• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We all want what's best for southend?

palexander

Life President
Do we?

Some of the absolute dirge I've read on here recently is more aimed at ousting Ron Martin (to what end) and slagging off sturrock and his signings - normally people who haven't even seen us play yet pre-season.

These threads normally have someone pop up and say "ah but at the end of the day we all want what's best for southend"...

The best thing we can do door southend at the moment is support the players. Efforts to oust Ron Martin whilst noble are a waste of time and just causing so many arguments.

End of the day, he ain't going anywhere, nobody is going to come and save us and the way things are shaping up, things may settle down finally this week.

Can't the anti-Ron mob take a chill pill for a week or so and see how the next 14 days pan out? Face it, he knows how you feel and he's not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

All i can see you doing is HARMING southend fc, not helping it.

In my opinion ;)

Last edited:
Do we?

Some of the absolute dirge I've read on here recently is more aimed at ousting Ron Martin (to what end) and slagging off sturrock and his signings - normally people who haven't even seen us play yet pre-season.

These threads normally have someone pop up and say "ah but at the end of the day we all want what's best for southend"...

The best thing we can do door southend at the moment is support the players. Efforts to oust Ron Martin whilst noble are a waste of time and just causing so many arguments.

End of the day, he ain't going anywhere, nobody is going to come and save us and the way things are shaping up, things may settle down finally this week.

Can't the anti-Ron mob take a chill pill for a week or so and see how the next 14 days pan out? Face it, he knows how you feel and he's not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

All i can see you doing is HARMING southend fc, not helping it.

Can i just add....

In Your Opinion

Ron Martin has completely buggered us up, if people want to be unhappy thats their perogative.

Just because we played well against Derby doesnt fix the fact we have serious financial problems.

Personally I want to see an end to the problems with bills and wages being paid and its going to take months to rebuild confidence and as of yet we havent seen any progress.

Ron Martin has completely buggered us up, if people want to be unhappy thats their perogative.

Just because we played well against Derby doesnt fix the fact we have serious financial problems.

Personally I want to see an end to the problems with bills and wages being paid and its going to take months to rebuild confidence and as of yet we havent seen any progress.

Nobody is saying that, and its a narrow view - a glass half empty view.

The other opinion is that we have a decent management team who are somehow attracting players to this club. Players that are saying that they want to win the league and so far have played like it.

We are told the monies for the HMRC and Charterhouse are sorted and that there is a chance that Sainsburys are going to give us a written guarantee that they will cover debts going forward until the stadium is built.

If thats not reason to be if not positive, then at the very least optimistic?

Last edited:
I don't really know what to think at the moment as it's hard to know what info to believe and what info is not being revealed and therefore support of the team seems to be the only productive way we can channel our support and frustrations.

What I don't understand, and I may have missed it, is what in real terms those wanting protests against Ron Martin are trying to achieve by it...... if it is to bring about change then great, but are they approaching viable alternatives with the best of SUFC's intentions at heart? Just wanting Ron Martin out, with no thought for what will fill the vacuum left by his departure does not seem particularly focused......

As the Shrimpers Trust have said, Ron Martin is the "only horse to back" - and this despite them still being owed the £60k.

Think that speaks volumes for any protester to consider.

I accept Ron is here to stay and that he is so far in, that it would be difficult for him to be removed or even a change which could unbalance us even further. However i want our club to be run properly and not at the expense of Staff, Players, Suppliers, Fans. I don't think that is to much to ask for and that's why i am so ANTI Ron because he shows no signs of changing. He tells us something and it doesn't happen, whether it be paying someone or the lifting of the embargo. The man cant lie in bed straight!!! Going forward i would like assurances from him that a member of the Trust is put on the board with voting rights that can make a difference. I dont want to be fed any more ******** and lies.

Pb i commend your positive attitude, and i had a glimmer of hope last night when we equlaised because maybe not everything associated with SUFC is bad. However i don't know if i will ever trust Ron Martin!!!

Me in agreeing with you 100% shocker.
An excellent post mate :clap:

Personally I go to football, to watch football and try and enjoy myself, I spend all week talking about how Ron is a **** and how he has ****ed us up here and there.
So when it comes to a matchday, even a friendly, I will go to the game and enjoy it (If I can) especially if the players put in a quite impressive and committed performance against a very descent Derby side.
I try to forget these financial worries, and do what I do best, support the players with that beautiful badge on their chest.

So now we are all against protesting (yet again).

So what happens when the embargo doesnt get lifted and all of OUR so called new signings dissapear.
All going to be happy?

I seem to remember ron saying time and time again that this would be paid and that would be lifted , but it still hasnt , but its alright because we have PRE-signed some players and got a draw against derby.

How naive and gullible some people are.

Good old ronald...

So what happens when the embargo doesnt get lifted and all of OUR so called new signings dissapear.
All going to be happy?

I seem to remember ron saying time and time again that this would be paid and that would be lifted , but it still hasnt , but its alright because we have PRE-signed some players and got a draw against derby.

Good old ronald...

What is the protesting actually targetting achieving? Is it to attempt to remove Ron, or express disatisfaction with him and hope he changes is ways?

Dont want to **** on anyones chips but until the embargo is lifted I would say we have nothing to be pleased about.

I was gutted to see Tilly go, I think Sturrock on paper is a good appointment and will get my full support, his signings seems good and there seems to be a buzz.

However we are in court every week, we have been this close to being wound up and for that reason alone Ron martin will have to move hell before I can trust him again. I appreciate he is the only viable option at the moment but that does not mean I have to like it.

All going to be happy?

Good old ronald...

Just because people are happy with the performance last night, doesn't mean that everyone loves Ron again.
Dearo Dear.

Personally I go to football, to watch football and try and enjoy myself, I spend all week talking about how Ron is a **** and how he has ****ed us up here and there.
So when it comes to a matchday, even a friendly, I will go to the game and enjoy it (If I can) especially if the players put in a quite impressive and committed performance against a very descent Derby side.
I try to forget these financial worries, and do what I do best, support the players with that beautiful badge on their chest.

This is exactly how I feel. I enjoy watching football, I didn't sign up to get involved in the running of the club, as long as a team turns up for each match I will be supporting them.

All going to be happy?

Good old ronald...

Your glass is half empty, mine half full, What if the embargo is lifted, players stay and we play as a united Southend, will you be happy???
The truth is none of us know what is going to happen, I prefer to be positive, we have players willing to pledge their future to SUFC, that is a good thing, we have an experienced manager that is willing to pledge his future to SUFC that also a good thing.
Lets wait and see, I'm not naive or gullible, and I'm not a clairvoyant either. I am just going to wait and see what the new season brings.

You and I are completely on the same page these days.

Fans seem to lurch from one side of the spectrum to the other, there never seems to be a middle ground. The way i see it is:-

Positives
We're getting some new players in.
We played well against Derby.
Hopefully our debts will be underwritten by Sainsburys (or something like that)

Negatives
New manager isn't under contract and could walk any moment if he wanted.
Still under transfer embargo.
Still have massive debts.
Court case on the 2nd could finish us a club.
The club has been awfully managed over the last umpteen years getting us into the mess.

Lester and Jam Man, I totally agree with everything you have posted and including some others on this thread.

Yes there are positives but there are still a f***ing load of negatives that worry the crap out of me.

You and I are completely on the same page these days.

Fans seem to lurch from one side of the spectrum to the other, there never seems to be a middle ground. The way i see it is:-

Positives
We're getting some new players in.
We played well against Derby.
Hopefully our debts will be underwritten by Sainsburys (or something like that)

Negatives
New manager isn't under contract and could walk any moment if he wanted.
Still under transfer embargo.
Still have massive debts.
Court case on the 2nd could finish us a club.
The club has been awfully managed over the last umpteen years getting us into the mess.

This is the camp I am in. I look at the positives as much as I can, I need positives. That's why I did my very positive report from the training ground post. We needed good news, at a time when every day seemed to be bad. Actually took a bit of stick for doing a positive post.

But I have all bad things I have been told and seen for myself, going around in my head.
And after many attempts, nobody will or can answer my questions on the 4.7million interest free loans(firestorm even says this is not in the Martin Dawn accounts) and the 60K management fee.

This is the camp I am in. I look at the positives as much as I can, I need positives. That's why I did my very positive report from the training ground post. We needed good news, at a time when every day seemed to be bad. Actually took a bit of stick for doing a positive post.

But I have all bad things I have been told and seen for myself, going around in my head.
And after many attempts, nobody will or can answer my questions on the 4.7million interest free loans(firestorm even says this is not in the Martin Dawn accounts) and the 60K management fee.

I thought this had been explained to you a couple of times?

I dont understand it personally and dont pretend I could, but I've read posts with people outlining what they know of the accounts (Firestorm) in reply to you?

Both of those things have been answered both times you've asked.

The loan balance in the latest accounts is 900k. It's possible that the total loans in recent years from Martin Dawn PLC to Ron Martin is 4.7m but the way that the story was written is that Martin Dawn have written Ron Martin a cheque for that amount, and that isn't really the case. What has it been used for? Good question and no one knows. I'd suggest that it's possible that we saw a lot of that money as there are plenty of loans in the accounts from Ron Martin to us to cover our cashflow shortages and I don't think that money was his. That would just be a guess though.

As for the management fee, it was a fee to Martin Dawn for the use of their employees. It's not uncommon. Cowling at Colchester charged more than twice that and I doubt it went into his back pocket.

Back