• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

From tonight's Evening Echo:

Tilly Speaks In Keeper Furore

Southend United manager Steve Tilson today defended his decision to demote Shrimpers shot-stopper Darryl Flahavan down the Roots Hall pecking order.

Tilson sealed a free transfer swoop for experienced keeper Bart Griemink late last week but, despite reports to the contrary, the popular Blues boss insisted he had kept Flahavan fully aware of the situation.

"We decided that we wanted competition for Darryl - like we want competition for all positions," said Tilson.

"Las season I felt Flavs didn't have that - especially after the way Carl Emberson and Ryan Robinson started their Southend careers - but we've been in touch with Darryl all along."

And Tilson pointed out how his moves and motives had been backed by Shrimpers supremo Ron Martin once again.

"The chairman has backed me in my decision making over this, like he has over everything since I took over," said Tilson.

"He's helped me to bring in whoever I've said I wanted, but I think he might draw the line if I suddenly said Ronaldo."

"He doesn't interfere with the team either, though, he lets me get on with all that and hopefully we can both enjoy a successful season this year."

But Tilson is not expecting Flahavan to figure at all during the forthcoming campaign - despite offering the diminutive keeper a further year's contract.

"The deal is on the same money as he was on last season, but I don't think he'll be signing" confirmed Tilson.

"Flavs wants to be number one and play regular first team football, but I'm not sure he'll get that here and it's a long way to drive from Southampton every day if you're not playing regularly."

Flahavan is on holiday in Spain and is pondering over the deal offered by the Shrimpers.

Tilson has also backed number one Bart Griemink to enjoy a pleasing debut campaign for the coastal club between the sticks.

"He's a tall, experienced keeper - he's played hundreds of games and I'm sure he's going to do well for us this year," he said.

"But we kept Darryl informed all along. At the end of the day we wanted two strong keepers and, because of that, the chairman allocated us that money in our budget for next season."

"We went after a keeper, I told Flavs about it and was honest but that move fell through."

"Then Bart Griemink came up, I told Flavs what was happening and the move eventually went through which is great news for us."

Shame he probably won't be signing, Griemink and Flavs would have been a good pair of goalkeepers. Now we need to sign ANOTHER one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Banned @ June 28 2004,16:18)]From tonight's Evening Echo:

"He's helped me to bring in whoever I've said I wanted, but I think he might draw the line if I suddenly said Ronaldo."
i think this might be aimed at MtS shouting for Tilly to sign Ronaldo  
biggrin.gif

Oh and by the way we are bottom of the league in Play for Your Club and starring relegation in the face
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ June 28 2004,16:55)]
[b said:

biggrin.gif

Oh and by the way we are bottom of the league in Play for Your Club and starring relegation in the face  
sad.gif
<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'>MtS has also been calling for Rivaldo; another Brazilian - OS, watch yer missus mate.</span>

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Durera @ June 28 2004,17:09)]
[b said:
[b said:

biggrin.gif

sad.gif
<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'>MtS has also been calling for Rivaldo; another Brazilian - OS, watch yer missus mate.</span>
obviously he has a thing for all things Brazilian
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ June 28 2004,17:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Durera @ June 28 2004,17:09)]
[b said:
[b said:

biggrin.gif

sad.gif
obviously he has a thing for all things Brazilian  
rock.gif
Comes from growing up there I think

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Durera @ June 28 2004,18:09)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Banned @ June 28 2004,16:18)]From tonight&#39;s Evening Echo:

&quot;He&#39;s helped me to bring in whoever I&#39;ve said I wanted, but I think he might draw the line if I suddenly said Ronaldo.&quot;
biggrin.gif

sad.gif
I would be worried if she had the same fixation for all things Harry Potter&#33;
wink.gif

tounge.gif

I thought Matty the Shrimp (MtS) was just a young lad? He was brought up in Brazil?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 29 2004,09:31)]I thought Matty the Shrimp (MtS) was just a young lad? He was brought up in Brazil?
MatttheShrimp (different from MattytheShrimp) is not exactly a young lad (although he&#39;s still pretty young - late 20s I believe)...

MtS (as opposed to MytS) spent some years of his childhood in Brazil, as he has mentioned on here before, and saw a lot of Brazilian league games when he was young... which is why he likes the players so much I guess

cool.gif

Back