• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

University Fees

So much too reply to:

ACU - you were indeed fishing, and yeah there are always going to be some outliers when it comes to any of the arts subjects (media included) For example your average drama, film studies, art, dance or media student won't really go on to live a long and prosperous life.
However your always going to get well paid actors, directors, artists, dancers and journalists respectably.

Steveo - i was going for an obnoxious tone to give emphasis to my bigger man than you joke the general content of the post reflects. well done for noticing though.

Desert shrimper - don't do english lit.

Napster - slow day mate? you know you'll always get a bite

Steveo - i was going for an obnoxious tone to give emphasis to my bigger man than you joke the general content of the post reflects. well done for noticing though.
Thanks, it means a lot to me.

I'm going for the train me up route, hoping to get a job as a junior designer/developer if the business goes caput. I believe I can learn more on the job and through personal learning than I would doing a degree, plus I'd honestly rather live at home and not get into 20k of debt.

I'm going for the train me up route, hoping to get a job as a junior designer/developer if the business goes caput. I believe I can learn more on the job and through personal learning than I would doing a degree, plus I'd honestly rather live at home and not get into 20k of debt.

If I have one regret in life, apart from not kicking Derrick Parker in the bollocks when I had the chance it was not going to Uni. I am not sure what impact it would have had later in life, probably none, but visiting various friends at Uni and the great social life they had at the time was good fun. Educationally I think the jury was well and truly out.

What industry?

But who knows the difference in what you might earn depending on going to Uni or not.

I started work at 17. If I had stayed on at school, for 2 years and gone to Uni for 3 that would be 5 years not earning. In that time I reckon my wage averaged about 6 grand a year – so in the time I didn’t go to Uni I earned 30 grand. Doesn’t seem much but my first house – a 2 bed semi – cost 29900.
So I suppose I wouldn’t have gained an awful ,lot by going to Uni – and probably wasn’t clever enough.

But who knows the difference in what you might earn depending on going to Uni or not.

I started work at 17. If I had stayed on at school, for 2 years and gone to Uni for 3 that would be 5 years not earning. In that time I reckon my wage averaged about 6 grand a year – so in the time I didn’t go to Uni I earned 30 grand. Doesn’t seem much but my first house – a 2 bed semi – cost 29900.
So I suppose I wouldn’t have gained an awful ,lot by going to Uni – and probably wasn’t clever enough.

Believe me, 'clever' has nothing to do with it!

I met a lot of good friends and university and there were anumber of experiences that I probably wouldn't have had elsewhere, but to be honest, after 18 months I was done with it. I just wanted to leave and get a job.

Graphic/Web Design.

With all due respect, Graphic and Web Design is a slightly less intense industry, doing something it's probably best for you to learn on the job alongside an experience hand to teach you the ropes. At the end of the day, if you make a mistake or don't do something right, you can scrap it and start again with ease.

In a field like Journalism, if you make an error, such as publishing the name of a minor in a trial or anything that could be libel/slanderous/contempt or court you're likely to lose your job if the sub-ed's don't spot it, or if your editing and you don't spot it.

University is definitely not for everyone and certain career paths don't require a degree level qualification.

Sounds good but unfortunately you'll be up against a wealth of Uni students who will HAVE the degree and you'll hit a "glass ceiling", where the vast majority of jobs you'll want to apply for will state that a degree is mandatory.

That's why at the age of 37, I'm just about to finish a 3yr degree.

IMHO if you want to get into that field, I'd say hunker down and get the bit of paper. Live at home, live cheaply and run up a minor debt which you can pay off over time. Not ideal I know, but in the long run you'll be more employable.

With all due respect, Graphic and Web Design is a slightly less intense industry, doing something it's probably best for you to learn on the job alongside an experience hand to teach you the ropes. At the end of the day, if you make a mistake or don't do something right, you can scrap it and start again with ease.

In a field like Journalism, if you make an error, such as publishing the name of a minor in a trial or anything that could be libel/slanderous/contempt or court you're likely to lose your job if the sub-ed's don't spot it, or if your editing and you don't spot it.

University is definitely not for everyone and certain career paths don't require a degree level qualification.

Yes, Fred is very lucky to have people on hand like you to patronise him. Thankfully, you're being trained at University to do it in an objective fashion, as opposed to "on-the-jobbers" who would misunderstand the potential legal ramifications and end up appearing merely smug rather than wholly condescending.

Last edited:
Yes, Fred is very lucky to have people on hand like you to patronise him. Thankfully, you're being trained at University to do it in an objective fashion, as opposed to "on-the-jobbers" who would misunderstand the potential legal ramifications and end up appearing only smug rather than wholly condescending.

If Fred feels patronised by me telling him my opinion that Graphic Design is an occupation where it's probably best to learn from an experienced professional instead of a 3 year course more than likely taught by a graduate with a masters then I apologise to him.

Not that it's got anything to do with you, of course.

If Fred feels patronised by me telling him my opinion that Graphic Design is an occupation where it's probably best to learn from an experienced professional instead of a 3 year course more than likely taught by a graduate with a masters then I apologise to him.

Yes, good luck Fred.....

I've run large teams in the past and some of the most intelligent people I've ever managed had not gone to university. I've also interviewed plenty of drongo graduates for jobs.

One in particular sticks in my mind, a slightly posh, sporty type, Nottingham uni I think. After a particularly mind numbing 30 minutes of interviewing I could bare no more and asked;

"What's the one reason why I should give you a job?"

"Because I'm a bloody good bloke!"

Tim Nice But Dim could not have put it better.

However, like it or not there is a glass ceiling, and many employers will put the CV straight in the bin if there's no degree. Whilst it may not equip you any more for the job, it does open doors.

Agreed ESB. University certainly has its place (especially so in some industries), and for some they'll benefit from it in the design industry. I personally think that you can show what you're made of from your portfolio, so really only need a degree for the learning side.

Of course it's an aid, but I think showing you know what you're talking about whilst being self taught is more of an attractive prospect to a potential employer than someone who's got a degree but doesn't have as much practical knowledge.

Sounds good but unfortunately you'll be up against a wealth of Uni students who will HAVE the degree and you'll hit a "glass ceiling", where the vast majority of jobs you'll want to apply for will state that a degree is mandatory.

That's why at the age of 37, I'm just about to finish a 3yr degree.

IMHO if you want to get into that field, I'd say hunker down and get the bit of paper. Live at home, live cheaply and run up a minor debt which you can pay off over time. Not ideal I know, but in the long run you'll be more employable.
Not a bad plan MK. I could go to SEEC easily, get a degree and live at home. I still think it's not quite worth it.

I do believe that not going to uni and learning the skills other ways shows that you don't follow the crowd, you're willing to put the effort in on your own rather than through the education system.

Again, regarding the Design industry, you'll be judged on your portfolio. If you have a degree, that may be a minor aid, but people wont turn down your application dependant on your qualifications, they'll check your portfolio.

Fair play for realising what you need to do and getting it done, that may well be the thing you need to do.

Yes, Fred is very lucky to have people on hand like you to patronise him. Thankfully, you're being trained at University to do it in an objective fashion, as opposed to "on-the-jobbers" who would misunderstand the potential legal ramifications and end up appearing merely smug rather than wholly condescending.
DS, cheers for sticking up for me as it were, appreciated of course.

I didn't find ESB's post at all patronising myself though, to me he spoke sense.

Not at all, not at all.

Yes, good luck Fred.....
Thanks very much, to you also.

However, like it or not there is a glass ceiling, and many employers will put the CV straight in the bin if there's no degree. Whilst it may not equip you any more for the job, it does open doors.
True. I still believe that there's less so in the design area, but of course it still has a bearing.

What I personally have to do, is knuckle down in my own time, learn the trade as best I can, if the business tails off search for a full time job, whatever the pay and get myself some experience. Time is on my side, I just better not waste it.

Sorry, we're getting a little off track, we're supposed to be talking about university fee's :unsure:

Back