• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldnfatso

Red Rep King!
Why should the club go on a jolly that the club cannot afford?

Why should the Trust pay half of the money needed?

Are they gonna pay my expenses too if i cannot afford to go? Bloody right they are not!

Being as the Trust has just spent £12,000.00 of Trust Members money on Physio equipment etc for the club because it can't provide it for itself should the club be told by the Trust how about not waste money on pointless tours?

When we went up in previous years we went on local tours (Bermuda excepted) to places like Wakering, Witham, Chelmsford, Canvey etc.. These are cheap to organise, cheap for fans, they help local clubs too. Why not this year too when we can't afford it?

This makes my blood boil when we can't afford simple physio equipment but are willing to waste it on a pointless (expensive for fans) tour!

I've not made my mind up on which way to vote yet, and must admit that my initial reaction upon reading the email wasn't dissimilar to yours. My bigger concern though is that that money is (I've always assumed) supposed to be ring-fenced as a fighting fund for if the worst were to happen. I'm not sure whether spending it on a couple of weeks away for the first team is the best use for it.

That having been said, I can see the footballing argument for it and I'm sure that we'll take a fair few fans up there. Maybe this is exactly what everyone needs?

As I said, I'm undecided.

Agree on the point about travelling too far for pre-season tour. That does cost.

I live within a stones throw of Witham's ground and can tell you from personal experience that the Witham game always was a complete waste of time and I was glad we didn't do it last summer. The quality of the opposition was inferior to everything other than their fitness and the quality of the pitch. What our players learned from turning their ankles on a hard, bobbly pitch whilst desperately trying to avoid reckless, scything tackles from jealous, unfit amateurs and part timers is beyond me.

I'm not saying that Scottish games and grounds will be perfect but the oppo players will certainly be of a better quality and much nearer match fit because they play at a higher level and the Scottish season starts in July. That will mean the value to us of the game is much greater in terms of learning and fitness.

It's just another topic on which the club is damned if they do and damned if they don't. If we could attract an array of Premiership and Championship clubs to Roots Hall, then so much the better, but generally we can't do that. Ipswich must be mad to agree a friendly with us after what we did to them last time, not even being able to raise a team for the game!

Are they gonna pay my expenses too if i cannot afford to go? Bloody right they are not!

Being as the Trust has just spent £12,000.00 of Trust Members money on Physio equipment etc for the club because it can't provide it for itself should the club be told by the Trust how about not waste money on pointless tours?

When we went up in previous years we went on local tours (Bermuda excepted) to places like Wakering, Witham, Chelmsford, Canvey etc.. These are cheap to organise, cheap for fans, they help local clubs too. Why not this year too when we can't afford it?

This makes my blood boil when we can't afford simple physio equipment but are willing to waste it on a pointless (expensive for fans) tour!

just out of interest did you read the comments by Sturrock and Easton. If it was really a 'jolly' as you put it or a 'pointless' do you really think we would be doing it ?
Vote no if you think thats right, thats your choice- but vote for the right reasons. ps Your points baout your expenses is pretty irrelvant to the discussion.

As an aside the trust has clearly learnt from the last saga and I applaud it for asking the membership to vote, and for getting the opinions from sturrock and easton-- well done

Do you know for sure that we won't also be playing some local fixtures?

just out of interest did you read the comments by Sturrock and Easton. If it was really a 'jolly' as you put it or a 'pointless' do you really think we would be doing it ?
Vote no if you think thats right, thats your choice- but vote for the right reasons. ps Your points baout your expenses is pretty irrelvant to the discussion.

As an aside the trust has clearly learnt from the last saga and I applaud it for asking the membership to vote, and for getting the opinions from sturrock and easton-- well done

I voted no because WE SIMPLY CANNOT AFFORD IT!

As much as I and others want a tour different to the norm. Basically asking the fans to pay for half of it is wrong IMO. That money should be kept in the bank and used for more pressing issues. Of which I am sure there will be plenty next season...

If the club budget does not allow for such a tour at the moment. Then it should not even be considered.

If a sponsor outside of the club can be found, then that is a different story.

All that said my membership has expired so I have not voted anyway.

Last edited:

good post, already voted nooooooooooooooo.

Do you know for sure that we won't also be playing some local fixtures?

I believe we will also be playing the likes of Canvey & Wakering as normal. Add to that Ipswich and possibly Palace at home, then we have a pretty normal pre-season in the offing anyway.

As much as I and others want a tour different to the norm. Basically asking the fans to pay for half of it is wrong IMO. That money should be kept in the bank and used for more pressing issues. Of which I am sure there will be plenty next season...

If the club budget does not allow for such a tour at the moment. Then it should not even be considered.

absolutely right!

100% agree. It should have nothing to do with the Trust.

The main problem if they do, will arise if we're unable to pay our staff again at any stage this season. As inevitably the gesture will be flung back in their faces, with people saying the money could of gone to make up any shortfall in wages.

From a moral point of view, I don't think it's right. It also irks me that they've organised this before even looking to obtain the finance. It's almost as if they've just assumed someone will stump up the money and bail them out. But my biggest bug bear with this, is given our recent and current financial plight(s), we should be endeavouring to stand alone, not continue to borrow to spend beyond our means, it's like we haven't learned a single lesson - I know it's only 20k, but it's the principle.

From a selfish point of view, I would love it to go ahead, so I can have a few days away on the beer watching the Blues and picking up a new ground I would never normally go to. Who say's football fans are fickle.

I cant believe they even have the cheek to ask - that is a disgrace!!!

Why don't we play some decent Local (London) sides at home and earn some pennies that way instead of spending money we don't have.

20k could sign a decent non league player

The main problem if they, do will arise if we're unable to pay our staff again at any stage this season. As inevitably the gesture will be flung back in their faces, with people saying the money could of gone to make up any shortfall in wages.

From a moral point of view, I don't think it's right. It also irks me that they've organised this before even looking to obtain the finance. It's almost as if they've just assumed someone will stump up the money and bail them out. But my biggest bug bear with this, is given our recent and current financial plight(s), we should be endeavouring to stand alone, not continue to borrow to spend beyond our means, it's like we haven't learned a single lesson - I know it's only 20k, but it's the principle.

From a selfish point of view, I would love it to go ahead, so I can have a few days away on the beer watching the Blues and picking up a new ground I would never normally go to. Who say's football fans are fickle.

Spot on mate.

We would all love a beer up. But I would rather the clubs £10k was spent on wages/taxes/transfer kitty and the Trusts £10k was kept/spent on more important matters. Such as adequate training equipment/youth team etc etc.

I voted no because WE SIMPLY CANNOT AFFORD IT!

but we can afford it if the Trust pays half - so your logic is wrong

Sturrock has a budget, he would rather spend £10,000 on this tour than £10,000 on new players . Who know whats best - Sturrock of the average fan, I know who I beleive.

We know a lack of preseason cost us this year , if we don't do the tour, and we miss the play offs or automatic promotion by a couple of points I think it will be reasonable for Sturrock to bring up the fact that this tour could have made all the difference .

its not whats right or wrong , obviously we should not be in this mess, but we are in it, and the tour will help --- to me that is the most importatn point?

I voted yes.

In the scale of things £10k is not going to save/bust our club. However someone put the stat of the first 12 games up the other day. If we can get a really positive start to the season it will really help our chances next year. We always moan because we only play Wakering/Witham etc and now we are moaning because we are going to Scotland... our captain and manager seem to think it is a good idea and I put in my trust in them.

Some of us WANT to go on a tour

yes yes and yes if PS and CE say its a great benifit then i trust them and at the end of the day the trust was put in place to work WITH SUFC and what people forget is the club in the past have done alot for the trust

I voted yes.

In the scale of things £10k is not going to save/bust our club. However someone put the stat of the first 12 games up the other day. If we can get a really positive start to the season it will really help our chances next year. We always moan because we only play Wakering/Witham etc and now we are moaning because we are going to Scotland... our captain and manager seem to think it is a good idea and I put in my trust in them.

our manager and captain may think its a good idea as they are not paying for it and its a free trip back home for them, let them pay the bill if they are so up for it, playing dog shoot teams that are hardly conference standard is hardly a good pre-season and you got plenty of local sides around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back