• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bielzibubz

President
I've just seen the prospective sculptures that have been submitted to go on display on the forth plinth in Trafalgar Square and I have never seen such a waste of public money as these. £400,000 of public money to have whichever one is chosen to be made to fit the plinth.

1. A group of six Mearcats because she (Tracey Emmen) believes that any time the UK is in crisis the next programme on tv is about Mearcats!

2 A bombed out burnt car brought from Iraq to symbolise the fact we should never forget!

3. A group of chrome convex mirrors to reflect the symbolism between the sky and earth as you look at them.

I cant remember the other three but you can see where I'm going here.

What a bunch of cr4p. In the interviews with the 'sculpture's' they all came across as pretentious ****s. All telling us to look beyond the visual aspects and see the deeper meaning behind their creations.
Well, boIIocks to that. When I look at a sculpture or painting I want it to look good. I want it to be pleasing to the eye. If I walk into Trafalgar Square I don't want to be confronted by a burnt out car for feks sake. I can go to Vange to see that. I don't want to see 6 bloody Mearcats staring down at me either.

I can think of many more worthy statues or sculptures that could be put there. And don't give me all this cr4p about it being 'with the times' and I should appreciate the ethstetics (sp) of whatever's put there. What a complete and utter waste of public funds. I despair sometimes I really do :(

Rant over.

Debate at your leisure.............

Remind me, Trafalgar Square was built in honour of a great navel battle. So why not a great navel commander? Of course, as this country has lost it's backbone perhaps we should consider Micheal Collins, Martin McGuinness or Gerry Adams. Or maybe Bhuto, Gandi or some other British hating scumbag/terrorist/corrupt ratbag. How about Gaddaffi now he is in the Good Guy Club again?

Well Harry you will be pleased to know one of the entries is this
_44341523_nelson-ship_416.jpg

Remind me, Trafalgar Square was built in honour of a great navel battle. So why not a great navel commander? Of course, as this country has lost it's backbone perhaps we should consider Micheal Collins, Martin McGuinness or Gerry Adams. Or maybe Bhuto, Gandi or some other British hating scumbag/terrorist/corrupt ratbag. How about Gaddaffi now he is in the Good Guy Club again?

Sorry, can't let this go. Mahatma Ghandi a British hating scumbag/terrorist/corrupt ratbag? I think not.

Has that obscenity of a sculpture been removed then? Only just realised how long it must have been since I walked through Trafalgar Square and presume it was a sub-conscious reaction to my eyes being offended each time I walked through.

Personally, I don't think the car thing is the worst idea in the world. I presume it wouldn't be a cclapped out Fiesta from a field in Doncaster but done slightly more accurately/ poignantly

The fact that tax payers money is going to spent on anything to go on a plinth is a ****ing joke in my opinion!!

Has that obscenity of a sculpture been removed then? Only just realised how long it must have been since I walked through Trafalgar Square and presume it was a sub-conscious reaction to my eyes being offended each time I walked through.

Personally, I don't think the car thing is the worst idea in the world. I presume it wouldn't be a cclapped out Fiesta from a field in Doncaster but done slightly more accurately/ poignantly

Apparently it's a Toyota Corolla that was caught up in a road side bomb just outside Baghdad. The 'sculpture', if that's what you can call it, would sit atop the plinth for a year until a new one is chosen.

What also gets my goat on this subject is not just the fact that it's costing £400,000 of taxpayers money but also that whoever's sculpture is chosen is going to have their profile and name splattered all over the tabloids and daily's you can bet your bottom dollar that their next creation will be commanding 10x what they do now on the open market.

I cannot help but feel that these so called new wave modern artists are just out to court controversy in order to get their name in the spotlight rather than actually believing in the cr4p they spout about the stuff they create.

theres only 1 person worthy of contention for that plinth, and that is the queen,

I've just seen the prospective sculptures that have been submitted to go on display on the forth plinth in Trafalgar Square and I have never seen such a waste of public money as these. £400,000 of public money to have whichever one is chosen to be made to fit the plinth.

1. A group of six Mearcats because she (Tracey Emmen) believes that any time the UK is in crisis the next programme on tv is about Mearcats!

2 A bombed out burnt car brought from Iraq to symbolise the fact we should never forget!

3. A group of chrome convex mirrors to reflect the symbolism between the sky and earth as you look at them.

I cant remember the other three but you can see where I'm going here.

What a bunch of cr4p. In the interviews with the 'sculpture's' they all came across as pretentious ****s. All telling us to look beyond the visual aspects and see the deeper meaning behind their creations.
Well, boIIocks to that. When I look at a sculpture or painting I want it to look good. I want it to be pleasing to the eye. If I walk into Trafalgar Square I don't want to be confronted by a burnt out car for feks sake. I can go to Vange to see that. I don't want to see 6 bloody Mearcats staring down at me either.

I can think of many more worthy statues or sculptures that could be put there. And don't give me all this cr4p about it being 'with the times' and I should appreciate the ethstetics (sp) of whatever's put there. What a complete and utter waste of public funds. I despair sometimes I really do :(

Rant over.

Debate at your leisure.............

Heaven forbid it is something that provokes a bit of thought.

If we want something to represent Britain then it should be something which provides instant gratification and requires no thought.

The fact that tax payers money is going to spent on anything to go on a plinth is a ****ing joke in my opinion!!

It looked a bit silly bare to be honest and I'm glad they are putting the effort in to not only decorating it but changing the subject of it. I'm not going to agree with everyting they put up (see above) but the relevance of a naval hero from 1396 is not great these days.

The history of Traflagar square's actually really quite interesting. I think I read most of what I've heard about it in a book where the writer goes from one monopoly location to another commenting on why it was chosen and including a bit about it. Good read if you can find it.

I cannot help but feel that these so called new wave modern artists are just out to court controversy i

To be honest, I'm no art student but I would suggest that this would have been considered a common theme in what we now regard as classic or valuable pieces of art. It's not easy making poignant art.

Back