• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wanted- one new goalkeeper!

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
.....that gets involved and cuts things out. Yes he makes some decent saves but has no intention of getting in the mix to stop things from happening. Time and time again he is rooted to his line and resembles bar football going left and right just waiting for someone to poke it in the net. Has to be said and just because he made some decent saves last year doesn’t help the defence this year by leaving it up to them to clear when it’s in his box.....dominant keeper required as the shot stopping is the easy bit.

.....that gets involved and cuts things out. Yes he makes some decent saves but has no intention of getting in the mix to stop things from happening. Time and time again he is rooted to his line and resembles bar football going left and right just waiting for someone to poke it in the net. Has to be said and just because he made some decent saves last year doesn’t help the defence this year by leaving it up to them to clear when it’s in his box.....dominant keeper required as the shot stopping is the easy bit.
I agree entirely, Oxley is only a shot-stopper, albeit a very good one, but not a goalkeeper in the fullest sense. We would look so much stronger at the back if we had the sort of keeper you describe.

Do you feel better now you've got that off your chest Wiggy? We all have opinions but I can't say that I agree with you on this one. It will be interesting to see what others think.

I thought Oxley was our biggest threat from our own set-pieces yesterday!

Do you feel better now you've got that off your chest Wiggy? We all have opinions but I can't say that I agree with you on this one. It will be interesting to see what others think.
.....not started this thread for nothing....with him in goal i genuinely panic along with the defence and can see a goal coming everytime. In fact there first goal that was ruled out was a perfect example of him leaving it to everyone else as it came across his box.

Definitely one for the silly section of these forums, where it can be joined by threads about Cox being rubbish, Darryl Flahavan being too small (he stayed on his line too) and Mark Gower not being a very good player.
Oxley looked a fairly bad signing when he first joined us, but has managed to get his confidence together and prove himself a really good keeper (if not a Bentley). I hope he's able to keep his confidence up and would suggest he doesn't come on here to see people chipping him.

Was it you Wiggy who shouted at him from the South Upper to get off his line when he was off his line dealing with a backpass? He heard and looked round and shook his head.

Definitely one for the silly section of these forums, where it can be joined by threads about Cox being rubbish, Darryl Flahavan being too small (he stayed on his line too) and Mark Gower not being a very good player.
Oxley looked a fairly bad signing when he first joined us, but has managed to get his confidence together and prove himself a really good keeper (if not a Bentley). I hope he's able to keep his confidence up and would suggest he doesn't come on here to see people chipping him.
Every player deserves criticism from time to time and today’s 1st goal may have been avoided if he commanded more, he was rooted to the line

Thought he came and punched a lot more than normal yesterday - something presumably he picked up from our recent far more experienced loanee GK.

Was it you Wiggy who shouted at him from the South Upper to get off his line when he was off his line dealing with a backpass? He heard and looked round and shook his head.

No it certainly wasn't me. And don't be so ridiculous, theres no way he was off his line. Woops sorry, reread it, back pass.

This looks like a knee jerk reaction to a defeat. If you look at the goals yesterday, both could have been avoided by our defence. We were beaten in the air for the first, and.... left a man unmarked to slowly hook it in. The second was obvious that a left footed winger playing on the right will nearly always cut inside and shoot with his left foot, especially with minutes to go. Shall we ask for a new defence as well? He does tend to stay on his line, but normally when he has loads of our players just in front or to the side of him. He does rely on our defenders in those situations. We have just come out of a good spell of wins. He was a pivotal part in those wins.

Last edited:
The whole defending was ponderous yesterday. There were two or three good blocks, but mainly because the oppo player wasn't picked up in the first place.

Their winning goal, Jodi Jones had so much space on the right hand edge of our box. This happened countless times, all along the back 3, 5 or whatever it was meant to be.

Simple, with 4-4-2, the full-backs deal with the wide threat and the central pair deal with the one striker. In yesterday's case - Clarke-Harris. Chaplin tended to play off of him, so a midfielder would track him.

Yesterday, everyone seemed to leave it to each other. Hence the likes of Luke Thomas had so much time to run into dangerous positions and put early crosses in.

This was a question at the recent Trust Q&A. "Are our goalies instructed to stay on their line?"
Had to be said that Oxley prefers to stay put in these situations, brilliant shot stopper or not.

The best keepers in the world make mistakes, receive criticism and can still learn. Oxley is a good Lg 1 keeper, who I believe could do a job in the Championship, and at 28 is still coming into his prime. He is no mug and replacing him would be difficult. Be happy with what you have.

Kind of agree with Wiggy here. Twice he should have come and collected a through ball, the second one Turner done a step over to allow more time but he still didn't move, he then put Turner under pressure by it and he was forced to then put Oxley under pressure with a short back pass. I'm a big big fan of Oxley but yesterday he appeared to be asleep for half the game

This was a question at the recent Trust Q&A. "Are our goalies instructed to stay on their line?"
Had to be said that Oxley prefers to stay put in these situations, brilliant shot stopper or not.
I thought that as well,Coventry keeper came and got the ball and comanded the aerial threat which Oxley doesnt

I don't think an all-round goalkeeper exist at this level. If they did, you'll probably find they're moving up the pyramid rather than staying put for any sort of longevity. Just think about how hard it is for even the best of clubs with the biggest of budgets to find a goalkeeper.

Look at the trouble Arsenal had when replacing Seaman. Taylor, Manninger, Wright, Shaaban, Lehmman, Almunia, Fabianski, Szczesny and the Cech became available.

or Man Utd replacing Schemichel. Bosnich, Taiba, Barthez, Howard, Carrol... Finally they have De Gea. But it cost them.

I know we're not looking for a worldy, but I think it puts into context how difficult a position it is to fill and that players have their own strengths and weaknesses but they're just more apparent in goalkeepers. It's the nature of that position. Thanks for the saves yesterday Mark, Coventry could've been out of sight without them.

Back