• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nearly finished Gillian Tett's excellent Anthro Vision:How Anthropology can Explain Business and Life.Long been a fan of GT's FT journalism.She correctly predicted the 2008 crash and Trump's election.Not Brexit.Still 2/3 's not bad.

Nearly finished Featherhood by Charlie Gilmour.Kes it's not but the stuff on his birthfather Heathcote Williams is excellent.Not quite so interested in the magpie bit of the story myself.

Grammar Free.jpeg

An amusing exercise in jolly-japery via this collection of letters during last year’s lockdown to various UK punk rock groups and/or their songwriters – and some inspired replies too. You probably need to know the bands/records referenced to really enjoy all of it but it’s still quite fun even if you don’t.

Just started Peter Mandler's The Crisis of the Meritocracy:Britain's transittion to Mass Education since the Second World War.

Rather hard going for what should be a fascinating subject.

I am making my way though the Joe Pickett series of books by A J Cox.
Central character is Wyoming Fish and Game Warden, a type of american nature cop. Some interesting storylines around federal corruption, energy and green issues, animals and GUNS.
Recommended to you all.

I am making my way though the Joe Pickett series of books by A J Cox.
Central character is Wyoming Fish and Game Warden, a type of american nature cop. Some interesting storylines around federal corruption, energy and green issues, animals and GUNS.
Recommended to you all.

Joe Piggott ?

Just Finished Huw Benyon's and Ray Hudson's The Shadow Of The Mine:Coal and the End Of industrial Britain,An excellent account of the closure of Britain's coalfields and the failure to provide industrial regeneration in the areas of South Wales and Durham in particular by both Thatcher's and Blair's governments..

shaun's book.jpg

An enjoyable debut novel and 'coming of age' story. One that's likely to evoke memories of adolescent uncertainties - I couldn't help but think that 'The Barman' narrator's own uncertainties with women might revolve around his estranged relationship with his mother as two of the three women who he admires in this tale become ersatz mother figures to him. Some great dialogue and cracking one-liners amidst the interactions between the habitues of 'The King George'. It's impressive that this novel sustains interest throughout as the setting of a dinghy pub in Sutton Coldfield might not seem like one guaranteed to captivate the reader's attention over 350 or so pages but it does. I just wish there'd been a different ending but I won't elaborate on that as no-one likes a spoiler.

Just started Chris Thomas KIng's excellent The Blues :The Authentic Narrative of My Music.

Saw CTK live a few years ago here.He's probably best known to most people for his appearance in the Cohen Brothers' O Brother.

(Not suprising perhaps since he was born/grew up in Baton Rouge, CTK takes the line that the Blues originated in New Orleans in the 1890's and not In nearby Mississippi some 20 years later).

Last edited:
Back