• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know Polski Sklep quite well, we rent out flats above it at work! We're having a drive over to Southend to drop something off so will definitely try it, thanks Pauly!

Last edited:
If you are into smoked meats and sausages then a Polski Sklep or the Polish section in the supermarket are the way to go.

I also like their picked/sauerkraut style jars of salad.

I’m fortunate enough to still have a job and am working from home. ( so I’m really not complaining)
But
On the downside we are super busy so my days are longer , even minus 2 hours travel, and no walking/cycling to/from station/work means I am getting less and less fit
And all I keep hearing is about people getting fitter and getting loads of stuff done in this great weather

Neighbours burning rubbish, they had a skip delivered but are burning wood (not in the skip). Clouds of smoke at lunchtime and they must have realised and put it out but lit up again later and again about an hour ago and still going strong. Not very considerate, everyone out in their gardens earlier, windows open and nowhere to go to avoid it. No consideration for anyone that may be unwell and needing fresh air, especially during this time.

Neighbours burning rubbish, they had a skip delivered but are burning wood (not in the skip). Clouds of smoke at lunchtime and they must have realised and put it out but lit up again later and again about an hour ago and still going strong. Not very considerate, everyone out in their gardens earlier, windows open and nowhere to go to avoid it. No consideration for anyone that may be unwell and needing fresh air, especially during this time.
I guess the neighbour's have given them the benefit of the doubt and thought they were unaware they are not allowed to have a bonfire at present time! Even if they were still anti social especially during the day.

I guess the neighbour's have given them the benefit of the doubt and thought they were unaware they are not allowed to have a bonfire at present time! Even if they were still anti social especially during the day.

Are they not allowed at this time, I did wonder if that might be the case but couldn't find anything that said so.

on December 21st 2018 our dog (a paterdale terrrier) got out and went for our postman, she didn't actually bite him but had a go. a couple of days ago we received a letter from his trade unions lawfirm asking for £1000 as full and final settlement for the incident despite having no medical examination or missing work. we have taken some legal advice and it seems like if we try and fight this it will end up costing more than the offer, right now I am incredibly angry as this is the very last thing my family needed right now.

oh and the postbox is at the end of the drive so there was no need for the postman to come to the front door, the postbox is at the end of the drive because our last dog was run over and killed by the postman.

on December 21st 2018 our dog (a paterdale terrrier) got out and went for our postman, she didn't actually bite him but had a go. a couple of days ago we received a letter from his trade unions lawfirm asking for £1000 as full and final settlement for the incident despite having no medical examination or missing work. we have taken some legal advice and it seems like if we try and fight this it will end up costing more than the offer, right now I am incredibly angry as this is the very last thing my family needed right now.

oh and the postbox is at the end of the drive so there was no need for the postman to come to the front door, the postbox is at the end of the drive because our last dog was run over and killed by the postman.

Blimey, that's disgusting. The postie is obviously an opportunist. Shame it can't be settled in a small claims court. Did he try to claim from the beginning, or just now? He should have photo and medical proof of injuries, and proof of time off work. That's what would happen in a genuine claim. Obviously he hasn't got them, as it's not genuine. The other thing is the timeline. in your favour if he's only just come out with this after over 2 years. You'd win easy in a small claims court with not much expense. In normal court you would probably still win, but at a greater cost than the £1000, as you've already worked out. Unless you have a Solicitor friend or family member.

Blimey, that's disgusting. The postie is obviously an opportunist. Shame it can't be settled in a small claims court. Did he try to claim from the beginning, or just now? He should have photo and medical proof of injuries, and proof of time off work. That's what would happen in a genuine claim. Obviously he hasn't got them, as it's not genuine. The other thing is the timeline. in your favour if he's only just come out with this after over 2 years. You'd win easy in a small claims court with not much expense. In normal court you would probably still win, but at a greater cost than the £1000, as you've already worked out. Unless you have a Solicitor friend or family member.
@fbm @Yorkshire Blue or @number11 - any advice?

The claim has come through his union's lawfirm and is the first correspondence we've had from them in a year. the previous letter stated that they had attached the medical report which was missing so my reply was that I wouldn't correspond any further until they provided details of what the claim was actually for, I also questioned why the postman didn't use the postbox.

Last September they arranged a medical but sent the information to me rather than the claimant, (obviously a competent bunch), I had to do my duty and inform the ICO about a personal data breach. I'm not sure how much use a medical 10 months after something is though.

Anyway this week they sent through a part 36 offer, the problem is they sent a detailed letter stating that it is a full and final settlement but didn't actually fill any of the form out so I can't accept the offer as there are no details about what I am agreeing to and they are either incompetent and forgot to fill the form in or they want me to be naive enough to accept the offer then add their fees and any interest at a later date.

Part of me wants to just get this over with but then again I'm an engineer so i like a good argument.

The claim has come through his union's lawfirm and is the first correspondence we've had from them in a year. the previous letter stated that they had attached the medical report which was missing so my reply was that I wouldn't correspond any further until they provided details of what the claim was actually for, I also questioned why the postman didn't use the postbox.

Last September they arranged a medical but sent the information to me rather than the claimant, (obviously a competent bunch), I had to do my duty and inform the ICO about a personal data breach. I'm not sure how much use a medical 10 months after something is though.

Anyway this week they sent through a part 36 offer, the problem is they sent a detailed letter stating that it is a full and final settlement but didn't actually fill any of the form out so I can't accept the offer as there are no details about what I am agreeing to and they are either incompetent and forgot to fill the form in or they want me to be naive enough to accept the offer then add their fees and any interest at a later date.

Part of me wants to just get this over with but then again I'm an engineer so i like a good argument.
Thanks @OldBlueLady

Not my area @BriggBlue but I would suggest you had a quick chat with our dispute resolution team, no idea on costs if you fought it I'm afraid but they'll give you a free 30 minutes. PM me your email and I'll make an introduction if you would like.

The other thing is to check your house insurance (or pet insurance if you have it) as you may have free legal cover with that and they might be able to take it up for you.

Sorry to hear you are in this situation.

First thing I would do is check your various insurances (household and contents primarily but also any others you might have....) as you may have either legal expense cover you are not aware of, or even better 3rd party liability cover (ie insurance if someone is injured on your property- similar to car insurance for traffic accidents).

If you have either of these it will completely remove your headache and your insurers will take control and cover (potentially up to all) costs and damages (if any). Do this ASAP as failure to notify them could invalidate a policy that would otherwise play out.

If not then you have to be quite tactical about things because of the costs implications. Maybe let me know if you get anywhere with the above.

Generally though, if you don’t have insurance you are in a bit of a crap situation. This is because the small claims limit for a personal injury claim is less than with normal claims - (£1,000 compared to £10,000). Ie if they claim over £1,000 in damages you ALSO have to pay legal fees on top of that. If this went to trial that is likely to be a 5 figure sum (sorry but no point sugar coating it).

Now here is the kicker- if you successfully defended the claim you don’t get your costs back from the losing claimants!! So you would ‘win’ but still walk away with paying your legal bill! (If you instructed solicitors). The only way you would get your costs (other than technical reasons) is if the claimant was found to be fraudently (A high bar but if she is lying about being bitten / claiming injury whilst out on town dancing etc) a possibility.

Also- warning- a part 36 offer is a technical offer that has the effect of you agreeing a compensation amount to pay but ALSO that you will be liable for their legal costs. So if they made a part 36 Offer for say £1000 and you thought for £1000 you are willing to get this off your plate and accepted the offer - you will then ALSO be liable for their cost, cost of medical report etc. So if you ever wanted to do a deal find out what their costs are first or ask for a global figure (ie a figure for compensation plus cost).

Hope that is helpful. In summary - before you do ANYTHING else check you if you have insurance.

If you don’t then I’d suggest you get the opinion of a lawyer as to merits of claim, costs benefit analysis etc. I can recommend someone if you wish.

Good luck!

Back