• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jez Butterworth's Jerusalem.When I saw this in the WE (about 10 years or so ago now) with Mark Rylance as Johnny "Rooster" Byron I thought it was one of the best plays I'd ever seen.Sadly it doesn't work so well on the printed page.Remember thinking then they should film it for posterity.Hope they will (or livestream it at least) when the play's revived before the summer.

Ian Rankin's Hide and Seek .Early Rebus (number 2 I think).Must say I prefer the JR who listens to the Stones & Jackie Leven (rather than the Beatles White album,Jazz and radio 3 as here) but otherwise its the same excellent IR. You really can't beat him for plot or Edinburgh description.

Ian Rankin's Hide and Seek .Early Rebus (number 2 I think).Must say I prefer the JR who listens to the Stones & Jackie Leven (rather than the Beatles White album,Jazz and radio 3 as here) but otherwise its the same excellent IR. You really can't beat him for plot or Edinburgh description.
Just got the Dark Remains which was part-written by William McIlvanney before he died and Rankin finished it. Having lived in Edinburgh myself it is very true to the city. Although Irvine Welsh was probably more accurate…

Just got the Dark Remains which was part-written by William McIlvanney before he died and Rankin finished it. Having lived in Edinburgh myself it is very true to the city. Although Irvine Welsh was probably more accurate…
Rankin finished it from Mcllaveny's plot outline IRRC.Anyway it's a good read though set in Glasgow like WM 's other novels.Irvine Welsh (who I also like) while certainly writing about the "Athens of the North" is rather different to IR.Seem to remember you saying you'd lived up there.Personally I've just visited a couple of times.Nice place with quite an underside!

'The Child' , by Max China cant put it down , great read and a great author .

I'm fifty pages into 'Maledictus', the debut novel by Phil Burdett, the Westcliff-based musician and poet. It's unlike anything I've read previously due to Phil's unconventional style. He's able to conjure great imagery and I love the reflections in his musings, e.g. " "& sometimes when drowsily walking through the new town's peripheral woodland a certain mad purpose would grip his heart - a sense that perhaps there is a reason to fix these pretty hours in memory - because one day they will be useful as well as decorative, serving as a temporary balm to an inconsolable misery as yet mysterious & distant - the streets, shops, churches, all whispering of their mortality, of their passive surrender to change"

Only 490 pages to go.

I'm fifty pages into 'Maledictus', the debut novel by Phil Burdett, the Westcliff-based musician and poet. It's unlike anything I've read previously due to Phil's unconventional style. He's able to conjure great imagery and I love the reflections in his musings, e.g. " "& sometimes when drowsily walking through the new town's peripheral woodland a certain mad purpose would grip his heart - a sense that perhaps there is a reason to fix these pretty hours in memory - because one day they will be useful as well as decorative, serving as a temporary balm to an inconsolable misery as yet mysterious & distant - the streets, shops, churches, all whispering of their mortality, of their passive surrender to change"

Only 490 pages to go.
You can't get this on Amazon.You might want to tell PB so he can sort it.

Back