• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No Mitchell Johnson. Poor Old Barmy Army will be lost.

Who will be this year's target?

That side looks weak.... on paper.

Australia are crap , the selectors should all get sacked, if you pommes dont beat us ,then you all will really have a reason to complain.Seriously cricket here at present is a shambles,you see that by our performances in India.Absolutely pathetic,We do however have one decent batsmen,and a couple of good bowlers if they can stay injury free, our spinners are *****,thats if you can really call them spinners.As for our wicketkeeper ,well the seleectors have recalled the tried and failed many times Haddin and even made him vice captain,wonder if Ponting and Hussey wanna make a comeback.:smile:

Would love to have Monty bowling, but I expect he will only appear when needed. For me, he's definitely a better spinner than Swanny, just lacks luck at times imo.

But Swann has other attributes:

• He can field
  • He can catch
  • He is a better batsman
  • He is very funny on Twitter

The Australian pick looks like damage limitation from where I'm sitting and is reminiscent of a time when England were rolling in the ****.

Strong statement to include only one spinner in Lyon, and I'd bet on England to go after him big time.

Looking at their squad compared to our likely one (injury permitting), and I'd only put 3 Aussies in a combined XI, and Pattison over Finn was marginal.

Cook
Watson
Trott
Pietersen
Clarke
Bell
Prior
Swann
Broad
Pattison
Anderson

England 3-1 by my reckoning.

Pathetic batting by England at Lord's must have the Australian's rubbing their hands. This new approach, seemingly developed, in NZ of a tortoise-like run-rate just leaves us vulnerabl;e if a few wickets go down. We cannot go into the Ashes series with a top three of Cook, Compton and Trott as we will never score at a rate beyong 2.5 an over, at best. Compton has to make way for a more dashing opener in the Trescothick mode. If we stick with those as a top three I am going for an Aussie 3-0 victory.

As I keep on saying, the Ashes is far from over. This is not a great England team.

Fortunately Australia aren't all that either so I think it'll be close unless we catch Australia cold and demoralise them.

Ross Taylor single-handedly taking the England bowling apart, showing the value of having players who score at a good rate - unlike the England top 6.

Agreed, what utter tripe. India (home/away) aside, I'm struggling to remember when England actually last played (or at least batted) well since the last Ashes.

what a sad state of affairs that I'm already praying for rain!

England have suddenly turned into the most boring team in the world! The top 3 are too slow. Id have Root opening with Cook,and look at the Lions team for some inspiration in KP's absence. Maybe Carberry or Chopra deserve a go?

Cook and Trott's strike rates are fine in test matches. Trott often races to 20 runs in his innings before settling into a long bat.

Compton causes a little problem because he regularly has a strike rate of around 20 and doesn't appear to have another gear once he is set.

Let's continue the excellent summer of sport (again). A 5-0 whitewash would be nice :smile:

Back