• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The other half is an assistant general manager at a large hotel at Heathrow airport. shes contracted for 40 hours a week, but to be fair she easily works 60+hours a week (being a senior manager, any additional hours above 40, is unpaid).

Anyway, due to the Coronaviris, the hotel has been quiet & shes just been told from head office in Brussels, that her "paid" 40 hours are now going to be reduced down to 35 hours, yet she will still work the 60+ hours in order to get the job done.

We could have well done with out this, especially as we have just moved home, and have all sorts of bills (legal and otherwise) stacking up that comes with moving home.

I suppose it could have been worse, I should be thankful it wasn't redundancy, the hospitality sector is really struggling right now, especially at Heathrow, as a lot of the business comes from airline crew and people staying with them before and after taking a flight.

The other half is an assistant general manager at a large hotel at Heathrow airport. shes contracted for 40 hours a week, but to be fair she easily works 60+hours a week (being a senior manager, any additional hours above 40, is unpaid).

Anyway, due to the Coronaviris, the hotel has been quiet & shes just been told from head office in Brussels, that her "paid" 40 hours are now going to be reduced down to 35 hours, yet she will still work the 60+ hours in order to get the job done.

We could have well done with out this, especially as we have just moved home, and have all sorts of bills (legal and otherwise) stacking up that comes with moving home.

I suppose it could have been worse, I should be thankful it wasn't redundancy, the hospitality sector is really struggling right now, especially at Heathrow, as a lot of the business comes from airline crew and people staying with them before and after taking a flight.
Yep feel sorry for all that work at airports, I work at STANSTED and have done for nearly 4 years, everyone is worried about jobs at the airport as staff have already been let go permanently and some are going to go on unpaid leave maybe until end of may, I personally find out tomorow if I’m made to take unpaid leave or reduced hours, STANSTED is like a ghost town at the moment, it’s just really weird seeing it like this:Scared:

Probably hard to tell if this is a genuine effort to save the business or a cynical move to save a bit of cash.

I wonder if senior management are taking a cut?

So the government have delayed the changes to IR35 for a year. My take on this:

1. It shouldn't really matter since the rules haven't changed. All that changed was that the onus was on companies to decide and the consequences of getting it wrong would fall to them. So, really changing back will (but shouldn't) make a difference.
  2. If there are no companies able to take on contractors it won't matter anyway.
  3. I reckon this might well be one of those changes that never comes back. It was small fry anyway, and companies don't like it.
  4. The whole financial services industry (I think) have changed their model and taken all their contractors in-house. That might make finding a contact a bit easier in other industries. Time will tell.
  5. I feel sorry for the project manager I'm currently working with: she has agreed to stay on, on a fixed term contract. If I were her, I would quit now! She's one of these people that never has to search for work because she has such a good reputation people continually come to her.

So the government have delayed the changes to IR35 for a year. My take on this:

1. It shouldn't really matter since the rules haven't changed. All that changed was that the onus was on companies to decide and the consequences of getting it wrong would fall to them. So, really changing back will (but shouldn't) make a difference.
  2. If there are no companies able to take on contractors it won't matter anyway.
  3. I reckon this might well be one of those changes that never comes back. It was small fry anyway, and companies don't like it.
  4. The whole financial services industry (I think) have changed their model and taken all their contractors in-house. That might make finding a contact a bit easier in other industries. Time will tell.
  5. I feel sorry for the project manager I'm currently working with: she has agreed to stay on, on a fixed term contract. If I were her, I would quit now! She's one of these people that never has to search for work because she has such a good reputation people continually come to her.

I have signed an inside IR35 contract which I am hoping will now be voided.

I am in two minds about this. A lot of IT contractors *really* take the p!ss with their use of limited companies and I firmly believe they are the people to blame for the current situation.

The more money they can net the more indispensable they think they are when in reality the vast majority are competent yet unspectacular Java, C# and Oracle devs.

Unbelievably there was a lot of outrage amongst contractors that the coronavirus outbreak had given the government an excuse to put IR35 reform on the back burner and that the lack of contractors would bring the country to its knees.

I have signed an inside IR35 contract which I am hoping will now be voided.

I am in two minds about this. A lot of IT contractors *really* take the p!ss with their use of limited companies and I firmly believe they are the people to blame for the current situation.

The more money they can net the more indispensable they think they are when in reality the vast majority are competent yet unspectacular Java, C# and Oracle devs.

Unbelievably there was a lot of outrage amongst contractors that the coronavirus outbreak had given the government an excuse to put IR35 reform on the back burner and that the lack of contractors would bring the country to its knees.

When did you sign your contract, and what is your notice period?

If I've understood you correctly, are you saying there may now not be enough contractors to fill the roles? If that is the case, then it could go one of 2 ways. It could be good for me and my day rate, but if no-one actually hires then it could be really bad.

The company I'm currently with want me to stay on an extra month until the end of April which would be good for me, but might just delay this issue for another month. I also have a couple of possibilities elsewhere so I've been stalling them saying that I'm waiting for my solicitor to double and triple check my contract. I now can't do that...and the agent has already emailed me this morning!

When did you sign your contract, and what is your notice period?

If I've understood you correctly, are you saying there may now not be enough contractors to fill the roles? If that is the case, then it could go one of 2 ways. It could be good for me and my day rate, but if no-one actually hires then it could be really bad.

The company I'm currently with want me to stay on an extra month until the end of April which would be good for me, but might just delay this issue for another month. I also have a couple of possibilities elsewhere so I've been stalling them saying that I'm waiting for my solicitor to double and triple check my contract. I now can't do that...and the agent has already emailed me this morning!

Quite the opposite. There are now going to be many contractors chasing fewer roles.

I have 2 weeks notice but am not going to walk if my contract is not moved back outside IR35 at the moment.

Quite the opposite. There are now going to be many contractors chasing fewer roles.

I have 2 weeks notice but am not going to walk if my contract is not moved back outside IR35 at the moment.

I guess we'll see how it all plays out in due course.

Not good, found out few minutes ago that staff at STANSTED airport who work for blue handling dealing with Ryanair have axed around 100 jobs today, and that’s without others that work for Stobarts and jet 2, not good and suppose to get even worse.

Sorry to hear that mate, I’m waiting for them to hit us. They’ve said no redundancies for 4 months minimum but I’m not taking that as gospel.

Keep hearing and seeing the normal rubbish on social media saying england is set for total lockdown on Friday, really ?

Keep hearing and seeing the normal rubbish on social media saying england is set for total lockdown on Friday, really ?

Well, we will be put in lockdown soon. Whether it's Friday, we shall see. It won't be total lockdown, as some people will still work, and you will be allowed out for shopping, medicines, etc.

More People dieing from economic meltdown and a collapse in services then ever would from the virus that’s is filling everyone’s pants ...
some one grow a pair and tell people the facts.. if you thought you had 12 months left plan for 6
Also flooding the markets and economy with the next generations taxes to inflate the value of the older generations assets in mental.
again Grow a pair and tell people to get on with it

That geezer in the Peloton advert "accept nothing but your best" **** off ****
Someone told me that when something annoys me, I need to think if it would still be annoying me in 20 minutes time, consciously , if not then don't waste emotion and time on it, move on and smile, not let little stuff build up..

Someone told me that when something annoys me, I need to think if it would still be annoying me in 20 minutes time, consciously , if not then don't waste emotion and time on it, move on and smile, not let little stuff build up..
The .... in the peloton advert will annoy you for hours

Back