• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
We have 3 tactics.

1; Play it out wide, especially from midfield with sideways passing only in their locker, 2; direct (Hoof) up to Dickinson from the back.3; Midfielders bursting through to be an extra striker (Timlin and Ferdinand).
This was paying results earlier on in the season as Dickinson was O.K.ish at holding the ball up and laying it off, the crosses from wide were finding their target, and Timlin and Ferdinand were getting into the box and finding space and scoring goals.

This is where it has gone horribly wrong. Dickinson can't now hold on to the ball, it's bouncing off him all over the place. The crosses are rubbish, with most not clearing the first defender(Criminal), or going over everyone's head. The midfielders are not backing up the strikers, and not going into the box apart from dead ball situations.

Poor Benyon must have realized very quickly that he had come to the wrong club. He thrives on balls from the midfield. That's how he mainly scored all those goals for Torquay. I can't recall him having one pass from our midfield, which has resulted in him hardly having a shot in all the time he has played for us.

Do you think that it's now time to get this team playing in a different and hopefully more entertaing way? A style that would allow the likes of Benyon to score the goals that he was brought to the club for.

Yes they have all been worked out by most teams we play.

Tactic number one could be used again....If only Martin and Hall were put in the same starting line up.

Tactic two has backfired really I guess, in the fact that the ball bypasses the midfield and as a result comes back at us a lot quicker than we can get it away! Hence the apparent leaky defence of late (just to much pressure maybe?).

Unfortunately I would say that those three tactics are the most common in this league, and with the players we have I am not sure if we can really vary it up much more. Plus the fact it would take time to implement and learn a new tactic, which with Sturrocks constant tinkering in mind, will take to long.

Another Dickinson bashing thread then

Not meant to be. I like him in the team. Just saying that directing it up to him when he's not having a good game is pointless as the ball is given back to the opposition. Very frustrating and annoying for the fans and the team. Surely we should be able to play a plan B or C or D in these circumstances.

Another Dickinson bashing thread then

Not if people take the thread the right way.....To me it could be seen as a way of supporting Dicko, by saying that he gets no attacking support.

But yes the majority will probably just go straight to him as the cause of all problems as the flavour of the day....Because that is how SZ forum works. :(

For me the strongest team we available have is:-

Morris

Clohessy Phillips Barker Prosser

Hall Grant Timlin Martin

Dickinson Harris

This would be, injury / suspension permitting, my starting line up for the remaining 13 games, instead of chopping & changing.

We need to play to the strengths of this team. Play the ball out from the back using the FB's. Clohessy & Prosser are both capable of a pass to midfield instead of the hoof. In Martin we have a player well above league 2 standard who will run at defences, take a man on & get round him & who can put a decent cross in. With Hall doing the same, as he is capable of, on the other wing this stretches defences.

Grant & Timlin are both comfortable on the ball & are capable of creating attacking play through the middle or feeding the wide men. Leave Barker & Phillips back, corners aside, & let the FB's link up with the wingers.

IMO Dickinson is a decent footballer, but his strengths are not winning the hoofed ball. Ball at feet & bringing others into play he does well & he's comfortable running at defenders too. Its almost criminal that the intelligence & experience of Harris hasn't been put to better use. If we kept the ball down & played football, we'd be playing to his strengths & goals would come.

Subs:
Benyon - An obvious replacement for a tiring Harris if needed
Mohsni - I love the guy, but there are better players for his position(s), CB or Striker, not winger, well not from the start anyway. As others have said, impact sub
Ferdinand - As he plays anywhere from in front of the CB's to behind the striker, a good midfield option to have on the bench.
Baldwin - Solid defender with a load of experience
Kalala - Nothing pretty about his play, but a solid CM

Just my thoughts..:winking:

The tactic I would like to see is the one where the players pass the ball to each other, this revolutionary approach to football worked for Morecambe yesterday, i'm hoping we adopt it soon.

Harsh.

PS has done a great job in his short time here, he just needs to place faith in the players & let them play. They have more ability than just hoofball.
Harsh, ok prehaps, i just get the feeling the players are not quite sure what is expected of them under PS. We cant carry on like this much longer and still expect to go up. If it continues in the same vain, i would not be surprised to see RM act sooner rather than later.

Harsh, ok prehaps, i just get the feeling the players are not quite sure what is expected of them under PS. We cant carry on like this much longer and still expect to go up. If it continues in the same vain, i would not be surprised to see RM act sooner rather than later.

Be careful in what you wish for we could end up with Martin Allen.
FWIW I've never warmed to Sturrock but acknowledge that he has at least got into a position that seemed impossible 20 months ago.

The only tactic I'd like to see employed is to score more than the opposition. :smile:

Do you think Mohsni could be used as a left back?

Morris
Clohessy, Barker, Phillips, Mohsni
Hall, Grant, Timlin, Martin
Dickinson, Harris/Benyon

I think Martin is too overrated, yes he does a job as a winger but he hasn't got the pace or final end product. Playing mosh and hall on ever wing till end of the season IMO!

This "short time here" line doesn't wash with me anymore

Paul Sturrock is the 33rd longest serving manager in the country currently

I've lost patience i'm afraid, i spent £120 yesterday .. i don't think i got value for money somehow and would support a change

<bites tongue> i'd even consider lunatic Allen :blush:

I think Martin is too overrated, yes he does a job as a winger but he hasn't got the pace or final end product. Playing mosh and hall on ever wing till end of the season IMO!

Very harsh, 2 goals and at least 1 assist (that I can remember), in about 10 games, and I can't remember him playing 90 minutes?

Don't you start giving Ron ideas like that....

Sorry James :raspberry: but if Sturrock is coming out and saying his team are "gutless" its clear there is disharmony in the camp and its a case of either he goes or they do .. we can't change 17/18 32/33 in February so change the 1

Or a one liner i've edited from a training course i attended many moons ago ... if you can't change the manager change the manager :winking:

Back