only thing we could hold against Webb was that he walked out on us so often, but with each of his four spells at the club producing a winning record and his signings making the club over £2m profit in the transfer market, for arguably Southend's greatest ever season(s) and for finally bringing second division football to Roots Hall surely Dave Webb belongs in the Southend hall of fame.

LOL, what a legend Webby is.

ps Feel free to neg rep fatso for voting against him

Is David Webb one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

12? lol bit of a random number

Back