• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've been buying direct from a couple of mills since I started baking my own sourdough, but I can't even get any from them. Hope levels get back to normal soon, I've just done my last 1kg bag.

I make my own bread too. Where do you normally get your flour from? How does the price compare with a supermarket? Maybe not now, but in the long run that might be really useful to me if the price is better...

As an aside, I also make my own granola for breakfast. I used to buy small packets of everything from a supermarket, then I progressed to Holland and Barrett because I can buy bigger packets. I've recently started buying in bulk on Amazon (2kg of dried Cranberries for £18 for example).

I make my own bread too. Where do you normally get your flour from? How does the price compare with a supermarket? Maybe not now, but in the long run that might be really useful to me if the price is better...

As an aside, I also make my own granola for breakfast. I used to buy small packets of everything from a supermarket, then I progressed to Holland and Barrett because I can buy bigger packets. I've recently started buying in bulk on Amazon (2kg of dried Cranberries for £18 for example).
I get mine from either Marriage's (Chelmsford) or Shipton Mill (Gloucestershire). The best value is to buy 16kg bags if you can justify that. It works out a little more expensive than a supermarket, but I always like to support a small business where I can, plus you know it's top quality produce too.

I've been buying direct from a couple of mills since I started baking my own sourdough, but I can't even get any from them. Hope levels get back to normal soon, I've just done my last 1kg bag.
just ordered a 16kg sack direct from a mill but now my order email is saying there's a delay.

16kg for £16

You can freeze flour as well, so just divide it up into some bags and seal them and stick it in the freezer.

For those bread makers interested Tesco on Prince Avenue had a well stocked shelf of Allinson'strong white and wholemeal bread flour (3 kilo bag) yesterday). Sod all yeast though.

For those bread makers interested Tesco on Prince Avenue had a well stocked shelf of Allinson'strong white and wholemeal bread flour (3 kilo bag) yesterday). Sod all yeast though.
Great news, thanks, I'll head over tomorrow. Don't need yeast, I cultivate my own strain of wild yeast!

Reactions: RHB
that's the mess I'm in, need flour for my starter and don't have any dry yeast
I've got 250g of rye, so I can keep my starter fed sparingly for a while yet. You know you can dry out your starter, stick it in a jar, and dilute it in water at a later date?

16kg for £16

You can freeze flour as well, so just divide it up into some bags and seal them and stick it in the freezer.

There's never enough room in our freezer for that. How long does flour last?

Edit: Looks like it could last months.

I've got 250g of rye, so I can keep my starter fed sparingly for a while yet. You know you can dry out your starter, stick it in a jar, and dilute it in water at a later date?
handy to know, I've been keeping it in the fridge and then feeding weekly to revive it

How on earth do you do that? (For the record, I'm seriously impressed!)
As Pubey says, flour and water, dead easy. If you want to try it;

mix 50g of water (filtered or boiled and cooled, tap water will kill the yeast) and 50g of flour in a bowl (wholegrain rye is best), cover with a cloth and leave out in the kitchen

add 50g of flour and 50g of water every day for the next 6 days

on day 7 transfer it to a permanent jar and stick it in the fridge (I use a 1.4 litre Lakeland fermentation jar with air-release valve - £10 on Amazon)

Then all you need to do is feed it with the same 50/50 mix of flour and water 8 hours before you need to bake with it. After feeding it leave it out of the fridge until you've used it, if your house is cold (as mine is) then take it out of the fridge 4 hours before feeding it. Basically, you need to put in whatever you'll be taking out - if you're baking a bread that needs 75g of starter then feed it 37g of flour and 38g of water 8 hours before you need to use it. If you go through a period when you're not baking then just feed it every 14 days at least with at least 25g of flour and 25g of water. If it starts to outgrow your jar then just discard some.

handy to know, I've been keeping it in the fridge and then feeding weekly to revive it
I've not tried drying it myself, but the best way is to spread it thinly on baking paper, put the paper on a baking tray and put it in the oven with just the light on. In a few hours it'll have completely dried, you can then flake it off into a freezer bag and it'll be fine for months.

Back