• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shame Le Saux fell out with the BBC, he was shaping up quite well on the England games. The worst by far they had in there was Joe Royle who was just SO negative all the time, it was almost like making wiggy co-commentator :-)

During this tourney I have kept toying with the Red button option to access the 5live commentary. Alan Green I cant stand, Mike Ingham is good and Waddle is ok sometimes but then other times I keep thinking of that bit in Alan Partridge where he can never understand what the Geordie bloke is saying.

Motson had his time... but who will replace him? an ex-pro with no charisma or base intelligence whatsoever.

One need only utter the words "Sally Gunnell" to realise that, all too frequently, while TV companies think that they're going for a safe pair of hands when they appoint a well-loved former sports star into the role of commentator, it is in fact all-too-often a disastrous move.

Crucially, former sports-men and -women often lack enough distance and perspective on their sport not only to commentate on it, but also to provide some sort of critique on what they're seeing. This seems particularly acute with ex-athletes - who seem to find it all-but-impossible to criticise fellow athletes (since they understand the efforts and privations that the athletes go through in order to compete); but it is also far too often the case with footballers.

I realise that Motty has, sadly, probably had his day. Pearce I feel a bit sorry for - he should have been born Colombian; they'd love him out there. Green, surely, is deeply odious and not liked by anyone bar his mother?

But that doesn't alter the fact that being an ex-footballer is not the sole determining factor as to whether or not you're any cop as a commentator? In fact, your ability as a commentator should be determined solely by:

1. Your ability with words - i.e. do you have a wide enough vocabulary and broad enough knowledge of the context in which that vocabulary should be used, in order to be interesting?

2. Your eyesight and speed of brain-to-mouth - can you describe with sufficient speed and accuracy what you are seeing?

3. Your voice - is it interesting tonally, and is it pleasant on the ear?

4. Your knowledge of and interest in the game and, perhaps, its wider context in the world of sport - e.g. Stephen Fry would score big points on numbers 1-3, but if he can't do number 4, then he'll probably not make much of a footy commentator. And it's this "wider context" that separates the really good commentators from the also-rans - e.g. Gunnell is too close to her fellow athletes to find it in herself to criticise a Briton - since she can't appreciate the wider context that when a Briton has just finised 7th in the semi-final, that's actually bloody disappointing when he or she has been beaten by a Kenyan who gets by on $100 a month.

I agree that ex-pros as summarisers is a good thing - they can give you an idea of what the players are going through in any given context because they've actually been there. But in no way, shape or form does your ability with a ball at your feet correspond in any way to whether or not you'll have any ability with a microphone in your hand.

If there is an exception to this rule, it may be cricket, where it appears to be far more frequent and indeed acceptable to be a lone-shark in a team game - cricketers seem to have a sense of perspective and an ability to distance themselves from their team-mates even during their careers. Thus, you have plenty of world class players who have gone on to be world class commentators - obviously Benaud (who famously had no compunction in calling the act of a fellow Australian cricket captain - the infamous Chappell underarm ball - "disgusting"... can you imagine a ex-footballer or ex-athlete saying the same about one of their fellow pros?), but also Holding, Gower, Boycott, Ian Smith, and Tony Greig.

As for football, while there are one or two who aren't too bad behind the mike - I quite like Andy Gray; Kammy's enthusiasm is infectious; and Pleat / Graham Taylor are impressively astute when discussing tactics - the overwhelming majority of pros-turned-commentators are extraordinarily bland... Lineker, Dixon, Alan Smith, Le Tissier, Keown, Crooks, Townsend, and especially Shearer. Even Hansen is turning into a parody of himself after a promising start.

So, here's hoping they find the next Motty from amongst the ranks of the up-and-coming commentators (one of my fellow MCC commentators is a potential commentating star, I reckon - he's superb behind the mike), rather than turning to a tired old pro in another tired old appointment.

Matt

Last edited:
MtS - what on earth would make you think that Alan Green is even liked by his mother?

I'm sure psychologists would also suggest that his complete downer on everything was caused by a lack of maternal love.

MtS - what on earth would make you think that Alan Green is even liked by his mother?

I'm sure psychologists would also suggest that his complete downer on everything was caused by a lack of maternal love.

You may have a point. I was thinking of the well-known phrase "he has a face that only a mother could love", which certainly applies to Green.

:dizzy:

Motty was awful again tonight, came out with some extremely random things- Its marvellous if you're in Madrid, Beautiful if you're in Barcalona etc.

Motty was awful again tonight, came out with some extremely random things- Its marvellous if you're in Madrid, Beautiful if you're in Barcalona etc.

That bit was excruciating.

Having just listened to his interview with Fabregas, I sincerely hope Garth Crooks ****s right off now too.

Isn't Desailly the craziest cat the BBC have ever let in front of the camera , he's one crazy mo-fo.

Isn't Desailly the craziest cat the BBC have ever let in front of the camera , he's one crazy mo-fo.
haha does anyone understand him? Agree with Garth Crooks, possibly the scariest man alive.

More crackers-
The senors will become seniors...
ole ole ole
where the Spaniards sitting... well most of them are standing-who cares??

Also, did he call this the worst German side ever??

Close to, but not quite, what Big Ron called him off camera back in 2004.

Didn't realise it was Desailly that Big Ron committed the biggest ever schoolboy error on .

Wouldn't mind Desailly commentating on on of Southends games as he is always so positive about things , even when a team is 4-0 down he still thinks their in with a chance of winning the game still.

Was I the only person to find the Ray Stubbs interviews with Desailly hilarious?

It was brilliant the way Stubbs imitated an idiot trying to hold a conversation with a foreigner, speaking _slowly_ in monosyllabic English. I was just waiting for him to start shouting if Desailly failed to understand one of his questions.

Easily the highlight of an otherwise boring final.

Was I the only person to find the Ray Stubbs interviews with Desailly hilarious?

It was brilliant the way Stubbs imitated an idiot trying to hold a conversation with a foreigner, speaking _slowly_ in monosyllabic English. I was just waiting for him to start shouting if Desailly failed to understand one of his questions.

Easily the highlight of an otherwise boring final.

Can't be having that. Not the greatest game ever admittedly - although the tournament as a whole has been superb - but Spain played some cracking football and could easily have one by two or more. A lot of the papers do star ratings for games - I'd have given it 3 stars.

My favourite moment was after Spain had beaten Russia 4-1.

Stubbs: So Marcel would you say that Spain are the best team in this tournament?

Desailly: Errr Yes, definately for me...Germany.

Desailly, another shocking choice of pundit. His pre/post match pitch interviews mainly consist of him shouting a lot into the microphone.

Back