• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

View attachment 15005

This was Raymond Carver's 'breakthrough' collection of short stories from 1976. Everyone's a winner. Either my memory's getting far worse, or I didn't get around to reading this beauty when I bought it probably about twenty years ago. If you've not read any of the great man's work, it's frippery-free and directs you straight to the possibilities of what's going on in the minds of his well-etched protagonists but there's always room for your imagination to fill in the gaps. I'm going to try to find another of his collections that I know is somewhere around Fort Nox in the hope that I've not already read any of the gleaming gems that are bound to be contained within. But even if I have, I know that there'll still be much to admire.

Quite possibly Elephant or Cathedral or What we Talk about When We talk of love.

Edit.If you've ever read a RC short story you can't forget the ending.

Last edited:
Just finished reading 'Soeurs' by Bernard Minier. Much slower reading in French and sadly, if I looked up every word I didn't understand, I'd still be reading it at the end of the year! Of particular interest to me because his policeman Martin Servaz is based in Toulouse. So lots of local interest and in the above book his character comes down the motorway and leaves it at St Gaudens en route for Aspet. This is not totally inconsequential for readers on here as his books have been translated into English and are definitely worth investigating.

I was very pleased to rediscover this one after reading it over 20 years ago. I recalled it having some interesting insights into the assassination of Bobby Kennedy in particular, especially with how the man convicted of his murder, Sirhan Sirhan, was never in a position to fire the fatal bullet which was shot from immediately behind RFK's right ear and how an eye witness in the pantry of the Ambassador Hotel in LA where the shooting took place saw a security guard immediately to the side and behind Bobby also firing that night.

Matthew Smith delivers plausible arguments towards the existence of a Consortium of the US power elite being behind the killings of the Kennedys and how renegade CIA agents helped to plan the hits - as payback for the brothers' lack of support when the Bay Of Pigs invasion was crushed by Fidel Castro's Revolutionary Armed Forces in 1961 - with use of decoy 'patsies' to deflect attention from the real assassins. He also argues that Marilyn Monroe was murdered in an effort to ensnare Bobby Kennedy (who visited her on the evening before she died, reportedly to confirm the end of their affair) into the frame for her killing and also that Ted Kennedy's fateful drive on Chappaquiddick Island was not the accident it seemed though it was effective in the Consortium's plans to thwart any future Presidential bid by the youngest brother. That particular thread is more nebulous and less convincing but the death of Mary Jo Kopechne in the back of the Senator's car certainly seems shrouded in uncertainty just by virtue of Ted Kennedy's own strange account of what transpired. A very intriguing book and it's available pleasingly cheaply via that well known internet retail giant beginning with the letter A.

Attachments

• Vendetta.jpg
    Vendetta.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 1
Currently reading Daniel Farson's Sacred Monsters.Very gossipy and snobbish but well written.TBF he photographed and interviewed quite a few well known people back in the day..Not Prince Philip though.Obviously missed a trick.

Just finished Larry Mcmurtry's The Last Picture Show,Enjoyed the film too when that came out back in the day.Seem to remember there was a lot of teenage angst about sex in it as there is in the novel.Imagine it was ever thus.

Just finished Geoff Norcott's Where did I go Right? :How the Left lost me.

First off, I'm not RW at all.

Second, this book is often laugh out loud funny.

Third, the Left in general and Labour in particular need to learn a few things from this account.

Currently reading Martin Amis's Inside Story.Now Mart is a snob and an inveterate name dropper but his saving grace is that he writes well.Though I still much prefer Amis père (who was a lot funnier).

Back