• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
I was suprememly confident about todays match until I passed a sign near Cowley, about 2 miles from the ground. It said "LDV - Maxus".

A bad omen, I thought.

Still, I took my seat in one of the strangest settings I have ever been in (only 3 sides and an open end that gives the impression that you are playing in a box) and was almost immediately greeted by the PA announcer begging for quiet from the noisy Southend fans as he tried to announce the death of one of Oxfords promising youngsters in a car crash. When he realised he was fighting a losing battle he cut the proposed minutes silence to 10 seconds. In fairness, the SUFC fans shut up as soon as they realised what it was about (after about a minute), but if they had listened to the original announcement they would have known, wouldn't they? OK, it was all harmless banter but that's not the point. It was a bad start.

Still, Blues started much the better and carved Oxford open in the second minute when Guttridge shot well over from an unmarked position about 8 yards out.

Sadly, in the first half, that was as good as it got for Blues, apart from a great run and shot by Freddy late on that the keeper did well to tip around the post.

After much huffing and puffing from both teams, and countless misplaced passes, Oxford took the lead on 20 minutes. Mooney broke and played the ball inside Nicolau and the cross came in for Davies to tap in from point blank range. Oxford had us contained without really threatening themselves very much and worked very hard to shut us down. Time and time again we failed to run the channels or play a decent pass forwards. We had almost gone to pieces. There was no movement, little urgency, and we kept passing the ball either sideways or backwards. We were crying out for some drive and width. Then their second goal came from a corner that was flicked on at the near post and was headed in by Mooney from close range.

Cue mass depression from the fans, and an unbelievable scuffle (reported on elsewhere in detail so I won't go into it again) with more fun and games at half-time apparently(although I saw none in my brief visit to the Gents).

We were much better in the second half and played with more urgency. Chances were created but we still didn't really look like scoring. Then on came Gray for the ineffective Dudfield and within a few seconds had flicked the ball on for Freddy to run for. Somehow he and the defender ended up on the deck, the keeper came to clear, missed his kick, and Freddy was first up to tap into the empty net.

Oxford never got out of their half after that. Prior had a header go agonisingly inches wide and they cleared 2 or 3 off the line. Unfortunately, even the removal of Nicolau and the introduction of Gower failed to spark the troops. And as the game went on, the impetus slowed and Oxford started having a little more of the ball. There were a couple of lengthy delays and 5 substitutions in the second half, so I'm not sure how there were only 3 extra minutes but there you go. In the second minute of injury time, Gray prodded a ball goalwards and the keeper made a decent save in what was to be our last goal attempt.

So, another league defeat, and the first away from home since Boston in January. It could have been worse as all of the other sides dropped points. However, we are in no worse a position now as we were before the game; if we win the last 2 games, the title is ours regardless. However, what looks likely is that it will go the the wire and there is a very real probablity that there will be a 4 way tie with us, Yeovil, Scunny and Swansea all on 80 points. After the weekends results Swansea are the team with the worst GD (Scunny 23, Yeovil 21, Us 20 and Swansea 17). But it's nail bitingly close.

Ratings:

Flahavan - 7 - I couldn't really tell whether he could have done any more about the goals but I doubt it. Otherwise had little to do.

Jupp - 8 - One of the better games. There were 2 or 3 misplaced passes to McCormack but to be honest I think that was more down to McCormacks lack of anticipation rather than poor passing. Made one superb challenge and interception in each half to stop what would have been a clear opportunity
Nicolau - 6 - Defensively poor and the reason why Wilson has been in at left back all season. I think he was pulled out of position for their first goal. We MUST strengthen this position in the close season.
Prior - 7 - Steady and solid as usual. HAd 2 good headers which on another day would have gone in.
Barrett - 7 - Usual solid performance and brought the ball out of defence well at times.

McCormack - 5 - Anonymous. Was not his usual tigerish self.
Maher - 5 - Woeful. As poor as I have seen him play. Failed to create anything at all and managed the usual booking, although this was for a tackle. Nearly talked himself into a red card.
Guttridge - 8 -MOM. For a little bloke he jumps amazingly high. He was always involved and was the only one of the midfield to try and get anything going. It was this area of the field where we lost the battle but he was frankly superb.
Pettefer - 7 - Did his level best and was his usual committed self.

Dudfield - 5 - Poor. Offered nothing but in fairness received so little decent service it was ridiculous. But Gray showed us what had been missing wjhen he came on.
Eastwood - 6 - Not too bad and got the goal. But he usually had 4 defenders around him.

Subs -

Gower - 7 - Provided some width and put over a couple of decent crosses. Didn't get long enough IMHO.
Gray - 7 - Showed us what we needed and if he had been on from the start we may well have won.

Ref - 6 - Seen better, seen worse. However, the fact we lost wasn't his fault.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ April 24 2005,09:32)]Still, I took my seat in one of the strangest settings I have ever been in (only 3 sides and an open end that gives the impression that you are playing in a box) and was almost immediately greeted by the PA announcer begging for quiet from the noisy Southend fans as he tried to announce the death of one of Oxfords promising youngsters in a car crash.  When he realised he was fighting a losing battle he cut the proposed minutes silence to 10 seconds.  In fairness, the SUFC fans shut up as soon as they realised what it was about (after about a minute), but if they had listened to the original announcement they would have known, wouldn't they?  OK, it was all harmless banter but that's not the point.  It was a bad start.
In fairness, the PA system was awful and the fans in my section couldn't hear what was being announced.  It was only when we checked out the body language of the home fans that we realised what was going on, at which point there was immediate silence.

Thanks for the review.

If Eastwood is attracting 3 or 4 defenders, this should be leaving huge gaps for others. Somebody else should be exploiting this space, when Freddy is attracting so much attention.

Perhaps our players could remember that for the last two games  
biggrin.gif

Excellent report as always FBM - it was the way I saw it also!

I agree with whats been said about the bereavement, I thought the Shhhshhing that waved through the Southend fans was admirable.

As soon as the Southend fans realised that respect was needed it was given.

Yes as soon as you realised that there had been a death you were as we expected totally respectfull.
Thank you

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glensufc @ April 24 2005,18:28)]Thanks for the review.

If Eastwood is attracting 3 or 4 defenders, this should be leaving huge gaps for others. Somebody else should be exploiting this space, when Freddy is attracting so much attention.

Perhaps our players could remember that for the last two games  
biggrin.gif
Quite. Although 3 or 4 is probably an exaggeration I think it's exactly the reason that Gray should start the next two games. His pace can cause problems.

Back