• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is the current injury situation?

Wabo is 20 years old and has already played three times for our first team. At Northampton he looked to be our best player, believe me.
Not sure how him being older than a teenager and still being unable to make an impact in non-league is somehow an argument in favour of playing him. Looking decent in a 10 minute cameo a year ago doesn’t mean he should be starting now. Jason Williams looked decent in a couple of his 10 minute appearances, shall we bring him back and start him as well?

Both clubs he was on loan admitted they didn't use him in a way that brought out the best in him. Maidstone, particularly.

Some players are better playing at a better level. My gut feeling is that he is one of them.

Are we cursed? No one seems to get injured with a 'groin strain' or 'pulled hamstring' it's broken bones, torn ligaments and months out. Even Yearwood's 'hamstring problem' last game last season turned into months on the sideline and who even knows what's wrong with Kiernan.
We might need a whole team in the january transfer window at this rate.

Both clubs he was on loan admitted they didn't use him in a way that brought out the best in him. Maidstone, particularly.

Some players are better playing at a better level. My gut feeling is that he is one of them.

Have you seen him play at all? Not a fleeting sub appearance a year ago...but a whole game

Not sure how him being older than a teenager and still being unable to make an impact in non-league is somehow an argument in favour of playing him. Looking decent in a 10 minute cameo a year ago doesn’t mean he should be starting now. Jason Williams looked decent in a couple of his 10 minute appearances, shall we bring him back and start him as well?
I must have missed that...

The JW I saw couldn’t hit a cows @rse with a tinny-sounding stringed instrument

No not yet, but we are supposed to hear about it at some stage today.

In other news, Ted Smith and Luke Hyam must be close to returning, as they will both feature in the U23's against Luton this afternoon.

TED Smith and Luke Hyam will both be back in action for Southend United’s under-23 team at Luton Town this afternoon.

More...

Surely it would make financial sense to come to an agreement with Kiernan and rip up his contract? He is never likely to play for us (or probably anyone else) again and it is said is on biggish money. A very bad piece of business.

Doing his own pre season now, on his way back I would expect within the next month or two

I can't see why you have such a problem over giving this one particular member of our squad a game? Where's the harm when we're in such a sorry state? He was on for 20 minutes at Northampton, by the way, and I'd like to see him given half an hour against Barnsley. Why does that seem to irritate you so much?

I definitely think there's a case for playing him against Saints U23 and maybe even in the FA Cup.

Difficult one, but we won't find anything too much out about him sitting on the bench.

Don’t see the need to panic just yet. Of course it’s horror of a season for long term injuries. Just when CP had started to earn his money with availabilty dilemmas and us zoners could finally have selection arguments, We have 3 in 5 days and some without contact.

We had already brought in Moore for Lennon and Bunn for Barrett. Coker would be most peoples first choice at LB but who knows with a clear run in the team let’s hope Hendrie can find some of that form we witnessed when he first come on loan. At his best he is better than Coker, so let’s keep fingers crosssd.

Our midfield is better than last year, we just need the wide lads to find some form.

Hopper is the big blow because not only has he settled in nicely, he was also finding the back of the net. No reason why someone can’t step up, like Theo did earlier this year. If no one does at least we get a second chance in January. Offer a proven Championship number 9 at least 20 games in the second half. With that deal on the table a club may well let’s us have someone we could not normally afford.....Similar happens with keepers as they are guaranteed a start.

Failing that we could all just relax, accept it’s not our year and look to find the next Dru from amongst our own..... Would that be such a shame ?

Wish they could be more accurate than "extended period"... that meant double math's when i was at school.

Anyone with more knowledge about this type of injury would like to hazard a guess (obviously it's untill the end of the season)..But shouldn't be career ending, so to speak.

Shame, he will sorely be missed. Lets just hope Hendrie can produce some decent performances at LB in his absense.

Last edited:
Talking to a shrimper (Herman)who was in that stand where Ben sustained his injury. He said you actually heard a crack as it happened. Which is why their player reacts immediately and signals for our physio.

We will be lucky to see BC or TH for pre season next year.

Now Coker’s season is finished, wonder if he’ll be tempted to accept another contract offer, as his runs out this year and he has previously rejected an offer earlier this year

SOUTHEND United defender Ben Coker is facing an extended spell on the sidelines after rupturing two knee ligaments against Sunderland on Saturday.

More...

Back