• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Imagine the padlocks clinking shut around the Shankly Gates, or the bailiffs moving in at Old Trafford. Imagine half the Premier League collapsing into administration and tumbling down into the lower leagues. According to reports this weekend, it's not as surreal a scenario as you might think.

A perfect storm of crashing markets, chronic mismanagement and growing apathy is threatening to tear the game to pieces. Liverpool must pay off or refinance a loan in excess of SG$1bn next year, and borrowed money doesn't come cheap these days. Manchester United fans can't afford to be complacent, their club is perched on debts of SG$1.8bn, with interest repayments coming in at just under the market value of one Cristiano Ronaldo every year.

West Ham and Newcastle are even more precarious. Scott Duxbury's reign as CEO has coincided with the arrival of a host of highly-paid, poorly performing players, most notably Freddie Ljungberg, whose ludicrously over-valued contract was paid off this summer for the same price as a decent striker. Meanwhile, Rick Parry, the man charged with hawking Newcastle around the world, is admitting that they may actually be unsellable.

Debt is the gunpowder in the basement of English football, piled up and waiting for a spark. Lord Triesman, the head of the Football Association has estimated that English clubs could be as much as SG$9bn into the red.

"If somebody had said to me, 'Did I have a genuine fear that Lehman Brothers would go bust?' I'd say, 'No I didn't,"' Triesman said. "What I know is we are in a very much more volatile position in which debt is not only a problem in terms of its volume, it's a problem because those who own the debt are themselves now often in serious problems."

It's not a view that has been met with much sympathy from our old friend at the Premier League, Richard Scudamore, who countered Triesman's claims with that long-trusted weapon of the ideologically besieged; rambling lunacy.

"Debt is inevitable," he claimed last week. "Debt to a degree is healthy.You'll end up with a situation where no one is allowed to go on holiday to France with a mortgage." Erm...yeah...

In Scudamore's defence though, everything will be fine as long as the Premier League maintains its popularity. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. Though the big four are still selling out every weekend, outside of the elite, at clubs like Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn, it's a rather different story and empty seats make for bad television.

Speaking of which, according to the Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers, the rising cost of TV subscriptions has seen a fifth of English pubs switching off their football coverage in the past five years. The loss has been attributed to unrealistic pricing which, combined with the inevitable drop-off in private subscriptions as British families battle their own financial demons, will force broadcasters to revise the value of the coverage. This will cut the revenue to the clubs and, hey presto, there's that spark that we spoke about earlier. Indebted clubs will see their income shrink, while those repayments continue to bite and they can't sell their assets because, as the Football League found out in the wake of the ONdigital crash, who are you going to sell those high-earning players to when no-one's got the money to afford them?

Scudamore's grip on reality has always been tenuous at best, but if the rest of the league don't wake up to the severity of the gathering storm, the repercussions could be catastrophic. Football is not immune to the credit crunch and those in charge should as be nervous about last week's events as the rest of us.

Interesting article there, trouble is, not too sure how Singaporean dollars equates to good old British pounds! Could you just give us those large figures in sterling please?

Imagine the padlocks clinking shut around the Shankly Gates, or the bailiffs moving in at Old Trafford. Imagine half the Premier League collapsing into administration and tumbling down into the lower leagues. According to reports this weekend, it's not as surreal a scenario as you might think.

Surreal? It's a dream scenario. Imagine laughing at the plastic Mancs, Scousers, Chelski's etc when the club they're never been too and supported via the joys of Teletext and Sky vanish and we can have real football again.

Here lies the Premiership 1992 - 2008. It's a dream that we can all share.

Thanks guys, I know all about converting it myself, just thought that Slip's mind probably works in both currencies so might be able to pop the figures up without too much effort on either his or my part. That's without the controversy over whether it's a US or British billion.

entry fees are crazy,fans are struggling to make ends meet let alone blow shedloads on watching pampered millionaires kick the leather.

it cannot continue

Surreal? It's a dream scenario. Imagine laughing at the plastic Mancs, Scousers, Chelski's etc when the club they're never been too and supported via the joys of Teletext and Sky vanish and we can have real football again.

Here lies the Premiership 1992 - 2008. It's a dream that we can all share.

It would be quite amusing watching the Blues taking on Liverpool, so skint they can only afford a front two of Drewenaldo & Tes Bramble. ;)

Liverpool must pay off or refinance a loan in excess of SG$1bn next year... Manchester United ... is perched on debts of SG$1.8bn...

Interesting article there, trouble is, not too sure how Singaporean dollars equates to good old British pounds! Could you just give us those large figures in sterling please?

Liverpool's debt is measured in "Stevie Gerrards".
Man U pay in Scholeseys and Giggsies.

Bit confused here and I might have missed something, but isn't Rick Parry the Liverpool CEO?!

Yep, ****ed that right up. Was thinking of Keith Harris. Let's hope one of the subs picked that up before it went to print.

The funny thing was, after last time, I'd spent so much effort trying to put 'Richard' Scudamore and not 'Peter' Scudamore that something was bound to go wrong. Ah well, time to sit back and wait for the emails.

Yep, ****ed that right up. Was thinking of Keith Harris.

the-farm-keith-and-orville.jpg

You sure? I'd keep off the Singapore Slings my friend....

Back