• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wow are you a speed reader on par with Johnny 5 from Short Circuit? ?

The amount of books you get through is on another level!
It helps if you're retired. :Winking: Currently reading Javiar Cercas's Lord of all the Dead.IMO he's Spain best living author.They hate him in Cataluña -despite the fact that he speaks and writes in fluent Catalan. Probably because despite this, he prefers to publish in Spanish first and as his regular weekly column in El Pais shows, he's no fan of Catalan nationalism/ independence.

Recently finished Wiliam Mcilvanney's The Papers of Tony Veitch, the 2nd in the excellent Laidlaw triliogy.

As it happens, I have a slight aquaintaince with the Gorbals world of mid-70's Glasgow described in the novels.Used to have a Scouse mate studying up there at Strathclyde and went to see him in the mid 70's a couple of times.Always remember coming back from one weekend on the sleeper to London and playing Sunday football in the Forest & District league the next day.Anyway,in the pre-match kick about the team captain came up to me and asked me how I felt."Rough" I replied (after a couple of nights out on the lash in Glasgow's pubs).He then broadcast to the rest of the team "It's all right lads, Phil feels rough". Different times. :Smile:

Last edited:
Recently finished Wiliam Mcilvanney's The Papers of Tony Veitch, the 2nd in the excellent Laidlaw triliogy.

As it happens, I have a slight aquaintaince with the Gorbals world of mid-70's Glasgow described in the novels.Used to have a scouse mate studying up there at Strathclyde and went to see him in the mid 70's a couple of times.Always remember coming back from one weekend on the sleeper to London and playing Sunay football in the Forest & District league the next day.Anyway,in the pre-match kick about the team captain came up to me and asked me how I felt."Rough" I replied (after a couple of nights out on the lash in Glasgow's pubs).He then broadcast to the rest of the team "It's all right lads, Phil feels rough". Different times. :Smile:
As I recall, anyone who didn’t feel rough was dropped for the next game……with the exception of our youth prodigy of course……..

V2 by Robert Harris.

As with all his fictional stories set around real events a great read.

Back