• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The training ground is coming along nicely!!!!

Haven't read through the entire thread but if this isn't another sign that Ron Martin has downed tools and wants out, and that we're in a holding pattern until he sells, then I don't know what is.

He didn't pay for the facility. It just ticked a planning box. He has checked out and won't be putting any more money in, so labour or equipment over there to upkeep it is probably a no go.

Add it to the list of things which is inhibited by finances and probably won't be addressed until the club has been sold.

The last time I spoke to a Whitehorse employee who was cutting the pitches I asked him about payment. He wasn't aware there was a problem but did tell me about a site which he passes frequently in Oxfordshire where the owners had failed to pay. Certainly when I spoke to the site foreman before Christmas and made a few comments about Ron he said all their dealings with him had been excellent. If Whitehorse haven't been paid which as far as I can see is SZ rumour then they should take court action.

We don't currently have planning permission for the temporary changing cabins - I think due to be decided by Rochford council this month maybe. And as reported on here previously the cabins have been purchased (or agreed to be purchased) and are just awaiting the planning permission before being on site.

Thanks for that info Matt, I was unaware of that information. I'm glad to hear something is in "place" as a field for a training ground won't be conducive in the short/medium term.

Had to fill up the car with petrol so did a trip to the training ground. Parked round the back down the farm entrance as you get pretty near the pitches . All pitches mown. The second pitch is looking good and green. The bank is resplendent with growth. Did not bother to go to the top two pitches as if pitch 2 is fine, so is pitch 3 as it is the same sand based . Pitch 4 I doubt will be used much as it's a standard soil pitch. The pitch with the plastic bits to anchor the grass roots ( I call this pitch 1) is browner but my guess is that it has been top dressed for some reason. It certainly hasn't been neglected. As the Whitehorse guy told me, greening is easy, root growth is everything. By the way. He bought the Whitehorse mower with him when I spoke to him. State of the art. Massively wide wheels so as not to damage the turf. Don't forget either that there has not been any landscaping planting yet. That is part of the current planning application to Rochford council. This is a critical time for the club but in my lay opinion the training ground is not an issue. And if there are potential buyers out there they will have independent reports about it. They're not going to buy a pig in a poke.

Had to fill up the car with petrol so did a trip to the training ground. Parked round the back down the farm entrance as you get pretty near the pitches . All pitches mown. The second pitch is looking good and green. The bank is resplendent with growth. Did not bother to go to the top two pitches as if pitch 2 is fine, so is pitch 3 as it is the same sand based . Pitch 4 I doubt will be used much as it's a standard soil pitch. The pitch with the plastic bits to anchor the grass roots ( I call this pitch 1) is browner but my guess is that it has been top dressed for some reason. It certainly hasn't been neglected. As the Whitehorse guy told me, greening is easy, root growth is everything. By the way. He bought the Whitehorse mower with him when I spoke to him. State of the art. Massively wide wheels so as not to damage the turf. Don't forget either that there has not been any landscaping planting yet. That is part of the current planning application to Rochford council. This is a critical time for the club but in my lay opinion the training ground is not an issue. And if there are potential buyers out there they will have independent reports about it. They're not going to buy a pig in a poke.
Well who'd of thunk it!

0b404-oddballkellysheroes2t1.jpg

Not the clearest picture in the world I was only passing and taking a photo for my old man. But seems the pitch seems to have survived but as of yet no signs of being ready for next season.IMG-20230529-WA0004.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the clearest picture in the world I was only passing and taking a photo for my old man. But seems the pitch seems to have survived but as of yet no signs of being ready for next season.View attachment 26511
I see Dr who has come from the future to check on the pitches progress, or he's going to try and get Ron to sign the deal.

Not the clearest picture in the world I was only passing and taking a photo for my old man. But seems the pitch seems to have survived but as of yet no signs of being ready for next season.View attachment 26511
I guess whatever players we have left when they return for next season will still be training at boots& laces as normal , so here goes another season waiting for the building work to start ,

I see Dr who has come from the future to check on the pitches progress, or he's going to try and get Ron to sign the deal.
Sorry but this doesn't make sense from a plot POV and this is bugging me.

Why would DW need to come back from the future when the evolution of the training ground would be know (historically)?

Surely he would have to travel from the past (including present day) to the future to see what has happened come months or years time.

I'm sorry, I may have died on a hill not worthy of dying on.

Sorry but this doesn't make sense from a plot POV and this is bugging me.

Why would DW need to come back from the future when the evolution of the training ground would be know (historically)?

Surely he would have to travel from the past (including present day) to the future to see what has happened come months or years time.

I'm sorry, I may have died on a hill not worthy of dying on.
He's trying to avert some disaster that's going to stop Ron signing the deal, I think.

Sorry to snipe but ...... Dr Who could be male or female.

Given that Dr Who always "sorts things out" I'm very pleased to have him/her on our side.
It looks like the type 42 tardis so it would be either pertwee or Baker, although the chameleon circuit looks to be malfunctioning.

Back