• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilly's Half time Team Talk

Somerset Ex-TTB

Members
I knew we had performed better in the first half compared to the 2nd half of games this year, however I am staggered by the difference.

We are the only team in the division not to have been losing a game at half time, and have the best record, being in front 6 times and drawing 4.

First Half Record 10 6 4 0 10 3 1

Yet our 2nd half record is relegation form, losing half of our 2nd halves.

Second Half Record 10 3 2 5 6 12 16

We have scored almost twice as many goals in the first half of games, and conceeded 4 times as many in the second half of games (OK the 4 at Walsall didn't help).

Is this a psycological / or fitness issue? Does Tilly just tell them to go out and defend? Are we becoming victims of our own success by relaxing too early in games, or are we simply not fit enough?

I knew we had performed better in the first half compared to the 2nd half of games this year, however I am staggered by the difference.

We are the only team in the division not to have been losing a game at half time, and have the best record, being in front 6 times and drawing 4.

First Half Record 10 6 4 0 10 3 1

Yet our 2nd half record is relegation form, losing half of our 2nd halves.

Second Half Record 10 3 2 5 6 12 16

We have scored almost twice as many goals in the first half of games, and conceeded 4 times as many in the second half of games (OK the 4 at Walsall didn't help).

Is this a psycological / or fitness issue? Does Tilly just tell them to go out and defend? Are we becoming victims of our own success by relaxing too early in games, or are we simply not fit enough?

No, I think this is a "we're still very early in the season so the statistics haven't had time to even themselves out yet, and one result can skew the numbers" issue.

haven't we had a manager like this in the past to the point where i remember someone from the west loudly requesting that the players stay out on the pitch at half time and the manager leaves them alone.

No, I think this is a "we're still very early in the season so the statistics haven't had time to even themselves out yet, and one result can skew the numbers" issue.

If I add the 2 cup games, it gets even worse.

1st Half 12 6 6 0 12 5
2nd Half 12 3 2 7 12 19

Isn't 12 games enough to see a trend?

I like this stat, and I think I'm right in saying Barnard has started 21 games. In those games where he has scored the first goal of the game, 13 times we've never lost. 10 wins and 3 draws so far.

The only time he's not got the first goal, at Walsall, we lost.

completely agree. you cannot rely on stats until at least November to December time.

I really dont thing a team talk makes us play worse after half time, he talks to them before the game after all.

If we are playing better in the first halves then its likely that the other team get a rocket and come at us more in the second half...

Too many stupid early bookings, I'd guess too (although I have no stats to back that up).

In two of those second periods we have been down to ten men, which won't have helped.

Too many stupid early bookings, I'd guess too (although I have no stats to back that up).

In two of those second periods we have been down to ten men, which won't have helped.

I got bored and i thought i'd help you out....

25 yellows and 2 straight reds (in all comps)

1st Half - 11 yellows
2nd Half - 14 yellows

Moussa got sent off on 63 min, after that both goals were conceded and Harding got send off on 68 min, but the goal was scored before that.

Thats my research for the week.......

I suspect most of those early bookings were for the defensive-minded players (the back four and central-midfielders) and will undoubtedly effect the way that they play in the second half. I've felt for the last couple of seasons that there's a streak of indiscipline that runs through the side, on the field. It probably actually helps explain both why we're so quick out of the blocks and why we're then clawed back by the end.

What have we got in common with Manchester United?

We are the only 2 of the 92 league clubs, not to have been losing a league game at half time, and they have only played 7 games.

Back