• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That is a rather patriarchal comment...
Possibly but this (rather short) book is a misguided attempt;IMO,to set the record straight about Essex women by mentioning some rather posh,intellectual examples.Almost as demeaning as some of the original Essex girl jokes (some of which I have to admit I found quite funny).

Last edited:
James Holland, Brothers in Arms.
The story of a British Yeomanry Regiment in WW2.
If you like Stephen Ambrose "Band of Brothers" then this book is similar to that but SO much more.
These ordinary men, Territorials, started the war as horse cavalry sent to middle east and fighting in 1939, then mobile artillery, up and back along desert war, then became tank regiment in 1942 before El Alimein. Fought all desert campaign. Landed in first wave on D Day and fought through to VE Day to become most decorated British Regiment of the war. Suffered 150% casualties in the 11 months of the Europe campaign alone. Some of the things these very young, ordinary men did is beyond bravery, truly extraordinary.
An absolute 10/10

Margarat Atwood's Burning Questions :Essays And Occasional Pieces 2004-21.

Not only is MA an outstanding feminist and enviromentalist but she's also a first rate writer too as this collection shows.

Just finished Oliver Bullough's Butler to the World :How Britain Became the Servant of Tycoons ,Tax Dodgers ,Kleptocrats and Criminals.This has been our role since Suez in 1956 according to OB 's thesis.Particularly enjoyed the chapters on Gib. (always thought that dodgy property deals were how money was made on the Rock: turns out that its through online gambling,And those chapters on Ukranian oligarchs.Always knew there were enough Russian ones (who didn't?):appears there are plenty of Ukranian ones too.A timely read.

Just finished Oliver Bullough's Butler to the World :How Britain Became the Servant of Tycoons ,Tax Dodgers ,Kleptocrats and Criminals.This has been our role since Suez in 1956 according to OB 's thesis.Particularly enjoyed the chapters on Gib. (always thought that dodgy property deals were how money was made on the Rock: turns out that its through online gambling,And those chapters on Ukranian oligarchs.Always knew there were enough Russian ones (who didn't?):appears there are plenty of Ukranian ones too.A timely read.

If I am approached about a job for a firm based in Gibraltar or Malta I reject it immediately because I know it is related to online gambling.

It's my way of making a stand without having to actually do anything inconvenient - like Guardian readers boycotting Sports Direct.

Last edited:
If I am approached about a job for a firm based in Gibraltar or Malta I reject it immediately because I know it is related to online gambling.

It's my way of making a stand without having to actually do anything inconvenient - like Guardian readers boycotting Sports Direct.
Since I'm not interested in gambling (though my father was an inveterate gambler) I don't have anything to do with Sports Direct, as a fellow Guardian reader either.

Edit .There's no mention of The Guardian or Sports Direct in the index of OB's "Butler to the World".Thought I couln't remember reading anything about them in the text.Make of that what you will!:Smile2:

Last edited:
DE 1984.jpg

I finished this mighty tome yesterday. Thanks to David Elliott for opening my eyes to a whole lot more going on in British pop's dividing year than I recalled from those days. This is a wonderfully comprehensive and thoroughly well-researched book with several humorous asides. I expect it was a real labour of love. I'll be referring to it when I need to know more again than I currently do about the music of 1984 and also its creators. It's a hugely valuable information gold-mine for music aficionados with an interest in this music era. Great work!

Just finished Denis Johnson's The Largesse of the Sea Maiden.Not my sort of thing at all really -though I did quite like the last short story DoppelGanger,Potergeist about Elvis and the Twin Towers inter alia.

Back