• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 17 2005,12:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ June 17 2005,12:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 17 2005,11:57)]Mind you I didn't go to Gillingham away  (0-8 ?)
8-1 wasn't it? Didn't Gillingham score an own goal for us?
Chance for 'wiwengee' this year  
biggrin.gif
Think we've already had that in my No 3 choice!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ June 17 2005,12:12)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 17 2005,11:57)]Mind you I didn't go to Gillingham away  (0-8 ?)
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
Ah but I'm hoping for (at least) a hat-trick from Sir Frederick of Eastwood against our poor relations from across the water....

cool.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 17 2005,12:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ June 17 2005,12:12)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
Ah but I'm hoping for (at least) a hat-trick from Sir Frederick of Eastwood against our poor relations from across the water....

cool.gif

biggrin.gif
Fine with me, particularly if it was also in the 1st game of the season!!!

Also, & this has always bothered me!
Does Paul Scally ever remind anbody else of the actor who was in Operation Good Guys & You Rang M'Lord?
wow.gif

In No Particular Order (sufc score always first)

1. 4-1 (a) v Millwall. First league game at the New Den

2.  3-2 (a) v Col U LDV Area final 1st leg

3. 1-1 (h) v col U LDV Area Final 2nd Leg

4. 2-0 v Lincoln City play-off final (cardiff)

5. 4-2 v Swansea Fredy's Debut 7.7 (sufc legend in less than 8 seconds not even stan managed that)

6  5-1 v Orient Cadette's 4 goals v his old club.

7. 0-0 v Lincoln our championship winning season. The atmosphere was amazing.

8. 1-0 v bury. Oh benji we love you we are going up to the old division 2.

9. 0-0 v Liverpool F.A.Cup 3rd round. record attendance and the mighty shrimpers holding the european champions.

10. 4-0 v (h) jan 1 92. v Newcastle say we are top of the league say we are top of the league

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shoebury Shrimper @ June 17 2005,12:24)]7. 0-0 v Lincoln The atmosphere was amazing.
Which one is that?
oops.gif

In the atmosphere stakes, an honourable mention must go to this years game at the Hall against Yeovil, which had the best atmosphere at the Hall in a decade IMO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 17 2005,12:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shoebury Shrimper @ June 17 2005,12:24)]7. 0-0 v Lincoln The atmosphere was amazing.
Which one is that?  
oops.gif

In the atmosphere stakes, an honourable mention must go to this years game at the Hall against Yeovil, which had the best atmosphere at the Hall in a decade IMO.
change my post
oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shoebury Shrimper @ June 17 2005,12:24)]8. 1-1 v bury. Oh benji we love you we are going up to the old division 2.
Could have sworn we won 1-0.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 17 2005,12:27)]
[b said:
Which one is that?  
oops.gif

The season just past has had some fantastic atmospheres. Honourable mentions to the games Vs Yeovil, Bristol Rovers (Both League and LDV), Northampton (Play-off second leg), Swansea, Darlington to name a few.

My pick:

1. 2-0 vs Lincoln, Play-off Final, Millennium Stadium

Probably no.1 as it's freshest in memory, but if you go up what a place and game in which to do it

2. 1-0 vs Bury 90/91 Gigg Lane

Promotion to the Promised Land

3. 3-1 vs Birmingham 93/94 Roots Hall

Fat Judas thrashed on his return

4. 0-3 vs Liverpool 78/79 Anfield

The Kop singing "Southend" made me cry, and they were not being patronising

5. 1-0 vs Wolves 86/87 Roots Hall

Crucial win against promotion rivals at an electric Roots Hall with "loads" of Wolves all over the place

6. 1-0 vs. West Ham 92/93 Roots Hall

Fat Judas leads us to victory (oh so sweet victory). Roycie makes crucial save from David Speedie just before the end

7. 5-1 vs. Port Vale 80/81 Roots Hall

Scintillating first 30 minutes of the game sees us 5-0 up

8. 2-1 vs. C********r 86/87 Layer Road

Fantastic long and mazy dribble by Peter Johnson before he unleashed a 30 yarder to beat Col U in a promotion season

9. 3-2 vs Wigan 87/88 Roots Hall

Superb 2nd Half comeback with two subs (McDonough and Ling) scoring before memorable David Crown run and scorching shot to give us victory from the jaws of defeat

10. 1-0 vs Watford 78/79 Roots Hall (FA Cup)

The replay victory that gave us the tie against Liverpool. All the nations press were ther to see Watford beat us to set up a clash with Liverpool, because the press loved them due to Elton John etc. Andy Polycarpou cracker gave us victory.

Worse game: Tuesday night away to Sunderland 0-7 in 87/88 (the only number we didn't concede that year between 0-8 was 5). To this day I still swear that there 5th was handball by Eric Gates!
tounge.gif

1. Birmingham 3-1. Judas' return. It was personal and am still not sure how we didn't make double figures
2. West Ham 1-0. Roots Hall as packed as I can ever remember. Stan down the left crosses it in and Brett Angell smashes it into the roof of the net. magic.
3. Newcastle 4-0. Top of the league.
4. Oxford 6-1. Barry Fry football at its best as we tore Oxford apart.
5. Luton 2-1. Survival and Stan's last game.
6. Birmingham (2) 2-1. I still hadn't forgiven and I still haven't forgotten Paul Byrne toying with their left back.
7. Rushden 4-2. Despair to elation in a way only Southend can do.
8. Charlton (A) 3-0. Only my 2nd away win (at 31st attempt) and we were all still jumping up and down celebrating our 2nd when Thommo chased a last cause to make it 3-0.
9 Grimsby 2-0 Tilly scores a cracker in a top of the table clash Roots Hall is rocking and it gives us the belief to finish the job.
10. Orient (A) 3-0. Alan Little offers us a false dawn after the nightmare of Alvin Martin and relegation doesn't seem a foregone conclusion.

Worse 10

1. Doncaster (H) FA Cup. 0-2. Outplayed at home by non-league team. Alvin Martin out!
2. Watford (H) 0-4. Embarassing. Watford had no fit strikers, so chucked a full-back up front, who promptly notched a hat-trick. Summed up by free-kick routine when everyone dummied it. How did Peter Taylor become coach of Eng U21s?
3. Carlisle (A) 0-5. Stimson as sweeper, Neville Southall in goal. I still cringe.
4. Port Vale (A) 0-5. 9 games unbeaten, but on the wide expanses of Vale Park got taken to the cleaners by a team who hadn't won in nine.
5. Huddersfield (H) 0-2. Beaten by Huddersfield's youth team, in a game where we needed to win to stay up. What really hurt was no-one but Roycie cared.
6. Hartlepool (A) 1-5. Only bright spot was Belgrave's performance as sub.
7. Boston (H) 0-2. Think it was Boston, a Tuesday night game under Wignall in which we hit everything long to Broughton. I think we probably missed a penalty. Have never known the pub so quiet afterwards. Even Barry Harris was quiet for 5 minutes.
8. A 0-0 (A) under Alan Little. Have never been so bored in my life. It was towards the end of the season between two mid-table teams where we went for the 0-0 from the word go. I can't even remember who it was against.
9. Scarborough (H) FA Cup 1-1. Were good for half an hour until Bramble injured. Broughton came on and cost us a game against Chelsea.
10. All those away games under Taylor, Whelan, Martin, Little etc were we went 1-0 down and know it was game over. They all blur into one.

1. Col Ewe 1-1 LDV. Knocking out the scum and reaching a final all in one night! Cracking atmosphere as well
2. Lincoln 2-0. Fantastic end to an amazing season.
3. West Hame 1-0. Beating the cocky hammers against all odds
4. Birmingham 3-1. Stuffing the fat judas so soon after he ditched us.
5. Derby 3-1 Away. As mentioned in an earlier post, the best football I've ever seen us play.
6. Gillingham Away 2-1. Two goals in injury time, ecstacy on the terraces.
7. Huddersfield Away 2-1. Wonder goals from Stanley fire us to round 5
8. Orient 3-0. Alan Littles first game. Neil Campbell's only decent game.
9. Luton 3-2. Bramble and Rawle torment the league leaders all afternoon. Classic cup tie.
10. Cambridge H 1986 (1-0 Donut). Where it all began !!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 17 2005,10:44)]9. Beating Birmingham 3-0 when Fry has just left
It was 3-1.

Peschisolido (ie Mr Karen Brady) scored with his arse.

I think its one of the biggest miscarriages of justice of recent years that we only won by 2 goals that day.

Suprised no-one has included my favourite game.

Away to the Swans November 03, 3-2, holding on with 8 men. Absolutely terrific game, full of all sorts of controversy, but a battling shrimpers side managed to score with 8 men on the pitch.

I was with a mate who supports swansea in the swansea end, which made it that much more special.

I will NEVER forget that game, the reaction of the crowd, and that feeling where if you show any emotion you know your head's gonna get kicked in, but you simply cannot control the smile/smirk on your face.

fanbloodytastic

can't give my other 9 as I have a job to be getting on with.......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 17 2005,11:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dedwards @ June 17 2005,10:55)]Worst game - Away to Port Vale ( under Fry lost 5-0 )
laugh.gif
 I was there - what a terrible trip that was... the Trust coach was like a wake on the way back!
Surely Taylor was in charge then, not Fry?

Definitely Fry , we had been on a really good run up till then .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gremlin @ June 17 2005,13:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 17 2005,11:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dedwards @ June 17 2005,10:55)]Worst game - Away to Port Vale ( under Fry lost 5-0 )
laugh.gif
 I was there - what a terrible trip that was... the Trust coach was like a wake on the way back!
Surely Taylor was in charge then, not Fry?
Indeed he was

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dedwards @ June 17 2005,13:53)]Definitely Fry , we had been on a really good run up till then .
nope - it was 5th November 1994 under PT.

Fry's last game was Leicester away on 5th Dec 1993

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ June 17 2005,13:29)]Worse 10

1. Doncaster (H) FA Cup. 0-2. Outplayed at home by non-league team. Alvin Martin out!

5. Huddersfield (H) 0-2. Beaten by Huddersfield's youth team, in a game where we needed to win to stay up. What really hurt was no-one but Roycie cared.
Ouch, those two burn particularly sharply in the memory.

The Donny result was 1-0, though... with the goal scored by then future, now current manager Dave Penney.  The worst thing was that Rovers were rock bottom of the Conference at that point; and that one of my best mates was in the North Bank, having the time of his life...

sad.gif

As for the Huddersfield game, that was a 2-1; and I'd managed to blank it from my memory.  The day the dream died; the day our sh*t team of greedy selfish mercenaries dragged us into the gutter, with our goal-scorer that day leading the way, scoring yet another pointless goal (in that he scored in the 82nd minute when we were already 2-0 down) to boost his own tally and do nothing for the team.  The worst thing was that Huddersfield were themselves only 5th bottom, had only won twice on the road all season and had 9 first-team regulars out injured... and yet they still won; we simply couldn't be arsed to try and beat them.

Those two, and the Bolton game I mentioned earlier, rank as my top 3 worst ever games in which I've had the misfortune to see us play.

sad.gif

Matt

P.S. Number 8 in the Weir list - was it York City? That was a game played in front of 3,300 on Sat 1st April 2000, with the following line up:

Capleton

Beard      Morley  Roget   N. Jones

Connelly  Tinkler  Pepper  Houghton

S. Jones Carruthers

Oh, and to spice it up, he brough Maher on for Houghton in the 79th.  Woo, go for the three points, Alan...

Feck, we've come a long way since then; the scary thing is that that team was probably on more dosh in 1999 - 2000 than our current team is now.

ghostface.gif

Back