• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just finished Joey Barton's autobiograpghy No Nonsense.Thanks to SBH for the heads up on this. He's clearly a much more mult-dimensional chareacter than the mindless thug depicted by MSM.Having said that, personally I could heve done without the lashings of ultra violence and motivational psychology.Quite liked the football talk though.Not suprisingly, he didn't have any time for Dougie Freeman or Kevin Bond.Would be fascinating to know what he thinks of Kevin Maher but I guess we'll have to wait for his follow up book on lower league management for that,unless he achieves his ambition to "give something back" at OM and Newcastle,which I doubt somehow.

Apart from Barna, can anyone else post on here?:Winking::Smile:
I haven't looked at threads apart from football for a long while. I must be the last one to find out about Easyjet's return to Southend! When are they going to fly to Toulouse??? Anyway, books; I haven't stopped reading, just not posted what I've been reading on here. My english selection has been gone through and there's not much turning up in the 'foreign section' at Emmaüs. So, I've started reading in french. It's a bit slow going and I don't understand every word but it's OK. Just finished the 'policier' Le Cercle by Bernard Minier. He has been translated into English, so you wouldn't have to brush up on your 'O level' french to enjoy it! His police Inspector is Martin Servaz, who is conveniently based in Toulouse and his novels are set around the area (Saint Gaudens gets a mention!). It was a good read and you can just take one book on its own merits. However there is a series where the characters are developed through each book. Just started on another rather black thriller, Dans La Brume Ecarlarte by Nicolas Lebel, with vampire undertones. The story is developed through a number of threads, which will no doubt start to merge together in order to, hopefully, reach a thrilling conclusion

Last edited:
Apart from Barna, can anyone else post on here?:Winking::Smile:
I haven't looked at threads apart from football for a long while. I must be the last one to find out about Easyjet's return to Southend! When are they going to fly to Toulouse??? Anyway, books; I haven't stopped reading, just not posted what I've been reading on here. My english selection has been gone through and there's not much turning up in the 'foreign section' at Emmaüs. So, I've started reading in french. It's a bit slow going and I don't understand every word but it's OK. Just finished the 'policier' Le Cercle by Bernard Minier. He has been translated into English, so you wouldn't have to brush up on your 'O level' french to enjoy it! His police Inspector is Martin Servaz, who is conveniently based in Toulouse and his novels are set around the area (Saint Gaudens gets a mention!). It was a good read and you can just take one book on its own merits. However there is a series where the characters are developed through each book. Just started on another rather black thriller, with vampire undertones. The story is developed through a number of threads, which will no doubt start to merge together in order to, hopefully, reach a thrilling conclusion
The best French crime author is Fred Vargas.

My husband has given me kindle - which I have always been against as I love a book and he feel of a book but with a long haul pending holiday I have to be mindful of luggage allowance etc. and books do take up space. Anyhow, looking on line the amount of books that can be down loaded is phenomenal

My husband has given me kindle - which I have always been against as I love a book and he feel of a book but with a long haul pending holiday I have to be mindful of luggage allowance etc. and books do take up space. Anyhow, looking on line the amount of books that can be down loaded is phenomenal
Just seen that you can get a few freebies via 'Kindle Unlimited', including this one: ->

FM247 RIM front cover.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FM247-RADI...ZFdCpkMQRUmHf-luZt-sBEgQH0NoJnMkDjxED8wT3hyUQ :Winking:

I don't generally read 'sci-fi' but a friend (hugely esteemed, as the landlord of my local) lent me this. I'm also not a 'gamer' either, so this SF story about a scientist who has a brain scan and subsequently finds himself locked in various computer game worlds, seemed quite inauspicious. However, it's a fascinating and enjoyable novel, with occasional flashes of humour and some insights into how we might be controlled by powers beyond our comprehension.

It's a lengthy affair and it probably could have been condensed slightly as the detail is quite extensive on occasions. But it's very well-written and I can understand how the author has quite a loyal following.

bedlam.jpg

Michael Posner's enjoyable Leonard Cohen .Untold Stories :The Early Years.

An oral biography.Well edited and put together.TBF I've come across quite a few of these stories before.

De la Mora & Pescador' s Diego Rivera.An interesting graphic novel and a useful corrective to the recent burgeoning Freda Kahlo industry.Personally I've always thought Rivera was the greater artist and a more interesting (if flawed) personality.

Back