• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Got any data?

if you look at the CEOs of the FTSE 100 a majority were not privately educated. Indeed, there is an increasing percentage of immigrants in those roles because merit counts more than anything else.

I'm sure it is different in the media and politics because there is no financial imperative to be competent.
Not on me right now.
Your last sentence is amusing.

My point is that those from wealthy backgrounds who highlight inequality haven't ever had to suffer from the very poverty and austerity they say the rest of us are under and wouldn't be prepared to put themselves in that position. I find it hypocritical.

I don't understand, if the people highlighting inequality think that poverty isn't a good thing why would they want to subject themselves to it? Surely the aim is to bring people out of poverty, not put more people in it. Where is the hypocrisy?

Not on me right now.
Your last sentence is amusing.

I thought you said the top jobs in "most industries" go to people from "privileged backgrounds?" I was interested to read about it.

I was serious about politics and journalism. Both professions are bankrolled by either the taxpayer or wealthy individuals such that there is no financial requirement to be successful (failure to be financially sustainable is not required because funding will always be provided). As such there is no financial requirement to hire only the best people.

These social mobility studies always focus on politics, the media and the law because they are the only industries politicians know anything about. Diane Abbot feel into this trap on This Week on Thursday. In discussing public school influence she cited the number of public school graduates at the BBC.

It is my contention that wider industry does not follow this pattern. I don't have any hard data but I'm confident that it is different in multi-nationals based on my own experience, interactions and the limited data I've seen.

I thought you said the top jobs in "most industries" go to people from "privileged backgrounds?" I was interested to read about it.

I was serious about politics and journalism. Both professions are bankrolled by either the taxpayer or wealthy individuals such that there is no financial requirement to be successful (failure to be financially sustainable is not required because funding will always be provided). As such there is no financial requirement to hire only the best people.

These social mobility studies always focus on politics, the media and the law because they are the only industries politicians know anything about. Diane Abbot feel into this trap on This Week on Thursday. In discussing public school influence she cited the number of public school graduates at the BBC.

It is my contention that wider industry does not follow this pattern. I don't have any hard data but I'm confident that it is different in multi-nationals based on my own experience, interactions and the limited data I've seen.

I guess the same could therefore be said of, for example, the Virgin Group. There's no need for any of the companies to be successful because Richard Branson will be able to bale them out...

So neither of us have hard data to hand and neither of are that fussed on this particular discussion to go looking for it.
Still amused me though, I am a happy soul.
Agree about Abbot - I always find her to be a bit flaky.

So neither of us have hard data to hand and neither of are that fussed on this particular discussion to go looking for it.

A good set of credentials for Mayor of London?

She was good on the Sunday Politics today (standing in for Jeremy Corbyn) and making the case for anti-austerity.

I guess the same could therefore be said of, for example, the Virgin Group. There's no need for any of the companies to be successful because Richard Branson will be able to bale them out...

I'm not sure. It has certainly been argued that the Virgin Group is Branson's egotistical endeavour though fundamentally it exists to make money for its shareholders i.e. Branson.

Branson has an incentive to hire the best people he can find irrespective of background. Someone in politics tends to surround themselves with people they know (and often met at school).

I interview and hire a lot of people and never ask about school. We don't ask for details on CVs either. I want to hire the best people I can find because it will lead to the best outcome for my business. I don't care where they went to school.

I'm not sure. It has certainly been argued that the Virgin Group is Branson's egotistical endeavour though fundamentally it exists to make money for its shareholders i.e. Branson.

Branson has an incentive to hire the best people he can find irrespective of background. Someone in politics tends to surround themselves with people they know (and often met at school).

I interview and hire a lot of people and never ask about school. We don't ask for details on CVs either. I want to hire the best people I can find because it will lead to the best outcome for my business. I don't care where they went to school.

I can't therefore see the difference. No-one wants to own a loss making business, unless it's a football team of course! In the past when I was a manager I never looked at peoples' schools either. Mainly because it was stated on their CVs. There was no point in asking.

However, I suspect the same is true at the Guardian. Why would they care what school someone went to? It's irrelevant. The only think relevant is can they do the job?

My point is that those from wealthy backgrounds who highlight inequality haven't ever had to suffer from the very poverty and austerity they say the rest of us are under and wouldn't be prepared to put themselves in that position. I find it hypocritical.

Taken her kid out of fee paying private school so she can make ends meet yet has she?

That will always be a factor when people judge her, and rightly so, but on an MP's salary I doubt she has trouble making ends meet.

Dianne Abbot was of course a grammar school pupil, who later went on to Cambridge (as did Michael Portillo her fellow regular on This Week, who incidentally was a contemporary of my brother's -not RobNoxious,the other one-at St.John's).

I believe DA's kid has now left his "fee paying private school" and the last I heard was himself studying at Cambridge.

Dianne Abbot was of course a grammar school pupil, who later went on to Cambridge (as did Michael Portillo her fellow regular on This Week, who incidentally was a contemporary of my brother's -not RobNoxious,the other one-at St.John's).

I believe DA's kid has now left his "fee paying private school" and the last I heard was himself studying at Cambridge.
He grew up in Harrow so St John's one of the Cambridge colleges I assume rather than the Benfleet school?

He grew up in Harrow so St John's one of the Cambridge colleges I assume rather than the Benfleet school?

Yeah.Tbh I'm not so sure that M.P. went to St.John's College,Cambridge (though my brother-not Rob Noxious- certainly did).Could be that M.P. went to one of the other Cambridge colleges but he was certainly a contemporary of my brother's circa 1971-74.My brother reckoned he was a right ****.No change there then.:smile:

Yeah.Tbh I'm not so sure that M.P. went to St.John's College,Cambridge (though my brother-not Rob Noxious- certainly did).Could be that M.P. went to one of the other Cambridge colleges but he was certainly a contemporary of my brother's circa 1971-74.My brother reckoned he was a right ****.No change there then.:smile:

Sounds like you've just found your soulmate.

I would certainly agree that Michael Portillo has re-invented himself as a human being since his humilation in the 1997 election.

I completely agree with that. I actually enjoy his programmes on railway journeys and he comes over as quite a decent person. That is a complete contrast to how he behaved when an MP.

Back