• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The European Debate Thread

Do you honestly think that someone can live in a country until their late 20's/early thirties without knowing what everyday life in that country is really like? :dim:

My God you make yourself look dim sometimes. This country has changed beyond all recognition in the last 35 years since you last spent any length of time here. You know diddly squat about what it's like to live and work here.

Do you honestly think that someone who has spent the last 35 years living in another country knows what it's like to live everyday life in another?

My God you make yourself look dim sometimes. This country has changed beyond all recognition in the last 35 years since you last spent any length of time here. You know diddly squat about what it's like to live and work here.

Do you honestly think that someone who has spent the last 35 years living in another country knows what it's like to live everyday life in another?

I left the golden sands of Southend 8 years ago and return for the first time last decemeber and could not believe how much my old town had changed but to be fair to Perez he is the experts of experts.

I respect peoples' rights to state their opinions and BS , rightly, IMO, states how much things changed in his 8 years away. I have lived away for long periods; and always the changes are more noticeable to me on return: with family here just not really seen "the slow creeping tide" of change.
Tesco roundabout on the A127 was a real shock when I first saw that!
I am surprised Barney has not noticed these things more as he is away so much & I think he would see the social changes also if he spent time down the High Street, York Road, or Hamlet Court Road.
The seafront is posher, palm trees etc but surely the empty and derelict wastes of Vic Avenue offices and the old Echo site tell a story?

I respect peoples' rights to state their opinions and BS , rightly, IMO, states how much things changed in his 8 years away. I have lived away for long periods; and always the changes are more noticeable to me on return: with family here just not really seen "the slow creeping tide" of change.
Tesco roundabout on the A127 was a real shock when I first saw that!
I am surprised Barney has not noticed these things more as he is away so much & I think he would see the social changes also if he spent time down the High Street, York Road, or Hamlet Court Road.
The seafront is posher, palm trees etc but surely the empty and derelict wastes of Vic Avenue offices and the old Echo site tell a story?

I make a point of walking up the High Street and along the seafront every time I'm back and I also stay quite near Hamlet Court Road.

I'd be really interested to know what specifically has changed in Southend since I was over for the Dagenham game at the end of December?

I make a point of walking up the High Street and along the seafront every time I'm back and I also stay quite near Hamlet Court Road.

I'd be really interested to know what specifically has changed in Southend since I was over for the Dagenham game at the end of December?
Changes?
A127 at Tesco is being re-done due to increase in traffic/airport/cars.
Builders are going to start on new housing at Hall Road and Priory Crescent = more people/cars & traffic.
HARP have opened their new homeless centre on York Road & are immediately over busy.
No change at Roots Hall. (no change can be a bad thing too).
MP Amess became a "Sir" for no good reason other than to allow many people to be further disquieted about politics/honours/corruption/values.
Schools, hospital, police express unease at depth of cuts and their inability to operate.
These are just a few, quick items. I am sure more can be added by fellow Shrimpers.

Changes?
A127 at Tesco is being re-done due to increase in traffic/airport/cars.
Builders are going to start on new housing at Hall Road and Priory Crescent = more people/cars & traffic.
HARP have opened their new homeless centre on York Road & are immediately over busy.
No change at Roots Hall. (no change can be a bad thing too).
MP Amess became a "Sir" for no good reason other than to allow many people to be further disquieted about politics/honours/corruption/values.
Schools, hospital, police express unease at depth of cuts and their inability to operate.
These are just a few, quick items. I am sure more can be added by fellow Shrimpers.

You mentioned specifically the High Street,York Road,Hamlet Court Road and the seafront.

Only the new homeless centre in York Road fits in that category.

I've got news for you.Just over 2 million British citizens live in other EU countries, (about 1 million of them in Spain).That's pretty similar to the amount of EU citizens from other countries currently living in the UK.

https://euobserver.com/social/123066

You're the sort of venomous xenophobe who really can't comprehend why any Brit.would want to live abroad.

I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to the idea.It's a phenomenon which is likely to increase in the future.

Then why would the UK be charged if we left the EU.

Because International banks would no longer want to use London as their Europen H.Q.

"Goldman Sachs is just one example of over 250 foreign banks based in London who rely on our EU membership. If they didn't have access to trade across the EU, they simply wouldn't stay here."

"Financial services account for 10% of the UK's tax take, half of which comes from international firms headquartered in London. Losing that would be hugely damaging to our economy."

Because International banks would no longer want to use London as their Europen H.Q.

"Goldman Sachs is just one example of over 250 foreign banks based in London who rely on our EU membership. If they didn't have access to trade across the EU, they simply wouldn't stay here."

"Financial services account for 10% of the UK's tax take, half of which comes from international firms headquartered in London. Losing that would be hugely damaging to our economy."

To be clear, you're in favour of investment banking and against anything that may lead to capital flight because it would reduce the tax take from high earners???

i take it therefore you oppose Labour's mansion tax and 50% tax rate proposals?

Right, obviously you have pasted the above in from somewhere so can anyone else answer my question who might actually know what they are talking about.

Neil F, I'm looking at you.

To be clear, you're in favour of investment banking and against anything that may lead to capital flight because it would reduce the tax take from high earners???

i take it therefore you oppose Labour's mansion tax and 50% tax rate proposals?

I most certainly do not, (in answer to your second question).High-end property is one of the few things that is not subject to the flight of capital.The mansion tax (although it won't bring in a great deal of revenue) is also immensley popular with Labour & Lib/Dem voters.

It so happens, that one of my brothers is an investment banker, (or venture capitalist, as he prefers to call himself these days).I'm certainly not in favour of him (or what he does for a living, either).

I most certainly do not, .

So are you withdrawing the link you posted? Would you be in favour of EU withdrawal if it meant the end of investment banking in the UK?

you do realise the irony of you defending EU membership because it would be good for Goldman Sachs???

I most certainly do not, (in answer to your second question).High-end property is one of the few things that is not subject to the flight of capital.The mansion tax (although it won't bring in a great deal of revenue) is also immensley popular with Labour & Lib/Dem voters.

It so happens, that one of my brothers is an investment banker, (or venture capitalist, as he prefers to call himself these days).I'm certainly not in favour of him (or what he does for a living, either).

Thought you were a Green.

So are you withdrawing the link you posted? Would you be in favour of EU withdrawal if it meant the end of investment banking in the UK?

you do realise the irony of you defending EU membership because it would be good for Goldman Sachs???

I'm certainly aware of the irony,(with regard to your second question), but remember there are at least 249 other foreign companies based in the city, apart from GS.

Given that the city accounts for some 10% of HMG's tax revenues,that's a loss that the UK economy could ill afford to bear,if GB left the EU, (which it won't).

Back