• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wanted- one new goalkeeper!

If your grievance is not a personal one with the intent on gaining support from others why do you fail to mention the plus points of his performances that have been more often than his "failure to come off of his line" moments...?

If your grievance is not a personal one with the intent on gaining support from others why do you fail to mention the plus points of his performances that have been more often than his "failure to come off of his line" moments...?
.....because shotstoping is the easy bit, domination of the area is what we are missing every week. This is why he is a 5/10 goalkeeper and is looking all at sea when the crosses come in.

Really like Oxley but it is right. He’s huge but never commands his area. Every week the coaches spend quite a while throwing crosses in that he comes and catches. The whistle blows and he stays rooted to his line for any crosses. Why?

.....because shotstoping is the easy bit, domination of the area is what we are missing every week. This is why he is a 5/10 goalkeeper and is looking all at sea when the crosses come in.

"Shot stopping is easy" :Smile: Why is it that week in week out goalkeepers saves are mentioned in match reports around the country. These saves described in various ways depending on the quality of the save... If they were the easy part of a goalkeepers games they wouldn't get a mention.

I think that you'll find Bentley wasn't the best when it came to dealing with crosses and was also a great shot stopper... Where was your anti- Bentley thread?

So we are not missing, due to injuries, someone who knows how to kill teams off when we are in control of games (last two games come to mind) and a decent left back.If you think the managers priorities in the transfer window are signing another goalkeeper over that, you are not living in the real world, but we will see what happens in January.

Does unfortunately seem to be the modern way of goalkeeping. Dan Bentley was very similar. Yes Coventry's keeper came and caught crosses but they were just floated in and pretty easy for him. I would like to see Oxley at least rule his 6 yard box. However, I would say Oxley is a good League 1 keeper but not an excellent one.
The keeper at Harringay dint look. To bad

Mark Oxley has conceded 1.46 more goals than would be expected in line with the chances that we’ve given the opposition, the 19th worst figure in League One from the 23 regular goalkeepers.

Interesting, but begs more questions.

First, how is expected goals calculated? Does this take account of whether the shot was from 5yards or 30 yards out? Does it distinguish between shots hit like a tracer bullet and shots hit like a backpass?

Second, what's the margin of error?

Third, it's just a goal below average. That doesn't seem to be much of a difference. Maybe cost us a point (maybe 2, maybe 0) over half a season. Suggests limited value.

Mark Oxley has conceded 1.46 more goals than would be expected in line with the chances that we’ve given the opposition, the 19th worst figure in League One from the 23 regular goalkeepers.

I cant open the link but does that differentiate between a chance given to the opposition in the 6 yard box to that outside the box ? , if a defence is slack on marking in the area , it will mean that the number of "unstoppable" shots will be greater

Ahh yes I remember now why I had a long long break from this place... do you think maybe his current form is somewhat linked to our patched up back four and many injuries?

"Shot stopping is easy" :Smile: Why is it that week in week out goalkeepers saves are mentioned in match reports around the country. These saves described in various ways depending on the quality of the save... If they were the easy part of a goalkeepers games they wouldn't get a mention.

I think that you'll find Bentley wasn't the best when it came to dealing with crosses and was also a great shot stopper... Where was your anti- Bentley thread?

It's becoming glaringly obvious in recent weeks the impact of Oxley failing to deal with crosses, especially with defensive line ups changing regularly. Its a massive problem and Wiggy makes a very valid point (albeit rather over-dramatically). Trouble is we dont have many options. A kid and another Goalkeeper who may or may not be injured ?!

Surely the most important stat for a keeper is actually how many goals they let in.

In this case Oxley has let less in this season than the bloke who is top of that table, above.

There's too many variables regarding chances created by the oppo that are nothing to do with the goalkeeper for any stats to actually have any meaning.

When two of your only fit centre backs are White and Turner then even the best goalkeeper in the world would struggle to Keep them out.

There are 10 L1 sides to date with equal or more conceded goals than us. I bet there isn't 10 L1 sides with the same injury list as us.

A keeper is only as good as the mid-field and defence, it's not solely down to a keeper to prevent goals. Law of averages would say the more goals getting through the defence then the higher the probability of goals being scored.

And by his own recent admissions, Oxley has made mistakes and been inconsistent.

I disagree with a lot of the criticism of Oxley.

True he doesn’t come for as many crosses as I would like but we all know that, the manager and the players know that. Therefore our defenders know that they should always be attacking any crosses that come in and out defensive coaching should focus on that.

We would be far worse off with a keeper who sometimes comes off his line and sometimes doesn’t - if Oxley was great at crosses then I am pretty damned sure he would be playing at a far higher level than ours.

Player of the year by luck last season? No I don’t t think so.

Seems to be the modern way to play in goal. The Ox isn't alone in being reluctant to come for crosses. Wasn't Bentley's strength either and still isn't. Oxley is a good keeper but no better or worse than that.

Back