• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

By my count it's 3 starts and 5 sub appearances for Paterson in the league this season and he's shown absolutely nothing in those games to the extent that he's been a passenger. Blair Sturrock made an impact within 18 minutes of his debut and within 6 minutes in his last game. Besides his goals he's also managed to set up goals with some wonderful crosses, win headers, hold the ball up and spread play. At least there is some upside for any bad performances. What has Paterson accomplished in those 8 league appearances, when up against teams who don't give you time and space and invite you to play the ball more on the floor?

Paterson might have had limited opportunities in the league, but so has Crawford and Crawford has still managed to make the most of his chances by looking lively instead of lacklustre.

This is what is inherently wrong with this club. We have no patience, we do not give players the opportunity to prove themselves as has been backed up by the countless players (strikers especially) who have left us and gone on to prove themselves to be very capable. Our supporters have no patience, no time to give and want results just like that in a flash, if the players don't deliver immediately they are thrown on the scrap heap of 'being lightweight', 'not interested', 'not good enough' etc.

For me Crawford, Paterson and Spencer as youngsters 19, 20 and 21 (i believe) have far more potential than the likes of Blair Sturrock or Barry Corr - unfortunatley with our fan base and the constant belittling of them none will achieve much at Southend. And the continual berating of them on messageboards such as these just speeds up their departure (to most probably better things).

So what the kids have had a few poor games, they've also had a few good ones - give them the run of the green and they will deliver, that's what football is all about. Well done Johnny Herd, you stood up well last night, but those who know better still think you're not good enough and doubt your inclusion in any of their team line ups - because they know best - once again I will say it I'd rather have the likes of Herd, Paterson, Spencer and Crawford playing in the first team and trying their best than watch the absolute rubbish that has been dished up over the last few months.

I for one am delighted that Widdrington has walked - his sideline antics have been as poor as I can ever remember, his constant berating of the players and his swearing has been, not as some would think passionate, it has been almost to make him look like a bully. The rumours from the training ground of crap training may have been true or not, but I can only see him leaving as a positive.

I now look forward with relish the departure of Mr Sturrock, his pathetic hoofball tactics and team selections and team formations have been utter rubbish. Don't get me wrong if we suddenly win our next 20 games and win promotion I may change my mind!

Sorry if you don't like it Yorkshire but that is my honest opinions. I will leave it to those who know better to deliberate.

For me Crawford, Paterson and Spencer as youngsters 19, 20 and 21 (i believe) have far more potential than the likes of Blair Sturrock or Barry Corr - unfortunatley with our fan base and the constant belittling of them none will achieve much at Southend. And the continual berating of them on messageboards such as these just speeds up their departure (to most probably better things).

Seems like this point is back to front. The youngsters get loads of chances from the bulk of the fans and it's Corr & Sturrock who get ripped to shreds on the messageboards.

This is what is inherently wrong with this club. We have no patience, we do not give players the opportunity to prove themselves as has been backed up by the countless players (strikers especially) who have left us and gone on to prove themselves to be very capable. Our supporters have no patience, no time to give and want results just like that in a flash, if the players don't deliver immediately they are thrown on the scrap heap of 'being lightweight', 'not interested', 'not good enough' etc.

So what the kids have had a few poor games, they've also had a few good ones - give them the run of the green and they will deliver, that's what football is all about. Well done Johnny Herd, you stood up well last night, but those who know better still think you're not good enough and doubt your inclusion in any of their team line ups - because they know best - once again I will say it I'd rather have the likes of Herd, Paterson, Spencer and Crawford playing in the first team and trying their best than watch the absolute rubbish that has been dished up over the last few months.

I for one am delighted that Widdrington has walked - his sideline antics have been as poor as I can ever remember, his constant berating of the players and his swearing has been, not as some would think passionate, it has been almost to make him look like a bully. The rumours from the training ground of crap training may have been true or not, but I can only see him leaving as a positive.

I now look forward with relish the departure of Mr Sturrock, his pathetic hoofball tactics and team selections and team formations have been utter rubbish. Don't get me wrong if we suddenly win our next 20 games and win promotion I may change my mind!

Sorry if you don't like it Yorkshire but that is my honest opinions. I will leave it to those who know better to deliberate.

You do realise that your constant, ironic use of the phrase "those who know best" implies that you, yourself think your opinion is more valid than others, right?

You talk about patience, but where's your patience with the new manager, the new players? You want results in a flash, if the manager and assistant manager don't deliver immediately they are thrown on the scrap heap of having pathetic tactics, being a bully.

You belittle the achievements of a manager who is putting together the basis of our first decent defence in 5 years. In the last 8 league games Bilel has played in, we've conceded just 4 goals. We now haven't conceded for our last 446 minutes in games where Bilel and Barker have both been available. That's tangible progress. You're expecting him to come in overnight and build a defence from scratch, build a midfield from scratch, build an attack from scratch, develop a style of play all from scratch. Where's your patience?

The team is young and the team is inexperienced, but unlike Paterson they've showed me glimpses of what they could achieve at this level (wins and impressive performances against Torquay and Bradford and apparently Cheltenham last night, impressive defensive showings where we look like having a good defensive unit against the likes of Rotherham and Lincoln, team spirit to come from behind at Stevenage, Shrewsbury, Stockport, Accrington) they've given me something to believe in. When Matt Paterson starts to show glimpses that he can cope with football and physicality at this level, like Harry Crawford has, I'll then be calling for him to be given more game time but he's offered absolutely nothing.

Have you even been to any of our say last 20 games, bar the odd abberation we have been absolute rubbish - please tell me we haven't? Yes, we've got a couple of points from a few games where we've grabbed a late equaliser or two - but our football including those games has been some of the worst I've seen in 40 years!

This is a young team (even though the majority of the youngsters don't get played!), but inexperienced? I think not, both keepers, Clohessy, Coughlan, Barker, Phillips, Gilbert, Timlin, Grant, Easton, Soares, Zaboub, Corr and Blair are all experienced professional players - Sturrock brought them all in because he believed they were all capable of playing for us in League 1 - hey we're a few points off the relegation in L2 - or am I just dreaming all of this?

As for Paterson, once again you just can't help yourself - shown you nothing? So you didn't cheer him when he banged in two against Bristol or the double he got at Barnet - oh, hang on I remember now, you said Bristol didn't play their strongest 11 and Barnet were simply the worst team you had ever seen - mmm seems thankfully after last nights win we're only 4 points above them in the league now.

The one relevant point that you do make is the fact that the kids at this club have had almost nothing to do with the crap football we have watched, in the main it has been down to the experienced players Sturrock brought in and his and TW tactics.

Hey if we start playing football as we did last night, week in week out I will be the first one to raise my glass and salute Mr Sturrock and the players, however, when they are not performing I will say so - even if others believe they know better.

Have you even been to any of our say last 20 games, bar the odd abberation we have been absolute rubbish - please tell me we haven't? Yes, we've got a couple of points from a few games where we've grabbed a late equaliser or two - but our football including those games has been some of the worst I've seen in 40 years!

I've been to the majority of the last 20 games. Defensively we've been generally pretty sound, but apparently defence doesn't matter. I want more going forward, more like Bradford away or Torquay at home, but where's that patience you were preaching?

This is a young team (even though the majority of the youngsters don't get played!), but inexperienced? I think not, both keepers, Clohessy, Coughlan, Barker, Phillips, Gilbert, Timlin, Grant, Easton, Soares, Zaboub, Corr and Blair are all experienced professional players - Sturrock brought them all in because he believed they were all capable of playing for us in League 1 - hey we're a few points off the relegation in L2 - or am I just dreaming all of this?

Whilst they have some experience the majority of the players are still very much in the learning phase and moreover they are clearly inexperienced as a team, particularly if you factor in injuries to the likes of Easton, Barker and Corr (the spine of the team).

Why do you even bother to mention Phillips who has been injured pretty much the entire time he's been here? Clohessy had 37 league starts to his name before he joined us. Timlin was briefly here on loan and has made 86 league starts in his career. That's enough to suggest he has some pedigree and some experience but it's hardly veteran status is it.

As for Paterson, once again you just can't help yourself - shown you nothing? So you didn't cheer him when he banged in two against Bristol or the double he got at Barnet - oh, hang on I remember now, you said Bristol didn't play their strongest 11 and Barnet were simply the worst team you had ever seen - mmm seems thankfully after last nights win we're only 4 points above them in the league now.

IN THE LEAGUE.

He has eight appearances this year in the league, including three starts. In those eight appearances I think his highlight was winning a corner.

Do you think this is encouraging? Do you think that this refutes the suggestion that he's lightweight and can't cope with the physicality (or even speed) of league two?

Why oh why do you have to justify your comments with another 'he's lightweight' and 'can't cope'?

For me it is simple he has not been given his opportunity in the League, but took it with both hands when asked to play in the cup games - there's no animosity to the player because he didn't score in two very poor games against Port Vale and Crewe, a very good performance against Chesterfield and a handful of fleeting minutes as a substitute. He's a kid learning his trade, give him a chance ffs. You've already written him off, this is the point I am trying to make. I don't think he's the miracle striker that we need, but don't write him off after a few games - the lad has scored goals, therefore he's a goal scorer.

If I were to sit here and pick out the individual faults of each and every player in the squad I would be writing all night - why do you continually pick on the kids?

The one relevant point that you do make is the fact that the kids at this club have had almost nothing to do with the crap football we have watched, in the main it has been down to the experienced players Sturrock brought in and his and TW tactics.

Hey if we start playing football as we did last night, week in week out I will be the first one to raise my glass and salute Mr Sturrock and the players, however, when they are not performing I will say so - even if others believe they know better.

No your not dreaming, we are four points off a relegation place. But equally, we are only five points points off a play of spot and we have a better goal difference than the seven teams below us, (significantly better than the bottom four sides). We also have the same or better goal difference than the four teams above us in the league, which suggests to me, that we are basically a mid table outfit (we are just a couple of points off 10th). If Sturrock can achieve a mid table finish, given the handicaps he faced when he was appointed, from virtually no players through to supporter hostility, he will have done ok in my book.

What an excellent thread, with well thought out posts and a passionate debate, without getting at all abusive. Well done chaps, keep it up, more of the same please:clap:

No your not dreaming, we are four points off a relegation place. But equally, we are only five points points off a play of spot and we have a better goal difference than the seven teams below us, (significantly better than the bottom four sides). We also have the same or better goal difference than the four teams above us in the league, which suggests to me, that we are basically a mid table outfit (we are just a couple of points off 10th). If Sturrock can achieve a mid table finish, given the handicaps he faced when he was appointed, from virtually no players through to supporter hostility, he will have done ok in my book.

I doff my hat to you :happy:Having just looked at the league table you are spot on! Lets hope that we can continue with the great football we played last night and push on up the table, using the full squad to help us achieve at least mid table mediocrity. Still don't like Sturrock, his persona, tactics or team selections, but hey I hated Steve McLaren but still shouted my head off for England!!

UTBs

Why oh why do you have to justify your comments with another 'he's lightweight' and 'can't cope'?

For me it is simple he has not been given his opportunity in the League, but took it with both hands when asked to play in the cup games - there's no animosity to the player because he didn't score in two very poor games against Port Vale and Crewe, a very good performance against Chesterfield and a handful of fleeting minutes as a substitute. He's a kid learning his trade, give him a chance ffs. You've already written him off, this is the point I am trying to make. I don't think he's the miracle striker that we need, but don't write him off after a few games - the lad has scored goals, therefore he's a goal scorer.

If I were to sit here and pick out the individual faults of each and every player in the squad I would be writing all night - why do you continually pick on the kids?

I really, really don't want to get into another argument with you about Paterson because we've done it so many times and neither of us will ever accept what the other is saying, but I need to ask this:

Why do you never even acknowledge Paterson's league performances for Southend? You constantly cling to these two cup matches in which he looked good and scored goals but never seem to mention that the guy has started more league games for Southend than Gary Hooper did, just one fewer than Blair Sturrock has, and in all that football has managed just two goals, one of which was the result of one of the worst goalskeeping howlers in recent memory.

Probably because he's lightweight, and his quite dismal league goal scoring record suggests that he's struggling to cope with the exposure to League football at his age. A friend of mine who's a relatively experienced football coach, who watched Southend from time to time, gave me the opinion that Paterson looks like a lad who possibly developed quite quickly at an early age and, as such, was used to being bigger, stronger and/or quicker than players in his age group. Perhaps he became reliant on those attributes and when he made the step-up to regular senior football, it came as something of a culture shock to him.

There's nothing wrong with being of a slighter build than most, the likes of Iniesta, Xavi and Messi seem to cope just fine, but then you need to model your game around your other attributes... Paterson's being the fact he strikes me as quite an intelligent player and his first touch isn't horrendous. Paterson hasn't shown me that he's capable of doing so, and in that case he simply doesn't warrant inclusion ahead of Sturrock or Corr. There's the argument that he has been better than German and Jarvis, and I agree that he's shown more than those two, but those two players in particular came to the club with a solid reputation of potential... They just haven't worked out as signings and that does happen in football.

Your assertion that he's scored goals, therefor he's a goalscorer, doesn't really bear much fruit considering his goal scoring record for us in the League. I've praised Paterson in the past and he certainly has his attributes, but he does seem to lack that killer instinct to go on a goalscoring run. One of the best, most notable forwards we've had for this in recent years is ironically the player Southampton got in exchange for Paterson; Barnard. If the ball fell to Barnard in the box, you know he'd get his shot off and 6/7 times out of ten he'd convert. I can't say the same for Paterson at the moment.

YB's responding to your argument which centres around your defence of Paterson, and he's hardly trolling the board wishing Paterson to be slung out of the club, is he? YB has also fronted Crawford's cause a number of times on this thread as a positive example to use for a youth striker, so it's not a simple case of picking on the kids either.

Last edited:
Probably because he's lightweight, and his quite dismal league goal scoring record suggests that he's struggling to cope with the exposure to League football at his age. A friend of mine who's a relatively experienced football coach, who watched Southend from time to time, gave me the opinion that Paterson looks like a lad who possibly developed quite quickly at an early age and, as such, was used to being bigger, stronger and/or quicker than players in his age group. Perhaps he became reliant on those attributes and when he made the step-up to regular senior football, it came as something of a culture shock to him.

There's nothing wrong with being of a slighter build than most, the likes of Iniesta, Xavi and Messi seem to cope just fine, but then you need to model your game around your other attributes... Paterson's being the fact he strikes me as quite an intelligent player and his first touch isn't horrendous. Paterson hasn't shown me that he's capable of doing so, and in that case he simply doesn't warrant inclusion ahead of Sturrock or Corr. There's the argument that he has been better than German and Jarvis, and I agree that he's shown more than those two, but those two players in particular came to the club with a solid reputation of potential... They just haven't worked out as signings and that does happen in football.

Your assertion that he's scored goals, therefor he's a goalscorer, doesn't really bear much fruit considering his goal scoring record for us in the League. I've praised Paterson in the past and he certainly has his attributes, but he does seem to lack that killer instinct to go on a goalscoring run. One of the best, most notable forwards we've had for this in recent years is ironically the player Southampton got in exchange for Paterson; Barnard. If the ball fell to Barnard in the box, you know he'd get his shot off and 6/7 times out of ten he'd convert. I can't say the same for Paterson at the moment.

YB's responding to your argument which centres around your defence of Paterson, and he's hardly trolling the board wishing Paterson to be slung out of the club, is he? YB has also fronted Crawford's cause a number of times on this thread as a positive example to use for a youth striker, so it's not a simple case of picking on the kids either.

Remind me again who these guys play for? :raspberry:

<Tiki-Taka Football. Coming Soon< Coming down to earth very soon now.

Because he looks lightweight and that he can't cope with the physicality of league two. What should I do, pretend he isn't and ignore all the evidence to the contrary?

He has been given opportunities and he hasn't taken them. As I said before: Crawford has made more of an impact in fewer opportunities.

I appreciate that he's learning the trade, but he looks so far away from being ready to contribute at this level.

I don't continually pick on the kids. I'm more than willing to back young players that show they have something about them. I backed the likes of Franck Moussa and Anthony Grant when they were 20 year olds not yet playing regular first team football and called for Tilly to play them together in centre-midfield. I think James Lewis-Merrick may have a bit about him if he keeps developing and I look forward to him pushing on this season and challenging for some first team action. I hope he does and more follow him, but I'm not going to blindly call for every kid who plays for the Southend youth team to be promoted to the first team. More of them fail than succeed in professional football.

But give me a young kid like Sean Morrison (sadly we only had him on loan) and I'll be more than happy to back them. He was so much more advanced than our young supposedly promising players despite being younger than them! This season I'm really pleased with Mohsni and Hall. I appreciate that both are a little older but they are very raw as they haven't been training full-time or professionally until this year and that they will make mistakes. They aren't going to be consistent and I don't expect them to be consistent. I'm willing to put up with the errors whilst they learn because they're still offering something in the meantime. I'm not going to be calling Mohsni rubbish when he starts to tire in February/March time and the errors creep back in; I'm not going to say get rid of Hall when he puts in a poor performances after a good one. I'm fully prepared to be patient with these young players.

Now are you prepared to patient with a manager who's showing signs of building a strong base?

What an excellent thread, with well thought out posts and a passionate debate, without getting at all abusive. Well done chaps, keep it up, more of the same please:clap:

Here here.

I'm glad someone else has picked up on our goal difference. Baseball statisticians have developed a similar thing for baseball, pythagorean expectation, which looks at team's winning (and losing) margins and calculates how many games they could be expected to win based on the number of runs scored and allowed. Comparing the actual winning percentage to the pythagorean winning percentage allows you to evaluate how "lucky" that team was by stripping away luck: the theory being that external factors like luck can decide close games. In practice this seems to be a better predictor of a team's fortunes than looking at wining percentages. Teams that substantially outperform their pythagorean expectation tend to regress to the mean the following season.

Same old faces jump on the band wagon, good to see that you enjoy the chase - Beefy, Yorkshire, ESB!

Why do you never even acknowledge Paterson's league performances for Southend?

I have said on numerous occasions he was rubbish against Port Vale and Crewe (but so were the whole squad) and they do not get any amount of the abuse you give Pato. He was excellent against Cheltenham, as were the whole team - but you don't acknowledge that. Apart from that he has had a few fleeting moments as a substitute. What he needs is a run of games, say ten - then judge the lad. Remember he's only a youngster. Corr is 26 and Blair 29, they've the experience.

likes of Iniesta, Xavi and Messi seem to cope just fine

And they play for??? give me a break, we're talking about a youngster coming through the Academy's and trying to make his mark, not a world class international player playing for the best team in the world - get a grip!

YB's responding to your argument which centres around your defence of Paterson

My defence of Paterson is based solely on the facts that a joined us and wasn't paid for three/four months, chose to stay during the summer and was our best striker pre-season. He was then dropped for the opening game of the season, played in the cup where he scored twice and was then dropped again. When 'brought back' by Sturrock he scored twice more and following the Crewe game we have never seen him. This in my opinion is a horrendous way to treat an up and coming young professional player - and surely our results this season confirm that we could have done with another goal scorer given more opportunity? I will confirm yet again, I do not think that he is the answer to our goalscoring problems, he is however a striker who should have been given more opportunity and a run of games to prove himself - in my honest opinion!

He has been given opportunities and he hasn't taken them

Seriously? 5 starts all season and 4 goals? I don't care if my striker has a **** game, as long as the games he's not **** in he scores goals! Surely opportunities is about a run of games and not just a start here and there?

This season I'm really pleased with Mohsni and Hall

One continually gets caught out of position and cannot keep his temper under control and the other is consistantly left on the bench by Sturrock and not played? Do you mean on Tuesday night you were really pleased with Mohsni and Hall? Don't get me wrong, I really like both players but Billy has been probably our most exciting player but also our most disappointing - Hall is the best winger at the club and god knows why Sturrock doesn't pick him!

Now are you prepared to patient with a manager who's showing signs of building a strong base?

Sorry are you talking about Mr Sturrock? At what point this season has it looked like he is showing signs of building a strong base? He has a squad of 'his' players with no confidence and no morale and a bunch of youngsters who are at their wits end because their football careers have stalled at Southend. He has sacked his assistant coach, seemingly because he won't tow the his party line - where is the strong base? Football is a results based game - 2 wins in 12 would have seen the manager removed in many of our contemporaries. If Tuesday night was the first green shoot of of this 'strong base' you talk about then lets keep our fingers crossed.

Here here.

Finally we agree on something, here, here lol :hilarious:

Same old faces jump on the band wagon, good to see that you enjoy the chase - Beefy, Yorkshire, ESB!

There's no bandwagon. We just disagree with you. Again, your post completely ignores the bulk of Paterson's league performances for the Club. He's start 12 matches.

likes of Iniesta, Xavi and Messi seem to cope just fine

And they play for??? give me a break, we're talking about a youngster coming through the Academy's and trying to make his mark, not a world class international player playing for the best team in the world - get a grip!

Why is there a bandwagon? Why are you so quick to dismiss others' opinions that counter yours, labelling it as some kind of intentional band wagon to undermine Paterson?

And you're completely ignoring my point. The players I've listed are all slight of build, yet they've accomplished a lot in football in spite of that as they've modelled their game around their strengths, rather than weaknesses. If you're after a League Two comparison, then Adam Le Fondre is by no means your archetypal League Two centre forward, but he scores the bulk of his goals by working off the second striker and getting into advantageous positions.

Good footballers work to their advantages, and I haven't seen Paterson do that.

No.Espanyol's fans are much better.Tune in on Saturday and you'll see.:loyalsupporter:

Espanyol have fans, now?

Back