• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Back in 2005, following our LDV cup defeat, we had the dubious privelege of a 'derby' match with Orient a few days later. Although we were far from outplayed, I don't think any Shrimper could have argued that there was much if anything betweent he two teams that contested that game.

Well, around 21 months on and I find myself wandering down to Brisbane Road and wondering how the current setup of relegation threatened Orient matches up to our own club. Being a relative Phillistine in structuring arguments in cohesive paragraphs, I'll summarise in bullet points:

-) The team: The reason we all turn up to football seems to have served the opposite purpose from some of the comments on here recently. Well, last night was an interesting comparison given that the two teams on display had precisely one division of the league between them. To be honest, I simply could not believe that there are fewer places between us and Orient than them and Torquay. If we had been playing in that game, even taking out any two players you wanted from our team, I have no doubt that we would have comfortably beaten either side. If I was not already convinced, this match showed me that we are currently playing football that would never see us relegated from League One. If anyone seriously believes this, please go and watch a League One game and remind yourself of how it's played.

-) Style: None. Apart from a few patches in the first half and a very fine goals from Walker and Robertson, the play was extremely unattractive to watch. Again, last night was a great illustration of why Tilson should persist with Hammell. Neither side had a full back happy in possession and every time, the ball was pumped long and straight. At least we try and play good football even if it has not been effective this season. The only game I can think of us coming close was the Plymouth game but even that was not as bad as what I saw last night

-) Stadium: It was my first visit to BR and I was expecting it ot be not only bigger but a lot easier on the eye. I don't know what was going on with the stand opposite me but it looked as though someone had built a tube station on top. As for the pitch, the flats and floodlights made it look like a communal backyard that happened to have a football match going on. You wonder why we're complaining about building the new stadium on the supposed reason of being half full when other clubs don't have this option.

-) Ownership: Linked to the last bit. I can't believe that Hearn has had the cheek to build falts on each corner of the stadium. The flat's look fairly pleasant aside from being right next to a football ground and I'm sure someone will make plenty of money out of it but building flats there is absurd. As mentioned earlier, it completely removes the feel of the palce as a football stadium.

I do feel a bit bad for comprehensively laying in to most things red in front of one of the only decent Orient folk in the world but it illustrates how unbelieveable some of the criticism we've seen levelled at our squad this year really is. It's impressive that J_S can remain upbeat in spite of watching that rubbish most weeks but maybe this is the approach that more football fans should take.

Have to admit it was good fun calling L******d a w****r again though. No doubt there will be the usual mob, now ironically, clamouring for his signing on the basis of his set pieces.

that's a hell of a title I've got there....

sad.gif

This makes me realise how lucky we are.

Then I feel slightly sick at the thought of re-visiting the type of experience you have shared here!
sad.gif

Back