• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kenny

Thailand Shrimper
This seems like an ace idea to me, could help the domestic game quite a bit with home grown players being blooded in. I think they especially need it north of the border where the Old Firm derby contains hardly any Scots!

--------

Uefa has announced clubs competing in the Champions League and Uefa Cup will have to include four homegrown players in their 25-man squad from 2006.

Europe's governing body also wants to implement the plan in domestic leagues but that will have to be agreed by each national association.

Uefa then wants six homegrown players by 2007 and eight in 2008.

Of the eight, at least four must be trained by the club's own academy and the rest in the home country.

Uefa defines a club-trained player as one who has been registered for a minimum of three seasons with the club between the age of 15 and 21.

Of the 32 sides in last season's Champions League, five clubs would have not had enough homegrown players.

They are: Arsenal, Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers and Ajax.

Uefa's 52 member associations will vote on whether the same rule should apply to domestic competitions at a Congress in Tallinn, Estonia in April.

There has already been strong opposition voiced by the Premier League and the Italian federation.

But Uefa chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson said: "We think this is a reasonable compromise based on all the consultations we have had.

"Although we have had negative responses from some leagues and some bigger clubs in those leagues, all the others involved have been very supportive of this idea.

"We also think the proposal is legal, because it is a sporting rule, not as a restriction, to develop and promote young players."

But a Premier League spokesman said: "Uefa clearly believes they have a robust-enough legal position to introduce the changes within their competitions.

"However, it is extremely unlikely that such a rule change will be introduced in our domestic competition."

Personally i'd love to see it implemented - i'd love to see how chelsea will fair
laugh.gif

Chel$ea have John Terry. All that would happen is that they'd get two youth team players to sit alongside Carlton Cole on the bench.

The situation is worse at Ar$enal. They've signed up players like Fabregas and will be able to play him as "home grown" talent.

I think the result of this move would be only to ensure foreign talent moves to this country at a younger age, so they would join a premier$hite club before they were 18 and would then be able to meet the "home grown" criteria.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Feb. 03 2005,18:33)]Chel$ea have John Terry. All that would happen is that they'd get two youth team players to sit alongside Carlton Cole on the bench.

The situation is worse at Ar$enal. They've signed up players like Fabregas and will be able to play him as "home grown" talent.

I think the result of this move would be only to ensure foreign talent moves to this country at a younger age, so they would join a premier$hite club before they were 18 and would then be able to meet the "home grown" criteria.
Actually, Chelsea have got plenty of English talent...

John Terry
Glenn Johnson
Wayne Bridge
Joe Cole
Carlton Cole
Leon Knight
Frank Lampard

Knight, Terry and C.Cole came through the ranks and Chelsea and Lampard, Cole, Bridge, Johnson through West Ham and Saints - does that still count?!

I like the idea personally - lets hope it doesnt damage the exciting (and mostly decent) foreigners coming into the Premier League.

Should be good for England tho!

Yes he's signed to brighton for free (so I hear) and chelsea have something like a 50% sell on clause with him. Can't see him leaving them in the near future though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Feb. 03 2005,18:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Feb. 03 2005,18:33)]Chel$ea have John Terry. All that would happen is that they'd get two youth team players to sit alongside Carlton Cole on the bench.

Actually, Chelsea have got plenty of English talent...

John Terry
Glenn Johnson
Wayne Bridge
Joe Cole
Carlton Cole
Leon Knight
Frank Lampard

Knight, Terry and C.Cole came through the ranks and Chelsea and Lampard, Cole, Bridge, Johnson through West Ham and Saints - does that still count?!

I like the idea personally - lets hope it doesnt damage the exciting (and mostly decent) foreigners coming into the Premier League.

Should be good for England tho!
I agree Chelsea have plenty of English talent, but the proposed system won't reward that.

Chelsea have invested in young English talent like Bridge, Parker, Johnson and best of all Lampard - however they won't get any credit for it.

Arsenal on the other hand will be richly rewarded for creaming off the best of Europe's 17 year olds, as these players will be designated "home grown" in a couple of years time.

Unless football is made a cultural exception, similar to the way cinema and music is protected in France, we won't be able to get a workable system.

Back