• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Take care in the heat!

36.3c in London right now.

Top of the tree are Stansted, Cambridge and Lakenheath at 37c

It's the humidity we get in the UK when we have a heat wave, it's nothing like you get when going to hotter Countries, it can be pretty uncomfortable.

Just walking in my garden and it's bang, in your face.

The thing with British homes, they're designed to keep the warmth in. I do recommend people closing curtains eg, but still leave your windows open to get fresh air in.

Last edited:
And they will probably chuckle at you thinking how stuffy your home is right now.
I probably should have clarified that my chuckle was someone that must have gone and bought a portable air conditioning unit, has set it up in their bedroom at the front of the house with the hose coming out of one window (with the required window kit) but the window next to it was also wide open. All day and all night it was like that yesterday

I probably should have clarified that my chuckle was someone that must have gone and bought a portable air conditioning unit, has set it up in their bedroom at the front of the house with the hose coming out of one window (with the required window kit) but the window next to it was also wide open. All day and all night it was like that yesterday

I agree shutting curtains eg works, but I'd still leave a window open. I guess it all depends what works for the individual.

I hear you, AC Units work better when all windows are closed.

It's the humidity we get in the UK when we have a heat wave, it's nothing like you get when going to hotter Countries, it can be pretty uncomfortable.

Just walking in my garden and it's bang, in your face.

The thing with British homes, they're designed to keep the warmth in. I do recommend people closing curtains eg, but still leave your windows open to get fresh air in.
Interestingly, the humidity here is lower than on the continent where people might go on holiday.

Think it has more to do with how built up the UK is, our towns and housing estates are heat traps. Lots of homes close together, generally surrounded by concrete/tarmac. Also insulation like you say in homes traps any heat that gets in.

I agree shutting curtains eg works, but I'd still leave a window open. I guess it all depends what works for the individual.

I hear you, AC Units work better when all windows are closed.
It's not really about what works for the individual, it's about what happens in physics and I would imagine that having the windows open, even with the curtains drawn, would heat the house up, just at a slower rate.

My weather station is registering 41°C at the moment in the full sun about 10' off the ground, but two different thermometers in the shade are registering 33/34°C respectively which I suspect is more likely.

Temperatures here if anyone is as sad as me

Interestingly, the humidity here is lower than on the continent where people might go on holiday.

Think it has more to do with how built up the UK is, our towns and housing estates are heat traps. Lots of homes close together, generally surrounded by concrete/tarmac. Also insulation like you say in homes traps any heat that gets in.

Italy, Spain, Greece, Portugal and Turkey eg always seem to be bearable, we get a heatwave and it's all a bit much. I don't think it has anything to do with housing being close to each other, all those Countries I mentioned above are very compact like the UK. Interesting debat though, why the UK seems so hot than other Countries when we get heatwaves.

Maybe I'm just becoming an old fart and can't hack it anymore.

Just left the office to buy some stuff that I forgot to grab at lunchtime. The walk was no more than 2 minutes to Tescos in Witham but my god its hot out there. Was so glad to get back to the comfort of air con!

The below was exactly how I felt on my walk

Italy, Spain, Greece, Portugal and Turkey eg always seem to be bearable, we get a heatwave and it's all a bit much. I don't think it has anything to do with housing being close to each other, all those Countries I mentioned above are very compact like the UK. Interesting debat though, why the UK seems so hot than other Countries when we get heatwaves.

Considered installing aircon? This lovely weather is likely to be happening more and more going forward

I was wondering about this yesterday, why it always seems less bearable here.
I found a list of countries by population density.
This shows us, United Kingdom in 52nd place (52nd most densely populated country)
The others you mention:
Portugal 101
Turkey 108
Spain 121
Greece 133
Not really sure this helps to answer the question, but it killed a bit of time.

Just shut the roof light, breeze was blowing very warm air in.

Usually have it open on the principle that warm air rises, but defo had warm air blowing inm.

I was wondering about this yesterday, why it always seems less bearable here.
I found a list of countries by population density.
This shows us, United Kingdom in 52nd place (52nd most densely populated country)
The others you mention:
Portugal 101
Turkey 108
Spain 121
Greece 133
Not really sure this helps to answer the question, but it killed a bit of time.

Italy must be high on the list.

Italy must be high on the list.
Italy is 71st. I tried to put a link on here to the list but it doesn't work.

It is quite easy to find though if you Google "population density by country and then look at the wikipedia one.

I've thought a bit more about this and especially about Greece. I know most Greeks live and work in Athens and the rest of the country is pretty much empty until you get to the coast. So it doesn't really answer your original question at all, but I'm sad enough to find it interesting,

Back