• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilly's comments on Official Site

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BARRY HARRIS @ May 13 2005,16:17)]At the end of the day,
It's a game of two halves
Set your stall out early doors
Attack is the best form of defence
Jumpers for goalposts
Isn't it..............

Come on Barry, I'm supposed to be Ron Manager not you!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ May 13 2005,16:12)]The support which was in evidance at Grimsby was absolutely superb, so they know how we feel.  BUT they also need to know how dissapointed we are, and how much it matters!
I did hope that they would have taken in the sight of the expectant and yet slightly nervous away end filling up on Saturday whilst they were warming up & then galvanised it into a performance that would have seen us up, however this was not to be
sad.gif

Almost a week on I would say that any of the squad surely know how disappointed we were/are & how much it matters.

They are professionals after all & above all that they are by far and away the most professional bunch we've had down at the Hall for many years. I personally would like to think Tilly's comments are there as part of a "come out all guns blazing" attitude for Sunday. If I was trying to motivate the team, I'd have gone along the lines of "we've not become a bad team overnight", "we've got something to prove to oursleves, not just the fans & media" etc etc.

COME ON SOUTHEND!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ May 13 2005,16:22)]Almost a week on I would say that any of the squad surely know how disappointed we were/are & how much it matters.
I have spoken to a friend who has spent much of his working life at a couple of professional football clubs (SUFC included) and he said that in his experience of working with pro-footballers the biggest disapointment they would be feeling right now is having their summer holiday cut short by having to play extra games. I hope he's wrong about our lads but as I say, he has far more experience of the mindset of footballers than I do!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ May 13 2005,16:26)].............the biggest disapointment they would be feeling right now is having their summer holiday cut short by having to play extra games. I hope he's wrong about our lads but as I say, he has far more experience of the mindset of footballers than I do!
At last, some sense Daddy Andrew.  Exactly my point after the Yeovil game.  The players get nowhere near as ****ed of as we do, but according to some you can't even think that on here, so I don't bother any more!  Most of them, if Cambridge offered them better terms for next season they'd be off like a shot.  No criticism from me about that, you go where the money is.  And I mean most, not all.  But to think they really share our highs & lows for more than the post game moments & the odd seconds they spend in the prescence of the few who meet them on occasions I think is wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 13 2005,16:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ May 13 2005,16:26)].............the biggest disapointment they would be feeling right now is having their summer holiday cut short by having to play extra games. I hope he's wrong about our lads but as I say, he has far more experience of the mindset of footballers than I do!
At last, some sense Daddy Andrew. Exactly my point after the Yeovil game. The players get nowhere near as ****ed of as we do, but according to some you can't even think that on here, so I don't bother any more! Most of them, if Cambridge offered them better terms for next season they'd be off like a shot. No criticism from me about that, you go where the money is. And I mean most, not all. But to think they really share our highs & lows for more than the post game moments & the odd seconds they spend in the prescence of the few who meet them on occasions I think is wrong.
So you're going to tar every single pro footballer with the same brush. I think that possibly some players really couldn't give a f**k, some are mildly aroused, and some will care in general.

Maybe though as has been stated at a lowly club like Southend probably the most of them really aren't that bothered as the fans are, but I'm confident that Tilly cares though.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ May 13 2005,16:12)]I think if some of the players read this, then good.  It might show them the strength of feeling amongst us fans.

<Snip>  

BUT they also need to know how dissapointed we are, and how much it matters!
I can't agree that the players reading some of the stuff on here is "good". I think that they have shown a real passion and desire to succeed, and I wager that (unlike the wasters who populated the team under Mr. R. Whelan) they care deeply that they fell at the penultimate hurdle. Telling them how out of order they are is not going to help. It piles on pressure, as if there were not enough on them just now, and undermines their self confidence.

At Wet Spam this year fans cost the Spam a goal by barracking their own keeper, and he consequently made a mistake. (Source: Radio 5 Live commentator). Negative criticism has negative consequences.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 13 2005,16:48)]
[b said:
At last, some sense Daddy Andrew.  Exactly my point after the Yeovil game.  The players get nowhere near as ****ed of as we do, but according to some you can't even think that on here, so I don't bother any more!  Most of them, if Cambridge offered them better terms for next season they'd be off like a shot.  No criticism from me about that, you go where the money is.  And I mean most, not all.  But to think they really share our highs & lows for more than the post game moments & the odd seconds they spend in the prescence of the few who meet them on occasions I think is wrong.
Go read Gary Nelson's book. In there he describes the first time he saw grown men cry. It was Southend players in the dressing room when, despite having won their last game of the season at home, they found that they were still relegated. GN gives a very good idea of whether or not players care, and I would rather take his version than some anonymous "former employee of pro football clubs".

Anyway, it was clearly your fault - what happened to the Gherkin, eh?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ May 13 2005,17:12)]Gary Nelson is a real Legend.
Blimey&#33; I agree with Tweedy...
biggrin.gif

I must go for a lie-down&#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ May 12 2005,17:06)]Ill probably get slated for it, but people seem to have very low expectation of Southend, and maybe thats the problem.
In terms of your original post I can honestly say I was one of the very few who truly say I believed we COULD challenge for the top 3 this season - but having said that the way the season has gone has been a massive step forward for this football club and I think Tilly/Brush should be delighted with the job they&#39;ve done and I&#39;m sure will continue to take us forward.

The quote above is an interesting one and one that I personally totally agree with - whats more I find it surprising that given our fairly recent stint in the 2nd tier of English football that many people seem to view us as only an average sized club at this level.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 13 2005,17:09)]and I would rather take his version than some anonymous &quot;former employee of pro football clubs&quot;.
It&#39;s only anonymous because it was a private conversation with a friend and not my place to put his name to comments on here. Also, he wasn&#39;t speaking specifically about the current crop of SUFC players as it is a long time since he worked at Roots Hall and he doesn&#39;t know the current squad. it was however a view of footballers in general.

Remember, it&#39;s their job. Imagine you were working towards a target and if you achieved that target you would start your summer holiday. However at the last minute you failed and have to work an extra 2-3 weeks to make up for it. How would you feel? Would you be ****ed off about cutting your holiday short?

Well, why should footballers be any different?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ May 14 2005,10:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 13 2005,17:09)]and I would rather take his version than some anonymous &quot;former employee of pro football clubs&quot;.
It&#39;s only anonymous because it was a private conversation with a friend and not my place to put his name to comments on here. Also, he wasn&#39;t speaking specifically about the current crop of SUFC players as it is a long time since he worked at Roots Hall and he doesn&#39;t know the current squad. it was however a view of footballers in general.

Remember, it&#39;s their job. Imagine you were working towards a target and if you achieved that target you would start your summer holiday. However at the last minute you failed and have to work an extra 2-3 weeks to make up for it. How would you feel? Would you be ****ed off about cutting your holiday short?

Well, why should footballers be any different?
Fair point, but I think that it is taking a wide generalisation, and trying to apply it to a particular squad. I have seen plenty of evidence that this bunch of players are commited and want to succeed - presumably that is one of the things Tilly looks for in players.

Yes, anyone would be cheesed off at having to change their plans. But I can&#39;t see any evidence that that is the primary emotion with the squad, and I think it is very unfair, ungrateful, even, to assume that all they really care about is having to wait for their hols.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ May 12 2005,17:26)]i MEANT MORE ALONG THE FAN BASE SIDE OF THINGS, TO BE HONEST ROOTS HALL IS FULL OF GLORY HUNTERS, GARUNTEE THAT IF WE DONT GO UP THE ATTENDANCES NEXT SEASON WILL DROP BACK TO 3,4 THOUSAND.

PLAYERS WOULD RATHER DROP OUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND PLAY IN LEAGUE 1 FOR A TEAM LIKE BARNSLEY,BRADFORD,STOCKPORT BECAUSE THEY ARE TEAMS WHO WILL ALWAYS BE LINKED WITH PROMOTION, SADLY SHOULD WE BE PROMOTED WE WILL DEFINATELY NOT BE NAMED WITH BIG NAMES LIKE: BARMBY, MERSON, STEWART, SALAKO.
&quot;PLAYERS WOULD RATHER DROP OUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND PLAY IN LEAGUE 1 FOR A TEAM LIKE BARNSLEY,BRADFORD,STOCKPORT BECAUSE THEY ARE TEAMS WHO WILL ALWAYS BE LINKED WITH PROMOTION&quot;

Ahem, didn&#39;t Stockport secure relegation from League 1 even before we nose-dived?

I&#39;d have taken 4th before the season, and would have taken 12th in early September. The one niggling problem we have not dealt with is pressure games. We crumbled at Oxford, against Yeovil and Orient didn&#39;t do the business at Grimsby, and couldn&#39;t perform at Cardiff or in the televised FA Cup game. The players need to learn to enjoy their game rather than worry about it, especially for player like Freddy who are confidence driven. The Macclesfield game could have been another Grimsby but we got ourselves out of jail in the nick of time.

If the playoffs were behind closed doors and the final at Layer Road, we&#39;d be dead certs to go up&#33;

Here&#39;s hoping anyway...

Back