• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Three Stooges, Harrold, Macdonald and Revell

Surely you Lawson's movement off the ball?

I like how you've picked up a Tillyism though, despite your belief that clueless Tilson has held Southend back for nearly 4 seasons.

Incidentally, I agree Lawson's movement has always been very good.

I particularly enjoyed his movement away from Southend United Football Club.

We probably would have been bottom 8 before these two hadn't shown us if we didn't have leon clarke's helping contribution.

He really kick fired the season, bit like Eastwood did when he joined. Our team was shockingly poor until he joined.

Can't agree with that, Mark. We'd won three out of five before Clarke joined. We were the division's top goalscorers (although it was admittedly a very early stage of the season) and the two game's we'd lost were with ten men against a team who always beat us and at Leeds where we threw it away at the end.

Of course we had the usual ridiculous overreaction from many on here, but that doesn't mean that we were "shockingly poor".

The facts are, HE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH! So I now wish for the Matt Harrold Appreciation Society and its 4 members to go into administration, I think its time.

Sorry but was is your problem with a few Southend fans showing appreciation to Harrold?

Whether you think his good enough or not isn't the question here, but why should the MHAS be looked at differently to any other on here.

Also, it isn't a fact, its your opinion.

As boo-girl in chief, wiggy appears to have chosen Alex Revell, which I think is a huge shame. He was scoring goals frequently for one of our play-off rivals, and we have shelled out a lot of cash for him, so why she should think that it's a great idea to start slagging the lad off when he's just starting to recover from a hernia operation is a conundrum that only she can explain.

:doh:

Have you seen him play Matt? Having spent a few quid on him i would have expected a decent first touch, a good heading ability and something a bit different to Matt Harrold back to goal style. Keep hearing about the operation but that doesn't stop you possesing the above attributes. Barnard, Walker and Kanu all look like footballers on the ball and can't help thinking Revell looks amateurish and stiff, time will tell.

Have you seen him play Matt? Having spent a few quid on him i would have expected a decent first touch, a good heading ability and something a bit different to Matt Harrold back to goal style. Keep hearing about the operation but that doesn't stop you possesing the above attributes. Barnard, Walker and Kanu all look like footballers on the ball and can't help thinking Revell looks amateurish and stiff, time will tell.

It won't tell though, will it? You've already made your mind up.

If Revell turns in performances like the one he did at Orient, when he didn't stop running all match, held the ball up well and basically caused their back four a pain in the backside all game then that'll do me.

Yeah he missed a sitter that day, but he was in there to miss it which Matt Harrold (for any other attributes that he brings to the side) wouldn't have been.

What, as in stiff like he's just had an operation?

It won't tell though, will it? You've already made your mind up.

If Revell turns in performances like the one he did at Orient, when he didn't stop running all match, held the ball up well and basically caused their back four a pain in the backside all game then that'll do me.

Yeah he missed a sitter that day, but he was in there to miss it which Matt Harrold (for any other attributes that he brings to the side) wouldn't have been.

Thought he was particularly crap that day on his first appearance for us!

Thought he was particularly crap that day on his first appearance for us!
You always watch a different game to me Wiggy, nearly everytime. He plays one game, oh thats it, Wiggy wants him out. Surprising? Not for you.

i-shall-not-tolerate-such-rubbish-good-day-sir.jpg

Well at least you can be happy you've got some controversy on a web forum.

You always watch a different game to me Wiggy, nearly everytime. He plays one game, oh thats it, Wiggy wants him out. Surprising? Not for you.

i-shall-not-tolerate-such-rubbish-good-day-sir.jpg

Well at least you can be happy you've got some controversy on a web forum.
One thing worse than people who just play devils advocate all the time - people who think that posting pictures of animals (usually cats) with a stupid cliche/slogan on is funny.

On topic, I rate Revell I think he'll come good, Matt Harrold - good at being ginger, and Charlie Macdonald - has a tremendous farm, but limited footballing skill.

Well, I saw him at Millwall away in what was - to be fair - our most turgid performance of recent months. Revell didn't stand out as particularly good or bad that evening - and he certainly seemed to have something about him - in terms of size and physicality - which gave the Millwall defenders a headache and which in turn created openings and space for both him and his fellow striking partners.

Don't forget, one of our biggest bug-bears about the last time we went up to the Championship was how often out-muscled and out-hustled we were from games. I reckon Revell isn't out-muscled too often in games.

After all, the English game isn't always about sublime touch and skill. Look at (say) Alan Shearer versus Andriy Shevchenko. How many people would say that Shearer had a better touch or more ball skills than Shevchenko?

Would you?

And who was the more successful Premiership striker?

The key to any side must be balance, and a blend. If we have lots of will-o-the-wisp skill merchants like Walker in the side, we'll look fantastic, play great football... and get absolutely bulldozed by the well-drilled thugs of Pulis's Stoke City or Warnock's Crystal Palace.

And that's why I think that Revell could well be a very wise signing indeed. I look forward, I hope, to seeing him flourish in the side and becoming a key member of our squad.

Matt

(PS One shouldn't read too much into any player's early performances. The first couple of times I saw Robson-Kanu, I thought he was deeply mediocre. Give Revell time!)

can't help but feel really sorry for harrold, as you could guess from what i have previously said in this thread i am by far a fan of his but no-one deserves to get booed by their own fans especially because it's not as if he's being lazy and looking like he can't be arsed as you would then have more reason to, but its he just hasn't got the ability and thats not exactly his fault. he must hate playing at the moment and i don't think theres a lot he could do to change many peoples views on him. Someone mentioned how does the booing make his family feel, this is a good point and should deffinately be cosidered when people start booing him when he plays again for us. being local this must be very hard and embarassing for him.

i was quite hopeful for him in pre-season as he actually looked quite good but this was just because he was at his level. i'm sure he will be moving on at the end of the season but i think the booing should deffinately stop!

can't help but feel really sorry for harrold, as you could guess from what i have previously said in this thread i am by far a fan of his but no-one deserves to get booed by their own fans especially because it's not as if he's being lazy and looking like he can't be arsed as you would then have more reason to, but its he just hasn't got the ability and thats not exactly his fault. he must hate playing at the moment and i don't think theres a lot he could do to change many peoples views on him. Someone mentioned how does the booing make his family feel, this is a good point and should deffinately be cosidered when people start booing him when he plays again for us. being local this must be very hard and embarassing for him.

i was quite hopeful for him in pre-season as he actually looked quite good but this was just because he was at his level. i'm sure he will be moving on at the end of the season but i think the booing should deffinately stop!

He was being booed cause the place was full of cheapskate moronic kids. Most of em' couldn't keep still for more than 5 minutes, off to the tea bar or bog. OK Harry aint up to it but i blame Tilson for putting him through this misery, he should have been off loaded at least 6 months ago but feel Tily was trying to justify the signing in the first place!

He was being booed cause the place was full of cheapskate moronic kids. Most of em' couldn't keep still for more than 5 minutes, off to the tea bar or bog. OK Harry aint up to it but i blame Tilson for putting him through this misery, he should have been off loaded at least 6 months ago but feel Tily was trying to justify the signing in the first place!

So it's Tilson's fault that about 10% of our fans think it's right to boo any player he signs that doesn't quite make it? I suppose Veron should have been booed and that would have been Ferguson's fault? Useless manager signing such rubbish players and then trying to persevere with them. What does he know about football?

Should Tilly be blamed if he doesn't have 100% success in the transfer market and then a vocal minority boo them?

Anyway, I thought the common consensus was that he had a stormer the last game he played for us?

And success is subjective. You like Flavs; some don't. You don't like Harrold; many think he has (or rather "had" before the boo boys managed to totally destroy his confidence) a role to play.

Should our players who give all for their cause ever be booed? 90% think not.

Should we give Harrold and Revell more than one game (at best) before getting on their backs?

Who remembers how bad David Crown was in his first few games? Don't remember people getting on his back. He was given the chance to show what he could do in a more positive environment.

your probably alrite maybe he should have left 6 months ago but with regards to the booing, i know exactly where it was coming from but theres no point saying where for arguments sake.

Harrold - Always going to try so love that. Local boy so that is great too. The manger picks him.

Revell - Jeeeees. Give the boy a chance! My god this club has moronic suppoters at times.

MacD - Will clearly join another club, score a load, probably score against us in the future and then have a whole bunch of people moaning that he should never have been sold. Probably League Two is his level but hope we never go back there! Also, he seems committed (from what I have heard) so the boo boys are just disgaceful.

I will NEVER boo my own player or team at the end. Full stop.

He was being booed cause the place was full of cheapskate moronic kids. Most of em' couldn't keep still for more than 5 minutes, off to the tea bar or bog.

Not often I agree with you Wiggy but you are so right on this one. I hate it when the club do cheap child admission cos all these as you put it "cheapskate moronic kids" (I can think of a few other names for the little *****) then show up and annoy the hell out of everybody, only to never be seen again till the next ***** for a quid shenanighan.

Personally I think that the club should make it more expensive for kids than adults to actually keep the little ***** out of Roots hall. Say if adult admission is Ā£20, make child admission Ā£35.00. Rich daddies would still bring their little darlings but on the whole I feel this would solve the problems of the like we saw on Tuesday and allow us adults to sit back and enjoy the game without some little **** pushing past you for the 5th time in ten minutes to go to the tea bar/toilet etc.

I enjoyed the game v Chelmo on Tuesday but for me the highlight of it all was when some fat kid fell over the seats (obviously hurting himself) breaking two with the impact of his obese body hitting them then sitting there trying not to cry when he obviously wanted to. Really great to see as he had annoyed the **** out of me all night and it was great to see the little **** in distress for all the annoyance he had caused me and several others on the night.

As for kids booing Matty - it is only what they see their stupid parents doing isn't it? Never mind, when they grow up and sometime reflect during their shifts in MacDonalds, they might think that there they were booing somebody on 4-5 grand a week while now they work for minimum wage or simply sign on. Perhaps they will then reflect on who actually then is the true **** after all?

Harrold - Always going to try so love that. Local boy so that is great too. The manger picks him.

Revell - Jeeeees. Give the boy a chance! My god this club has moronic suppoters at times.

MacD - Will clearly join another club, score a load, probably score against us in the future and then have a whole bunch of people moaning that he should never have been sold. Probably League Two is his level but hope we never go back there! Also, he seems committed (from what I have heard) so the boo boys are just disgaceful.

I will NEVER boo my own player or team at the end. Full stop.

I have over the years never seen merit in having a go at your own players due to lack of ability, their in the team because they have been picked, their in the team due to the managers judgement. I have had a go where lack of effort or commitment has been on display, something that I don't feel has ever been an issue with these three.
Also just wanted to share a nice touch by Harold after Tuesdays game, he stopped to chat with my young lad, Matt was very down about his own performance and its clear that he knows his days as a Blue are numbered, but he still made my lads night by giving him his winners medal, saying to him he deserved more for his support than anything he had done on the pitch!
Sometimes our worst critic is our self!

'Southend and Proud'

Back