• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The EU Referendum

How are you voting?

• Leave

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • Remain

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Agency staff are costing around 5 billion and rising.
Far too many managers whose salaries are very nice indeed.
Jobs for the boys/girls,not what you know it's who you know.

The CEO of Stafford trust quit her role only to sidestep into another made up role within the same trust and the same salary of over 200k per year.

I get all that, even though they sound like issues of mismanagement rather than the kind of demands that leeblue was referring to. What I'm curious about is how an increase to the population of more than 2.5 million people is apparently not a factor in the latest "crisis".

I'm quite happy to confirm that I went to a local boarding school (my parents choice),then Eastwood HS (my choice) and finally Westcliff HS (after "O" levels).

Bully for you. Then you should now be happy to confirm the difference between having that oppotunity and wanting to deny others the very same.

The plain fact of the matter is, that I would not have suceeded in getting 5 "O "levels at Highfield College.I was lucky the school closed when it did.Ask Cricko.

Rather than denying others the chance to attend a private school, I'd be happy enough if their charitable status was ended, (as I hope it will be by a future Labour government).

I get all that, even though they sound like issues of mismanagement rather than the kind of demands that leeblue was referring to. What I'm curious about is how an increase to the population of more than 2.5 million people is apparently not a factor in the latest "crisis".

I see what you mean now,

You have to ask ,how many new hospitals have been built say in the last 10 years,how many have been bulldozed in the same period?

The creaking NHS cannot cope with the extra burden of millions of extra people living here and not forgetting health tourists.

Simple anology,

3 bed house with both parents and 2 or 3 kids....comfortable living and not overcrowded.

3 bed house with both parents,grandparents and 8 children...vastly overcrowded and the amenities in that house cannot cope resulting in queues for the loo,bathroom,bed space .

The fact that people are living,on average,about 20 years longer than they used to.

This accounts for around 80% of current pressures we face in the NHS on daily basis. Some would say we are a victim of our own success. Here have statins for your cholesterol, here are a cocktail of drugs to keep your heart going, pneumonia....sorted there's a jab for that etc etc etc
This leaves us with an ageing population that become frail and infirm....but perfect blood pressures.
The NHS has never expanded to cope with this.
Other factors for.the troubles....budget cuts, terrible recruitment. I won't play the I migration card because roughly 5% of the patients I see are immigrants where as the amazing team I work with are around 40% immigrants and the fact is without them there is no NHS.

This accounts for around 80% of current pressures we face in the NHS on daily basis. Some would say we are a victim of our own success. Here have statins for your cholesterol, here are a cocktail of drugs to keep your heart going, pneumonia....sorted there's a jab for that etc etc etc
This leaves us with an ageing population that become frail and infirm....but perfect blood pressures.
Other factors for.the troubles....budget cuts, terrible recruitment. I won't play the I migration card because roughly 5% of the patients I see are immigrants where as the amazing team I work with are around 40% immigrants and the fact is without them there is no NHS.

Is there an answer to the problems you have highlighted?

Is there an answer to the problems you have highlighted?

An endless pit of money and basically doubling the capacity we currently have.
Obviously this isn't going to happen.
Therefore a mass expansion and mass improvement of social care is required...This also is not going to happen.

A slight increase in nurse wages would make a huge difference. Let me tell you my experience of late. In A@E if nursing staff took a bank shift (overtime) they would get a small enhancement to encourage uptake. Recently this enhancement was taken away and guess what....people stop doing extra....tHis leaves the bosses with no choice but to use agency staff which will cost double the enhanced rate....madness personified. Oh did I mention you get taxed at 25% for doing this shift too. Thus millions getting spent on agency.
Southend hospital has to trim around 8 million pounds from its spend......
And let's not forget the tories actively looking to privatise the whole thing.
Once all this is sorted the NHS will be fine.

Last edited:

What are these budget cuts you speak of? The NHS budget was £116.4 billion for 2015/16 which is greater than the previous year and the year before that. Further increases are scheduled through to 2020/21.

What are these budget cuts you speak of? The NHS budget was £116.4 billion for 2015/16 which is greater than the previous year and the year before that. Further increases are scheduled through to 2020/21.

I think we all know that the NHS budget has not been increased in line with the disproportionate increase in the demand for its services, with people living much longer, availability of improved medical treatments etc.

Or do you pay for private healthcare?

Southend hospital has to trim 8 million pounds this year.
We certainly have not been told to spend any extra...
Last year the Acute medical unit was basically halved in staff and capacity....was that due to cuts or having so much money they didn't know what to do.
You keep up with those stats though....tories rule yay

I think we all know that the NHS budget has not been increased in line with the disproportionate increase in the demand for its services, with people living much longer, availability of improved medical treatments etc.

Or do you pay for private healthcare?

I do now. I consider it a necessary evil these days.

Southend hospital has to trim 8 million pounds this year.
We certainly have not been told to spend any extra...
Last year the Acute medical unit was basically halved in staff and capacity....was that due to cuts or having so much money they didn't know what to do.
You keep up with those stats though....tories rule yay

And you with yours.

Who exactly is demanding the £8m haircut?

Agree with leeblue, through my years working on the NHS, the problems certainly wern't immigrants. The aging population is not only a problem, or even a large problem, it is the cause of a huge majority of the problem. And there is nothing to be done about that apart from increasing capacity for services. And the only way to do that is increasing budgets, not by a little bit but it needs huge huge increases.
The other problem from my point of view is the general health of the population. The obesity epidemic is crazy and only going to get worse. I recently had a patient (now working in Aus) who told me they didn't have any serious illnesses. Turns out on further questioning they were type 2 diabetic. They should try walking around a renal dialysis unit and see if they think it isn't a major illness. This again, by the look of it, is only going to get worse.

And you with yours.

Who exactly is demanding the £8m haircut?

My understanding is that Southend General Hospital has had to declare "internal emergency" on several occasions this year; which under current "thinking" automatically causes it to be fined to the tune of many £100k - each and everytime - I can't see how that helps but what do I know?
Also Southend pays more agency costs as it can't recruit/retain proper staff as 15 miles down the road basildon Hospital pay £3K+ more as they are paying outer London rates.
This is off the main thread topic but is a reply to ^^^^^^^.

Back