• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What class do you consider yourself?

What class do you conisder yourself

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reg Martin

No Relation
Much of South East Essex has been prosperous compared to other parts of the country for as long as I can remember yet anecdotal evidence suggests SZ is used by people who mainly consider themselves to be working class. So why the discrepancy? Are lots of people deluded about their background or is confessing to be middle-class still seen as a bit of blow to the image?
I thought of making the poll anonymous to get more honest responses but as Adam Ant said, "Essex Man, Essex Man, Being middle-class is nothing to be scared of"

Why does salary come into it? Surely it's more about background, upbringing, and whether you have to work for your income?

Why does salary come into it? Surely it's more about background, upbringing, and whether you have to work for your income?

Background and upbringing is often used as 'code' for how much money soemone's parents earned when they were growing up so I think salary is a factor.

I'm middle class by definition of the work I do, ie Social Work, but it's not exactly middle-class by income definition. My parents were working class, but I went to a grammar school which fancied itself as a public school - WHSB - so I became middle class by assimilation of their 'accent and manners' (cf Paul Weller). Thing is, I've never aspired to be of that ilk and I detest snobbery and elitism wherever I sniff it.

Personally the whole class thing is a waste of time, for me it is about the person. Whether that is me or others. I do not care where you are from and where you are going to. As long as we can share a laugh, a pint and respect then that is all that matters.

At a very superficial level then yes, if you look at my income and lifestyle, I suppose I am middle class.

However at heart I'm working class, proud of it and will resist any change to that for the rest of my life. My paternal grandfather grew up in what would now be considered slums scraping together a very basic education and eventually settling in Southend. He learned a trade and provided for his family, living in rented council housing his whole life but always working and paying his way in life. That work ethic was passed on to my Dad and I like to think through to me - like most if not all of us on here nothing has been given to us, what we have we've earned and worked hard for. I therefore vote on the basis of what's best for working class people as a whole, over and above what may be best for me personally. I like to think it's staying true to who I am, not defined by money in the bank or the size of my house or car. However defined by my upbringing and values - which are staunchly working class.

So no, being middle-class isn't something to be ashamed of. However neither is being working class something to escape from like League 2 - aiming for promotion by earning more money and moving up a level to middle class. I'll be working class my whole life - and very proud of that fact.

Back