• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilly's comments on Official Site

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ May 12 2005,17:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ May 12 2005,17:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ May 12 2005,17:26)]NAMED WITH BIG NAMES LIKE: BARMBY, MERSON, STEWART, SALAKO.
Big names  
laugh.gif
England Caps-how many times have Prior, Flahavan,Gray,etc represented their country?

my point exactly
You want big name players with loads of caps then go and watch Chelsea - I think you're missing the point of being a Southend United fan here mate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ May 12 2005,16:43)]So your saying that if the likes of Barmby, Marcus Stewart, Martin Keown became available that you wouldnt want Tilly to enquire?

Us fans would be DELIGHTED to have those names banded around Roots Hall as potential signings, If we want to be among the big boys in League 1 and to be taken seriously then Uncle Ron needs to dig into his pocket and supply tilly extra funds for WAGES not tranfer fees to enable us to sign free agents like Ferdinand, Keown, Rodgers etc
Im saying you do not need a team of big names to get out of a division. Stewart id love yes, but unless your a big big team you ant gonna get him. Stewart wants to go to Bristol that is a big factor so he may well take a big pay cut.

As for Known, Ferdinand, i wouldn't be bothered id much rather look at younger talent like Eastwood.

Obviously at the start of the season we would have all been happy at the current position we find ourselves in so we have exceeded expectation but about 3 or 4 weeks ago the Championship was the target, The Echo had front page news that we have virtually secured promotion and to get so close and then c*ck it up big time it just shocking

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ May 12 2005,16:54)]Just read Tilly's comments on the official website, and I dont agree with what he has come out with.

The 'we have exceeded all expectations' comment smacks to me a bit of trying to put a positive spin on what could end up being a huge let down.

Maybe he should have been a bit more honest and said, look, weve blown automatic promotion, for which there is no excuse, and now we have make sure we do it via the playoffs.

Of course, as he says, he cant guarantee promotion, but using that old exceeding expectations line doesnt cut the mustard with me im afraid.
Why is this? Tilly is quite right in saying that people are unjustly slating the team. Yes, the past month has been very disappointing but I (and most people I have spoken to this season) were not expecting anything but mid-table mediocrity this season.
The team has done us proud this season, so why doesn't everyone stop whining like babies and get behind the team for the upcoming matches. It's not over until at least 8.00pm on the 21st!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ May 12 2005,17:26)]i MEANT MORE ALONG THE FAN BASE SIDE OF THINGS, TO BE HONEST ROOTS HALL IS FULL OF GLORY HUNTERS, GARUNTEE THAT IF WE DONT GO UP THE ATTENDANCES NEXT SEASON WILL DROP BACK TO 3,4 THOUSAND.

PLAYERS WOULD RATHER DROP OUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND PLAY IN LEAGUE 1 FOR A TEAM LIKE BARNSLEY,BRADFORD,STOCKPORT BECAUSE THEY ARE TEAMS WHO WILL ALWAYS BE LINKED WITH PROMOTION, SADLY SHOULD WE BE PROMOTED WE WILL DEFINATELY NOT BE NAMED WITH BIG NAMES LIKE: BARMBY, MERSON, STEWART, SALAKO.
Stockport, surely a mistake.

If every fan sat down on their own and thought about it im sure most would say that we lack that edge that teams have in league 1

stockport have a massive fan base but they are fans who expect to watch a team in the championship hence the reason they stay away from home games

Big Names = Big wages, lots of pressure, arrogance. You do not need a team of big names to get promotion !!!

i think that we should get behind tilly and the boys instead of moaning to the echo, it dont help before the big game

I think you'll find all of our team have big names. Or at least they will do unless you turn caps lock off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ May 12 2005,18:02)]stockport have a massive fan base but they are fans who expect to watch a team in the championship hence the reason they stay away from home games
Listen, I really don't mean to be patronising so please don't take it that way - but, how old are you? The reason I ask is the fact that you seem to think Stockport are a big side with a huge fan base would suggest you are basing that on their recent stint in what is now is the Chmapionship. However the fact remains they, along with Gillingham, spent less time at that level than we did before being relegated and are no bigger a club than us. Those of us old gits with longer memories will remember the times when we met these teams on an equal footing and also have been round long enough to see these cycles of success and failure go round before.

Believe me, league placing apart, as a player it is no more of a draw to play for Stockport than Southend United.

I tottally understand what your saying but if i were a player released from a prem or championship side I know for a fact that I would be more inclined to speak to teams like Stockport, Brentford, Wallsall than Southend.

Well Brentford and Walsall are a bloody division above us !

I have a nasty feeling that should we not get promoted then Millwall will approach Tilly.

Anyone share my thoughts?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ May 12 2005,18:11)]I tottally understand what your saying but if i were a player released from a prem or championship side I know for a fact that I would be more inclined to speak to teams like Stockport, Brentford, Wallsall than Southend.
Fine. Makes no difference to us whatsoever, as has been said we don't need big has-been names on big has-been salaries with big has-been ego's. That isn't the foundation on which any of our succesful teams have been built in the past and I don't believe that will change in the future. Would you swap Barrett for Keown or Eastwood for Ferdinand? Because I wouldn't and I bet many Southend fans wouldn't either.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, I feel a poll coming on!

I agree with what Tilly is saying, because in a way we have over achieve. Who would have honestly thought we'd have visited Cardiff again, and been top of the table on 2 or 3 seperate occasions. Who would have thought we'd sell out Vs Yeovil? Who would have expected us to beat some more sides from League 1 like Swindon and C********r? Who'd have expected us to go to West Ham and not look out of place?

I could go on but I can't be bothered. This has been a fantastic season, and exceded most expectations. Don't forget we can still go up as well.

young raw talent is the way forward (eastwood barrett)when we had wheelan and marsh they was always down churchills getting pi55ed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ May 12 2005,18:20)]I agree with what Tilly is saying, because in a way we have over achieve. Who would have honestly thought we'd have visited Cardiff again, and been top of the table on 2 or 3 seperate occasions. Who would have thought we'd sell out Vs Yeovil? Who would have expected us to beat some more sides from League 1 like Swindon and C********r? Who'd have expected us to go to West Ham and not look out of place?

I could go on but I can't be bothered. This has been a fantastic season, and exceded most expectations. Don't forget we can still go up as well.
but who would have thought that in that position we would have blowen it NOT ME

Back