• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Confidence, motivation, morale, integrity, responsiblity all come from the manager and coach - I see none of it in our squad.

All can also be borne from continuity, which is something we're unfortunately in short supply of at the moment.

All can also be borne from continuity, which is something we're unfortunately in short supply of at the moment.

Yep, you are right there ESB. I just don't know what it is. The players seem to have no motivation, Easton and Simpson looked completely out of their comfort zone, Clohessy was scared to get forward and the whole heads down, shoulders slumped was there throughout the the team and that was before kick off!

I truly believe the players we have are good enough - they need to be given the confidence to get out of their current defeatist malaise and start believing in their ability. Again, simply down to the man management of the manager and coaches.

First of all it's not Sturrock's fault that his squad is crap given everything that happened during the summer but, having seen almost every game this season, my observations - purely on the football side - are:
  • We should stick to 4:4:2 for the rest of the season so that our players know what they're supposed to do and don't wander around the pitch clueless of their role. We seem to change our formation almost every week - the worst was Crewe when we were superb playing 4:4:2 at Chesterfield in the previous match.
  • Prosser, Soares and Gilbert should never play for SUFC again.
  • Herd, Spencer and Crawford should be given a run in the team. Spencer and Crawford could not possibly do any worse than the succession of abject loanees we have taken on.....and probably the same to a lesser extent applies to Paterson.
  • People should lay off Blair - he is our best forward - he and one of Spencer/Crawford/Corr/Paterson would be the best option.
  • Spencer had a good game wide on the right against Barking and should be tried there - at least he knows where the goal is.
  • Hall sould be given a run in the team.
  • Herd has never let us down unlike Gilbert (Chesterfield, Macclesfield and Stevenage to name but 3) and Prosser (Port Vale, Crewe and Burton to name but 3). He should be given a run in the team.
  • We need pace up front and on the flanks, a bit of flair and passing ability in midfield and someone who can score the odd goal otherwise we will almost certainly be in the Conference next season (assuming - a big assumption - that we don't go bust beforehand). Sadly there seems to be little chance to freshen up the squad due to the financial situation.
  • This team is about the worst I can remember over 50 years - Peter Morris you know who you are.
For the older Zoners just think of the quality we had in the late 60s when we were not promoted from this division but had players as good as Roberts, Bentley, Birks, Woodley, Firmani, McKinven, MacMillan, Hamilton, Best, Smillie, Chisnall etc etc etc.

The current lot aren't a patch on the above which is why it will be a monumental struggle to stay up.

Still - never mind - the Trust will have a place on the Board in 2011.

We're all doomed.

Someone please tell me why I am wrong.

Good and well thought post.

Personally, I'd prefer us to play 433 as we've looked more solid when employing that system as we seem to protect the back 4 better. The 3 tight in a midfield allows Grant to get forward more and when that's been the case he's scored goals. Also, i'm not a massive fan of Easton in a 442. I'm not so sure he's the legs to get about and cover the ground needed in this system.
Agree with you about Gilbert in so much as he hasn't impressed me at all. Herd? Seen nothing in him to suggest he's the answer at left back either, so it's a case of either or as to who plays.
Blair is underrated, he has a good football brain, but the main problem with that is he isn't good enough to execute what he wants to. I don't think he's our best striker though, I think that Corr gets that accolade...but it's a close call. Neither fill me with any belief that they'll score enough goals if I'm being honest and I think they make a poor strike partnership, even at this level.
Hall should definately be playing more, but Spencer has never showed much in my opinion and wouldn't see what he'd offer the team - especially from the wing. Pace? yes, I suppose so, but no point having pace if he a) doesn't utilise it (and I don't think he knows how to make the most of that, not at all) or b) runs too fast to control the football. Where's the point in that? Also, he doesn't deliver a quality ball from wide areas should he eventually get it under control!

Personally, I'd prefer us to play 433 as we've looked more solid when employing that system as we seem to protect the back 4 better. The 3 tight in a midfield allows Grant to get forward more and when that's been the case he's scored goals. Also, i'm not a massive fan of Easton in a 442. I'm not so sure he's the legs to get about and cover the ground needed in this system.
Agree with you about Gilbert in so much as he hasn't impressed me at all. Herd? Seen nothing in him to suggest he's the answer at left back either, so it's a case of either or as to who plays.
Blair is underrated, he has a good football brain, but the main problem with that is he isn't good enough to execute what he wants to. I don't think he's our best striker though, I think that Corr gets that accolade...but it's a close call. Neither fill me with any belief that they'll score enough goals if I'm being honest and I think they make a poor strike partnership, even at this level.
Hall should definately be playing more, but Spencer has never showed much in my opinion and wouldn't see what he'd offer the team - especially from the wing. Pace? yes, I suppose so, but no point having pace if he a) doesn't utilise it (and I don't think he knows how to make the most of that, not at all) or b) runs too fast to control the football. Where's the point in that? Also, he doesn't deliver a quality ball from wide areas should he eventually get it under control![/QUOTE]

Not playing Herd at left back when Gilbert has been missing is a poor call. Corr is out best striker, no doubt, he will score goals at this level. Give Blair a start every game this season and he might get 10 at most, but he does hold the ball up well. Spencer was on fire at the end of last season - why not play him? As for he doesn't deliver a quality ball - in his second and last appearance of the season he crossed a peach in for Corr to score against Bristol City.

It is all about utilising your squad. Sturrock has failed to do this. Would we be a point from the bottom of the League if we had played Spencer, Paterson, Crawford and Herd more?

[Not playing Herd at left back when Gilbert has been missing is a poor call. Corr is out best striker, no doubt, he will score goals at this level. Give Blair a start every game this season and he might get 10 at most, but he does hold the ball up well. Spencer was on fire at the end of last season - why not play him? As for he doesn't deliver a quality ball - in his second and last appearance of the season he crossed a peach in for Corr to score against Bristol City.

It is all about utilising your squad. Sturrock has failed to do this. Would we be a point from the bottom of the League if we had played Spencer, Paterson, Crawford and Herd more?

There is more than a case to say Herd should have played when Gilbert hasn't been available, but my point is that whether it's Herd or Gilbert in the team, the best left back is playing at centre half because the central defenders (Prosser & Coughlan) aren't up to playing well week in, week out.
I 100% agree that the squad hasn't been utilised nearly enough. This is down to Sturrock. Why bring in the loanees we've had up front when Crawford and Paterson are not getting a look in? Are they any better than what we already had? Not a chance.
Spencer though, sorry, I just don't think he's good enough. I think saying he was on fire last season is extremely generous on your part. How many did he score from Feb onwards? Two or three? Not good enough. I know he has pace, but I really don't think he's intelligent enough to maximise that obvious strength to his game.

Good positive reply with some sensible comments.
The word CRAP and AWFUL and NEVER SHOULD PLAY AGAIN is just frustration
Whether players are good enough will always be asked in a struggling team, but what is clearly missing is Leadership on the Pitch.
I have now seen enough of the players to make a sensible judgment and from what i have seen there is enough from 1-16 to keep us in this league.
While we are struggling, supporters will always look at the defence, but we should not forget we need someone to hold it up and bring players in up front,some quality in the middle of midfield to put their foot on it and pass it.
Some of the games i have seen the main difference is a goal scorer.These will either keep you up or send you up and from what i have seen this is our weakest point.
But,everyones looking for one of those, and its all about luck in finding one and whose prepared to pay the most money.

Hall should definately be playing more, but Spencer has never showed much in my opinion and wouldn't see what he'd offer the team - especially from the wing. Pace? yes, I suppose so, but no point having pace if he a) doesn't utilise it (and I don't think he knows how to make the most of that, not at all) or b) runs too fast to control the football. Where's the point in that? Also, he doesn't deliver a quality ball from wide areas should he eventually get it under control!

Not playing Herd at left back when Gilbert has been missing is a poor call. Corr is out best striker, no doubt, he will score goals at this level. Give Blair a start every game this season and he might get 10 at most, but he does hold the ball up well. Spencer was on fire at the end of last season - why not play him? As for he doesn't deliver a quality ball - in his second and last appearance of the season he crossed a peach in for Corr to score against Bristol City.

No, we'd have been worse off had we played Spencer, Paterson and Herd more often.

All three are lightweight and have failed to take their chances in the league (or presumably impress the manager in training).

Crawford is the only one you mention who can be considered hard done by. In his limited chances he's actually looked lively. I was sceptical about him last season and what exactly he offered (and still not sure about his long term future), but he's the only one of the four who has remotely impressed in the league. He's had limited opportunities, but he's made the most of them.

Good cross by Spencer against Bristol City mind.

I honestly believe we are just one good confidence boosting win , say a 3 nil with a good display , from pushung on up the table and challenging for promotion. Maybe with a little luck this can happen saturday and start an unbeaten run !!

No, we'd have been worse off had we played Spencer, Paterson and Herd more often.

All three are lightweight and have failed to take their chances in the league (or presumably impress the manager in training).

Crawford is the only one you mention who can be considered hard done by. In his limited chances he's actually looked lively. I was sceptical about him last season and what exactly he offered (and still not sure about his long term future), but he's the only one of the four who has remotely impressed in the league. He's had limited opportunities, but he's made the most of them.

Good cross by Spencer against Bristol City mind.

Rediculous comment Paterson's 4 goals in 5 starts this season has impressed me! Don't know what you've got against the lad Yorkshire, yes he's had a couple of stinkers, but so has just about every other player! Not playing a goal scorer and bringing in the very poor loannees has been a mistake - imho.

My comments added. I don't think you're wrong but I also don't think it's as bad as everyone thinks. November has been rubbish but after tomorrow we'll have had 4 away matches on the trot. We have first choice players coming back now. Out of the next 6 games, 4 are at home. A semi-decent run over those matches will see us mid table by January 8th and a really good set of results will see us up near the play offs again - the division is that tight.

Our home form is terrible as well at the moment. Not sure Roots Hall will save the downward spiral.

I suppose I live in the same land as fbm. I know that I am open to criticism, having not seen a game this season and thankfully not having to endure, at first hand, some of the rubbish that that has been served up in many of the matches. In spite of that I will offer my take on the presnt situation.
Everyone must remember, in the first quarter of the season, PS bemoaning the fact that he didn't know his best line-up. I would venture to suggest that if he hasn't yet worked it out..........I would suggest the following:-

Morris
Clohessy
Barker
Mohsni
Hall
Easton
Grant
Simpson
Corr
Sturrock

There are JUST two rather large problems here. Firstly, our best side has only ten men...........we are missing a defender. Anyway, how many times this season has PS been able to start with this line-up (+ one)?...........not many times, I would have thought. Feel a bit sorry for Coughlan...........what ever he was brought in for, I don't think it was with the idea of playing ninety minutes every week. Anyway, back to the point.............I feel confident that if we could field the above side (plus one more defender of similar quality), we would have no problem, at the least, of finishing comfortably placed in this division. The trouble, of course, is that we would have to be incredibly lucky, with injuries and suspensions, to be able to regularly field the same squad. Here lies the second BIG problem...........(leaving the issue of Spencer, Paterson and Herd aside)......can anyone name me one additional player (apart from, perhaps Evans), chosen from the rest of our squad, that would be of equal quality to the ten players mentioned above???
By mid-January and certainly by the end of that month, I think we shall have a better idea of our fate for the season and I think the important decisions will be taken off the field as well as on it. We need, imperatively, to strengthen the squad during the transfer window..........with some permanent players and one or two loanees, rather more up to the task, than what we have seen at present. If we fail to bring people in a heavy responsibility will lay at Martin's door.....if we do and the players are not up to scratch.........Sturrock will very quickly feel the heat. One thing I do gaurantee...........if we don't bring anyone in during January I will very rapidly drop my roe-tinted specs and join with the doom, gloom and suicidal posters on here.

I think we are worse than even the most rose tinted think...look at our position in the league, we have had our strongest side out (whatever that is) on several occassions and we are still crap. How you still have any faith whatsoever in this bunch of useless toilet assembled by a similar manager is beyond me.You truly do live in cloud cuckoo land at times if you believe anything you have written above.

If I don't keep the faith I'd get too miserable. Simple as that. My life doesn't allow me to feel that bad over something that is meant to be for my pleasure and entertainment.

Last edited:
I suppose I live in the same land as fbm. I know that I am open to criticism, having not seen a game this season and thankfully not having to endure, at first hand, some of the rubbish that that has been served up in many of the matches. In spite of that I will offer my take on the presnt situation.
Everyone must remember, in the first quarter of the season, PS bemoaning the fact that he didn't know his best line-up. I would venture to suggest that if he hasn't yet worked it out..........I would suggest the following:-

Morris
Clohessy
Barker
Mohsni
Hall
Easton
Grant
Simpson
Corr
Sturrock

There are JUST two rather large problems here. Firstly, our best side has only ten men...........we are missing a defender. Anyway, how many times this season has PS been able to start with this line-up (+ one)?...........not many times, I would have thought. Feel a bit sorry for Coughlan...........what ever he was brought in for, I don't think it was with the idea of playing ninety minutes every week. Anyway, back to the point.............I feel confident that if we could field the above side (plus one more defender of similar quality), we would have no problem, at the least, of finishing comfortably placed in this division. The trouble, of course, is that we would have to be incredibly lucky, with injuries and suspensions, to be able to regularly field the same squad. Here lies the second BIG problem...........(leaving the issue of Spencer, Paterson and Herd aside)......can anyone name me one additional player (apart from, perhaps Evans), chosen from the rest of our squad, that would be of equal quality to the ten players mentioned above???
By mid-January and certainly by the end of that month, I think we shall have a better idea of our fate for the season and I think the important decisions will be taken off the field as well as on it. We need, imperatively, to strengthen the squad during the transfer window..........with some permanent players and one or two loanees, rather more up to the task, than what we have seen at present. If we fail to bring people in a heavy responsibility will lay at Martin's door.....if we do and the players are not up to scratch.........Sturrock will very quickly feel the heat. One thing I do gaurantee...........if we don't bring anyone in during January I will very rapidly drop my roe-tinted specs and join with the doom, gloom and suicidal posters on here.

Yogi,
Just a friendly word of warning.If you DO come over and watch a game,please remember not to say anything negative about our star striker-(no, not Blair Sturrock,the other one).:winking:

Rediculous comment Paterson's 4 goals in 5 starts this season has impressed me! Don't know what you've got against the lad Yorkshire, yes he's had a couple of stinkers, but so has just about every other player! Not playing a goal scorer and bringing in the very poor loannees has been a mistake - imho.

What bit are you disputing: that they aren't lightweight or that they haven't taken their chances in the league?

In his 12 months or so at the club, the number of stinkers Paterson has had has outweighed his good moments (that's moments, not matches). I'll grant you that Antonio German is worse.

Morris
Clohessy
Barker
Mohsni
Hall
Easton
Grant
Simpson
Corr
Sturrock

Yogi, not watching games doesn't stop quite a few on here from sharing their opinions. I think the difference is that you are aware of the limited evidence on which you base your opinions. I actually welcome your take on it as not being so close can offer better perspective.

Anyway, given the number of red cards we've received it's fair to say we've tried playing with 10 men quite a few times already this season!

Yogi,
Just a friendly word of warning.If you DO come over and watch a game,please remember not to say anything negative about our star striker-(no, not Blair Sturrock,the other one).:winking:

Personally, I've got nothing against Corr at this level. The line up of Corr and Sturrock together is another question!............and the only answer is that none of the players that have paired up with one of these two, have proved a great success and the loanees, up to now, have been particularly disappointing.

What bit are you disputing: that they aren't lightweight or that they haven't taken their chances in the league?

In his 12 months or so at the club, the number of stinkers Paterson has had has outweighed his good moments (that's moments, not matches). I'll grant you that Antonio German is worse.
But Sturrock only has this season's stinkers to go by - 4 if you're saying every league performance has been a stinker. That's a damn sight less than a lot of the other players he has persisited in playing/starting. Given that Pato has also put in some very good shifts as well, most notably the cup games (incedently the few games I've seen us play predominately on the floor), and his superior strike rate (goals per games). He should most definitely be given a bigger bite of the apple. The likes of Sturrock Jnr from the permanent staff, and the plethora of loanees have not performed consistently, and certainly had their fair of stinkers and yet have had better runs in the team.

But Sturrock only has this season's stinkers to go by - 4 if you're saying every league performance has been a stinker. That's a damn sight less than a lot of the other players he has persisited in playing/starting. Given that Pato has also put in some very good shifts as well, most notably the cup games (incedently the few games I've seen us play predominately on the floor), and his superior strike rate (goals per games). He should most definitely be given a bigger bite of the apple. The likes of Sturrock Jnr from the permanent staff, and the plethora of loanees have not performed consistently, and certainly had their fair of stinkers and yet have had better runs in the team.

Sturrock is clearly not very even-handed in his approach to team selection. Those players he has bought/brought in have been afforded far more opportunities than the residue he inherited. He is not the first or only manager to take that approach. Doesn't mean it's right though.

By my count it's 3 starts and 5 sub appearances for Paterson in the league this season and he's shown absolutely nothing in those games to the extent that he's been a passenger. Blair Sturrock made an impact within 18 minutes of his debut and within 6 minutes in his last game. Besides his goals he's also managed to set up goals with some wonderful crosses, win headers, hold the ball up and spread play. At least there is some upside for any bad performances. What has Paterson accomplished in those 8 league appearances, when up against teams who don't give you time and space and invite you to play the ball more on the floor?

Paterson might have had limited opportunities in the league, but so has Crawford and Crawford has still managed to make the most of his chances by looking lively instead of lacklustre.

First of all it's not Sturrock's fault that his squad is crap given everything that happened during the summer but, having seen almost every game this season, my observations - purely on the football side - are:
  • We should stick to 4:4:2 for the rest of the season so that our players know what they're supposed to do and don't wander around the pitch clueless of their role. We seem to change our formation almost every week - the worst was Crewe when we were superb playing 4:4:2 at Chesterfield in the previous match.
  • Prosser, Soares and Gilbert should never play for SUFC again.
  • Herd, Spencer and Crawford should be given a run in the team. Spencer and Crawford could not possibly do any worse than the succession of abject loanees we have taken on.....and probably the same to a lesser extent applies to Paterson.
  • People should lay off Blair - he is our best forward - he and one of Spencer/Crawford/Corr/Paterson would be the best option.
  • Spencer had a good game wide on the right against Barking and should be tried there - at least he knows where the goal is.
  • Hall sould be given a run in the team.
  • Herd has never let us down unlike Gilbert (Chesterfield, Macclesfield and Stevenage to name but 3) and Prosser (Port Vale, Crewe and Burton to name but 3). He should be given a run in the team.
  • We need pace up front and on the flanks, a bit of flair and passing ability in midfield and someone who can score the odd goal otherwise we will almost certainly be in the Conference next season (assuming - a big assumption - that we don't go bust beforehand). Sadly there seems to be little chance to freshen up the squad due to the financial situation.
  • This team is about the worst I can remember over 50 years - Peter Morris you know who you are.
For the older Zoners just think of the quality we had in the late 60s when we were not promoted from this division but had players as good as Roberts, Bentley, Birks, Woodley, Firmani, McKinven, MacMillan, Hamilton, Best, Smillie, Chisnall etc etc etc.

The current lot aren't a patch on the above which is why it will be a monumental struggle to stay up.

Still - never mind - the Trust will have a place on the Board in 2011.

We're all doomed.

Someone please tell me why I am wrong.

Sounds like the points in bold worked.

I was at our Christmas party - did we play 4:4:2?

Back