• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
BLUES GO FOURTH AFTER SADDLERS STROLL

Well, stroll might be too strong a word for what on paper was only a 1-0 victory but in reality Southend put on their best and most entertaining performance for many weeks as they totally dominated Walsall at Roots Hall today.

The fact that the scoreline wasn’t more emphatic was down to the post, the crossbar and a superb display by vistiing keeper Clayton Ince, who was only beaten by his own carthorse defender who formed half of possibly the worst professional central defence pairing I have ever seen.

Blues were quicker all over the pitch than their visitors and won every 50/50, 60/40 and even 70/30 challenge. Flahavan didn’t have a save to make all game and it was a mystery how Walsall were even in the same league. In the first half especially Blues approach play was delightful with quick one touch football ripping the visitors defence to shreds. Cross after cross rained in but unfortunately there was rarely a Blue head anywhere near where the ball was landing.

Walker nearly opened the scoring midway through the half when he raced clear and shot past Ince but the ball hit the post.

Barrett and Francis both had decent headers that fizzed inches over and Gower, back to his best, took the ball across goal and unleashed a thunderbolt from 20 yards that Ince superbly tipped onto the underside of the bar although it looked as though the ball may have crossed the line when it bounced down, but no goal was given and any claims were muted. This came after a slick passing move that must have been nearly 20 passes and Walsall had no answer.

However, with the game still goalless at the break one couldn’t help wonder whether we would end up losing as a result of failing to capitalise on our dominance.

Two minutes into the second half the wondering ceased. Another fine move that saw Gower involved 3 times ended with a precision ball inside the full back to Mulgrew who put a low ball into the box. Barnard was never going to get anywhere near it but, as he does, he made every effort to stretch and put the defender under pressure and it worked. The carthorse of a centre half tried to clear but only succeeded in putting the ball into his own net. 1-0

Walsall rallied briefly but Southend still had a good grip on the match. Francis produced a great save from Ince following a 25 yard thunderbolt and the keeper made another fine save from McCormack when he was clean through.
At 1-0 though, the game is never safe and there were a few heart stopping moments near the end when Walsall forced 2 or 3 corners but the Blues held firm and go up to fourth in League one, with the play offs looking very good indeed.

RATINGS

Flahavan – 6 – Had nothing to do.
Francis – 8 – Super game, has now really settled and is starting to really shine at right back. Fantastic shot in second half.
Mulgrew – 8.5 – Best game yet and set up the goal. Distribution generally very good.
Clarke – 8 – You know what you get. Passionate celebration at the end in front of the West. Made several excellent changes.
Barrett –8 Same as Clarke and is skippering the side well.
Gower – 9 – This was Gower at his best. Was unlucky not to have scored with a great shot from outside the box.
McCormack – 7.5 – Got a knock in the first half which slowed him up for a while. Should have settled in when clean through on goal.
Bailey – 8 – For once outshone by more than one player but he still put in a good performance and sprayed the ball about well.
Black – 7 – Better than of late but he should be doing much more than he actually is.
Walker – 7 – Seemed to want too many touches at times and doesn’t often make the right choices when deciding what to do with the ball. But was a real handful at times.
Barnard – 8.5 – Chased lost causes and pressed defenders into making errors. Their defence struggled to cope with him.

Subs –
All late changes – Moussa for Gower, Grant for Black and Scannell for Barnard. All subs 6, didn’t get involved enough to make an impact.
Ref – don’t know his name but pretty good I thought. 7.

I thought all four midfielders were class today. Bailey played deep, mopping up possession time and time again which allowed Macca to bomb forward. On ability we have two wingers here who are capable of playing at a far higher level than this and they both showed it today. Gower, as always, was at the heart of every threatening attacking play, and Tommy Black had, for me, his best game for the Club and always looked dangerous.

I thought all four midfielders were class today. Bailey played deep, mopping up possession time and time again which allowed Macca to bomb forward. On ability we have two wingers here who are capable of playing at a far higher level than this and they both showed it today. Gower, as always, was at the heart of every threatening attacking play, and Tommy Black had, for me, his best game for the Club and always looked dangerous.

Thought Black had a really game too even though Mark Gower was exceptional. Shame the idiots in front of East stand, cant actually support and encourage him rather than acting like spoilt schoolchildren. Makes you feel as if they actually will him to have a bad game its just a shame they dont voice their support as loud as their criticism.

Whole team was excellent today and cant remember a game when we had not only so many shots but also some fantastic shots from distance.

Thought Black had a really game too even though Mark Gower was exceptional. Shame the idiots in front of East stand, cant actually support and encourage him rather than acting like spoilt schoolchildren. Makes you feel as if they actually will him to have a bad game its just a shame they dont voice their support as loud as their criticism.

Whole team was excellent today and cant remember a game when we had not only so many shots but also some fantastic shots from distance.

From my unusual perspective of the game, I have to say that although I don't agree with barracking our own players, Tommy Black did, on SEVERAL occasions make a complete hash of what was relatively simple ball control over on the East stand side. Therefore, I have to say that Black did not have the best of games rather that he played well enough. I hate the way him and Gower kept ending up on the same wing, and I hate these stupid short corner set ups. To me, it's a waste of a player who should invariably be at the back of the box to scoop up and return any ball going over. This gaping hole was exposed several times during the game, when balls were overhit and unless Franno was close enough to put it back in, it went out or to an opposing player.

Can't argue with those ratings. Gower was superb, if only he played like that every game. Black was poor again, time to give Scannell a run in my opinion.

Personally I think the first half performance was the best I've seen from Southend since the 2nd half Vs Yeovil when we won 4-1 after coming from 1-0 down.

The number of times Bailey dispossessed Walsall was extraordinary and I would pretty much put him on a par with anyone in the team I think. I made a point of watching him rather than the ball at times as to see if his off the ball is as good as it seems and he really does manoeuvre round the pitch very well.

I think I realised that there's just no pleasing people when I noticed several people around me were commenting on what a poor player Walker was and mockingly saying "we'll probably sing him now". It seems it's all about relative performance in the team rather than in the match. Even Gower got some stick!

Gower was getting loads of stick in the South Upper, some moany old **** in front of me wouldn't get off his back the whole game.

Excellent report fbm, Mulgrew would have been my MOM but I'm nitpicking here :)

Personally I think the first half performance was the best I've seen from Southend since the 2nd half Vs Yeovil when we won 4-1 after coming from 1-0 down.

Don't want to put too much of a downer on the MHAS but as a point of note he was one of Yeovils most ineffectial substitutes that night...

Don't want to put too much of a downer on the MHAS but as a point of note he was one of Yeovils most ineffectial substitutes that night...

To be fair they all did that night.

Anyway, just proved how much he loved us even before he joined us

Back