• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The League Paper

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Front page advert for an article inside headed up

"TILSON: WHY I WON'T BE TOP BOSS".

Now there's me thinking this was a huge pledge to us for his future.

Reading the article - a big double page spread - it is referring to the fact that he feels foreigners and top ex-Prem players will get the top jobs.

For instance, this is a direct quote, referring to himself, Aidy Boothroyd, Phil Parkinson and Martin Allen -

"Will myself, Aidy, Phil or Martin ever get the chance to manage a top, top club? I very much doubt it, no matter how well we do" he said.

"All the best players get the jobs and, increasingly, clubs are looking overseas. I think it's unlikely that people like me, who never played at the highest level, will get the chance."

Tilly starts his Pro-Licence on May 15.

The rest of the article focuses on us, Freddy, the new stadium and next seasons plans. 4 or 5 new players, same nucleus, nothing we don't already know.

But it has definitely been presented as a "come and get me" type article and that for me is a little concerning. You can't blame Tilly - but I'd like him to take us as far as he can before considering stepping up.

down.gif

I've not seen the article but it sounds a bit paradoxical.

How can he be saying 'come and get me' in his style on one hand, then saying that the top jobs wont go to people like him on the other
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ May 08 2006,07:41)]I've not seen the article but it sounds a bit paradoxical.

How can he be saying 'come and get me' in his style on one hand, then saying that the top jobs wont go to people like him on the other
rock.gif
It's just the way I read it. Maybe I'm being paranoid about the prospect of him going.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 08 2006,07:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ May 08 2006,07:41)]I've not seen the article but it sounds a bit paradoxical.

rock.gif
It's just the way I read it.  Maybe I'm being paranoid about the prospect of him going.
Sure mate, nothing personal to you.

I'm sure there will be lots more speculation around him in the coming months

he'll stay. he and fredy will want to see if they can do 3 back to back promotions!
biggrin.gif

Doesnt sound like a come and get me to me, more like a reality check that lower league managers will always struggle to get Premier$hite jobs.

Its rare that a big club will appoint someone who hasnt played at the highest level these days, they would have to achieve a lot to even be considered.

Getting Southend/Col U into the Championship is a huge achievement, however a completely different ball game to managing a Premier$hite club.

Tilly will be here a while yet.

Back