• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likewise, when a black couple moved in opposite my mother's, in whiter-than-white Eastwood back in the 70's (they were both doctors for christsake).

A) So what if they weren't doctors are you saying.....

B) You have no sense of humour

Nice to see that everyone has overlooked the fact that Canvey Island is in Castle Point and that is a major target for UKIP. And can I just point out that the only people mentioning colour here are the more left leaning of this site and not UKIP, Farage, me or him.

Just saying.
Canvey is represented by independent local councillors, don't think much of Canvey is Tory. Rebecca Harris's support is more in Benfleet and Hadleigh.

Canvey is represented by independent local councillors, don't think much of Canvey is Tory. Rebecca Harris's support is more in Benfleet and Hadleigh.
I was coincidently looking at this earlier today to see whether it was worth going to Canvey to canvass. Does anyone have any recent polls for Castle Point? I could only find election results and it seems in 2010 there was a BNP candidate for Castle Point but no UKIP candidate. That struck me as odd that they would move from no candidate in one election to using it as their campaign launch in the next. I know there were councillor gains for UKIP but as you say a lot of the Councillors on Canvey are independents.
Does seem that in CP it is just one right wing party taking votes from another right wing party which is the classic scenario muted when UKIP were first gaining support.

I'd be interested in finding out where the predicted 6 UKIP seats come from. Thanet I assume would be one but it's a bit late for any more defections so I don't know where the other 3 seats would be.

Also the Mark Reckless comment below doesn't make sense unless he is thinking ahead to 2020 and combining 2nd placed UKIP and 3rd placed Tory voting numbers unless he has forgotten about the first past the post system:

“I do not believe the Tories will win enough seats on May 7 to be able to deliver David Cameron’s plan for an in/out referendum on Europe. It will only be when enough of the third-placed Tories join Ukip in the north that there will be a majority in the House of Commons that we need to change Britain.”

I was coincidently looking at this earlier today to see whether it was worth going to Canvey to canvass. Does anyone have any recent polls for Castle Point? I could only find election results and it seems in 2010 there was a BNP candidate for Castle Point but no UKIP candidate. That struck me as odd that they would move from no candidate in one election to using it as their campaign launch in the next. I know there were councillor gains for UKIP but as you say a lot of the Councillors on Canvey are independents.
Does seem that in CP it is just one right wing party taking votes from another right wing party which is the classic scenario muted when UKIP were first gaining support.

This shows the breakdown from the last local Council elections http://www.echo-news.co.uk/archive/...tle_Point__Council_election_results__June_10/

I'd be interested in finding out where the predicted 6 UKIP seats come from. Thanet I assume would be one but it's a bit late for any more defections so I don't know where the other 3 seats would be.

Also the Mark Reckless comment below doesn't make sense unless he is thinking ahead to 2020 and combining 2nd placed UKIP and 3rd placed Tory voting numbers unless he has forgotten about the first past the post system:

“I do not believe the Tories will win enough seats on May 7 to be able to deliver David Cameron’s plan for an in/out referendum on Europe. It will only be when enough of the third-placed Tories join Ukip in the north that there will be a majority in the House of Commons that we need to change Britain.”

It could be that he's basing it on the Heywood and Middleton by election?

So if the third places Tory vote switches to second place UKIP - think you are right, just a strangely constructed sentence.

All if's and buts I guess, but my take is that with whatever labour support switches in the north which on paper is a harder nut to crack than the tory vote switching to UKIP then we could see some interesting and close run seats.

Neil Hamilton was on 5 Live this evening to 'explain' Farage's comments. I haven't clue what he meant because he kept contradicting what Farage had said, and what he had said himself earlier in the interview.

He rather casually dismissed the number of racial discrimination cases taken against employers, over 3,000 in the last 12 month period where figures were available, instead suggesting employers and employees could work out their difference between themselves. Is this man living in the real world?

You do realise the link is for the 2004 results don't you? I would have thought the most recent results would be more relevant. And if any of you knew the Labour candidate and his questionable past like I do then you wouldn't even consider voting, let alone canvessing for him.

Found it hard to find anything, to be honest, hadn't noticed it was that old though admittedly! :blush: Still, doubt it would have been too much different, Castle Point has been pretty predictable in its elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back