• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Work appear to have either turned off the heating or have switched the air con back on. I'm freezing. Another 6 hours of this. Might have to decamp to my car and work in their with the heating on using my laptop.

I get what you're saying and what @Sandbach Shrimper meant, it does seem more about ticking boxes these days rather than the product itself! That said, it doesn't bother me.
It's far simpler than that, it's just the family composition that research shows tends to lead to the best brand performance in adverts. That's why it's usually the same type of mixed family in every advert instead of something like a Sikh dad and Japanese wife, it's less about promoting diversity and more about maximising the advertising campaign's performance.

I remember working in an office block where the heating regularly packed up at weekends. It has now been demolished and is yet one of many crappy 60s buildings that have rightly been raised. However I remember vividly everyone at their desks in scarves and overcoats getting on with it. It was the era of typists. They all were typing away in their overcoats and gloves banging away at their typewriters.You could see

their breath in the air. Good times

People who put their Christmas lights out in November. Not helping the tacky stereotype the area has
I haven’t seen that many houses with the decs up here. Leigh old town has the tree up though..fair play I say. It’s been a miserable year.

Reactions: GBJ
I haven’t seen that many houses with the decs up here. Leigh old town has the tree up though..fair play I say. It’s been a miserable year.
Same. I’m talking about a house opposite mine.
My area is pretty un Christmassy atm aha. I was being harsh earlier saying the area is tacky I’m just frustrated with these people as they are so selfish. I don’t mind communal trees etc no problem. But people who put up those flashing lights outside their houses and leave them on all night so others can’t sleep 🤬

Same. I’m talking about a house opposite mine.
My area is pretty un Christmassy atm aha. I was being harsh earlier saying the area is tacky I’m just frustrated with these people as they are so selfish. I don’t mind communal trees etc no problem. But people who put up those flashing lights outside their houses and leave them on all night so others can’t sleep 🤬
Yeah agree with you there!

I saw a woman in a terrible state with her face covered in blood in Southend High Street this morning whilst on my way to the gym. She was very obviously the worse for wear due to drink/drugs an unable to look after herself.

A man kept trying to drag her to her feet and I was unsure if he was trying to help or coerce her so decided to phone the police. Luckily they turned up in about three minutes and hopefully the woman is getting some help but I doubt this will be the last instance they are called to in the High Street today.

I went for a walk yesterday lunchtime and came across a man walking a smallish dog. At one point he and the dog went different ways round a lamppost and got stuck. Instead of just going back a step and passing the lead around the lamppost the man pulled hard and forced the dog to come round, thus hitting its head.

It’s a word. You can’t call it ugly. How you define it is up to you.
It's certianly not on Babbel's list of nine words that we can all agree are ugly https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/ugly-words-in-english

but I'd imagine we could agree that what it stands for is certainly ugly ,however you choose to define it.

Without getting too semantic I'm sure you'll remember this;- “When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less." Alice in Wonderland.

Last edited:
It's certianly not on Babbel's list of nine words that we can all agree are ugly https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/ugly-words-in-english

but I'd imagine we could agree that what it stands for is certainly ugly ,however you choose to define it.

Without getting too semantic I'm sure you'll remember this;- “When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less." Alice in Wonderland.

Who or what is Babbel? Have you just googled "ugly words"? I can't agree any of those are ugly.

ps Lewis Carroll was also dodgy when it came to young girls.

So Lewis Carroll was a suspected nonce? He had an infatuation with the Liddell sisters, including taking photo's of Lorina in the nude.
As for the Babbel list of ugly words. Nonce or any sexual or prison slang words don't appear. Here are his 9 words. Moist, Phlegm, Crepuscular, Ointment, Pulchritude, Fecund, Puce, Unctuous, Amazeballs.
That list looks like it's made by someone bonkers, as most of those words aren't offensive. We could all do a better list of offensive words.
Yet Nonce is in most English dictionaries.
Tangled, you come out with some strange stuff. I sometimes don't know if it's just to get a reaction, or you really believe in this stuff.
Also, I've not seen nonce mentioned on here this week. What thread was it on to bring out your response?

So Lewis Carroll was a suspected nonce? He had an infatuation with the Liddell sisters, including taking photo's of Lorina in the nude.
As for the Babbel list of ugly words. Nonce or any sexual or prison slang words don't appear. Here are his 9 words. Moist, Phlegm, Crepuscular, Ointment, Pulchritude, Fecund, Puce, Unctuous, Amazeballs.
That list looks like it's made by someone bonkers, as most of those words aren't offensive. We could all do a better list of offensive words.
Yet Nonce is in most English dictionaries.
Tangled, you come out with some strange stuff. I sometimes don't know if it's just to get a reaction, or you really believe in this stuff.

1.Also, I've not seen nonce mentioned on here this week. What thread was it on to bring out your response?

!.Naps can asnwer that for you if he wants.It was his post from yesterday that I was referring to ,not yours.

Back