• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wabo

Yep, that's why I'm not 100% convinced just yet on having no loans at all. It's a tough one.

Just feel there's a longer term gain to using our own players. After all, once they sign a contract they are an asset to the club, playing wise and financially, so you should give your assets the opportunity to grow.

Yep, that's why I'm not 100% convinced just yet on having no loans at all. It's a tough one.

Just feel there's a longer term gain to using our own players. After all, once they sign a contract they are an asset to the club, playing wise and financially, so you should give your assets the opportunity to grow.

Works both ways though, means our youngsters can’t be loaned out to get big boy match experience

It's a complex subject. Why do clubs accept loan players? Maybe a trial with view to buy, maybe to try a new system (e.g. maybe a club wants to try an attacking CM but doesn't have one on its books). Injury cover is an obvious one.

However if it's just to get a better player in, I'd be somewhat miffed if I were the player to give way!

..or you take a league player to your non-league club and then keep them on the bench to give a confidence to the boast to your own players.

Works both ways though, means our youngsters can’t be loaned out to get big boy match experience

If they get that experience away from their parent club.

Take Wabo as an example. I'm sure he would have continued to get experience for us had his opportunities not been restricted by the loan signing of Shaylon Harrison.

... and how much loaning out can you do with a player before at some point you have to use him for your own side.

^
Exactly those last two posts!

We shouldn't be a nursery for Championship and Premier Club's young players to get some game time. They need to be here because they are a benefit to us and are better than what we are producing ourselves.

I can't remember which poster it was last season who said they were against the loan system completely, but I find myself thinking this more and more of late.

The only acceptable loans should be either :-

1) Emergency - Like Crystal Waters the other year
or
2) A short term loan with an option to buy at the end of it, so a Sam Mantom scenario could emerge

The rest of this U23's nonsense, with parent clubs demanding game time for their products, I'm not sure I approve of.

We’ve had plenty of decent players on loan that would have been far out of reach if they hadn’t come as a temporary deal. Hal Robson Kanu, Adam Federici, Dorian Dervite, Sean Morrison, Britt Assombalonga, Taylor Moore. Yes we’ve also had some utter pony and the good ones do seem to be few and far between but any transfer at League One level is a gamble and I totally understand why managers have a flutter in this way every now and then because if u get a player of the calibre of those mentioned above you’re laughing!

I don't get it. If he wasn't good enough for a non league team, why do people think he's good enough for a league 1 team? Good luck at Braintree - work hard, get yourself in the team and score some goals - then we should talk about this. Until then, he seems more to me like another Trevor Fitzpatrick, Jason Williams and a few others that I can't remember their names.

As for loan signings... football is a results business. If CP thought when he signed him that McColsky was better than Wabo, or Taylor Moore was better than John White, then he thinks he's strengthening the team. Surely that's what you want your manager to be doing?

It's not all about whether Wabo is good enough or not. It's about at least giving the guy a chance. How do we know he won't make it? .. Even Jason Williams had more game time than Norm has had! . and the other night, Charlie Kelman had a run out.

Back in 2004, when we gave Freddy a start, I bet there were a few people questioning why some bloke who West Ham didn't want and was kicking around at Grays was being given a game in an important league match against the league leaders. The rest, as they say, is history.

Today, we'll be either playing one upfront or Cox with one of three fellas who have equally "failed to impress" recently.

Just be nice if we gave our own bloke a go for a couple of games, instead of shipping him out on loan.

I really hope he gets some minutes this time his last two loans were absolutely pointless!

Agreed. The poor lad hasn't been given much of a chance on his previous loans. Come on Braintree, let him show what he can do.

I dont have a problem with loans, its up to us to use them to our advantage. Taylor Moore is a good example, with Lennon injured we get use of a £1.5m Championship player. McL and Mantom were good try before you buy options.

The danger is that the PL hoover up all the young talent and then farm them out and abuse the loan system. You only have to look at that Scudamore situation to know the PL wont ever police itself and nor will the next puppet they employ as their guardian.

The best thing for us would to not take their academy players, only those with some sort of track record.

As for Wabo surely the best lesson he could learn is when you don't get in a non league team.....Buck your ideas up lad because you haven't made it yet......If you don't you'll be playing a lower standard than this.

Pleased the club are being proactive with loaning players. Fingers cross the two together will make an impact.

I dont have a problem with loans, its up to us to use them to our advantage. Taylor Moore is a good example, with Lennon injured we get use of a £1.5m Championship player. McL and Mantom were good try before you buy options.

The danger is that the PL hoover up all the young talent and then farm them out and abuse the loan system. You only have to look at that Scudamore situation to know the PL wont ever police itself and nor will the next puppet they employ as their guardian.

The best thing for us would to not take their academy players, only those with some sort of track record.

As for Wabo surely the best lesson he could learn is when you don't get in a non league team.....Buck your ideas up lad because you haven't made it yet......If you don't you'll be playing a lower standard than this.
Do you think non-league supports moan at league clubs scooping all the young talent and then loaning them out to them?

It's not all about whether Wabo is good enough or not. It's about at least giving the guy a chance. How do we know he won't make it? .. Even Jason Williams had more game time than Norm has had! . and the other night, Charlie Kelman had a run out.

Back in 2004, when we gave Freddy a start, I bet there were a few people questioning why some bloke who West Ham didn't want and was kicking around at Grays was being given a game in an important league match against the league leaders. The rest, as they say, is history.

Today, we'll be either playing one upfront or Cox with one of three fellas who have equally "failed to impress" recently.

Just be nice if we gave our own bloke a go for a couple of games, instead of shipping him out on loan.

Generally I agree with your posts Andy but not so sure on this.
Actually I think it is all about whether he is good enough or not !

Even if our management team are mistaken on the basis of what they see in training and U23 matches, he's gone to Maidstone and can't get a game there either.

I would be absolutely delighted if we gave him a chance and he turned out to be the next Freddy Eastwood but until he scores goals regularly at a lower level (like Freddy & McCoulsky & even Lapado did) why should he be given a chance in competetive League 1 matches ahead of others ?

McCoulksky hasn't got a great scoring record at League level.

Neither have many others given opportunities

Back