• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
Before anyone says it, this is not a response to the thread about Stoke today, where SBH has had a bit of a personal pop at me. :rolleyes::cry:

Has anyone else noticed that in the last few months, the feeling on SZ has changed? The board used to be full of genuinely interesting debate, from what I considered to be mostly very knowledgeable football people. Even during posts with conflicting views, there was always a respect of opinion.

I cannot put my finger on what has changed? Maybe our higher status has attracted a wider fanbase to SZ (can the mods confirm the figures?) or maybe after 2 years of success, just our general position has people more agnsty?

I consider myself to be quite knowledgeable about football, I've been supporting Southend for over 20 years, understand the deeper tactical side and know alot about players from all divisions (but apparantly that just gets tagged with the new buzz phrase of 'Championship Manager player' - which is total nonsense) and I love nothing more than a good football debate, which seems not to be the case on SZ any more.

Risk posting a message analyzing team problems and 'my god thats a personal attack on Sir Steve'. Highlight a fault in a player and you are not a true supporter, make a suggestion about an available player and you are being 'totally unrealistic, we could never afford Peter Smith from non-league Chesham! What ARE YOU THINKING!?'...

Its all gone a bit silly!

Once again, just to re-iterate, this is NOT in direct response to my posts only, but responses I have read to other peoples posts too.

I know of at few people that used to post on here and enjoy SZ, but avoid it now because they 'cannot be bothered'...

Anyone else feeling the same?

What a good post pboreham, i have been a member of this site for over two years and read many a descent football debate under my other guise of dalboy74, i admit i am put off slightly from posting regularly about the club i adore more than anything in the world because certain people will jump on the spelling, or grammer, or just that like you stated their glasses are so rose tinted they can never imagine tilly and brush might actually once in a while get things wrong which we as fans are intilted to discuse on an open football forum

I can't believe you think that about me ! I read between the lines at that was an attack at any members joined in the last 10 years. Just because you watched southend for 20 years does not mean you no more about there history then someone who has supported them one day. Why you complaning !

Sorry couldn't help it!

I agree that recently the quality of posts have gone down, and anything you say may get taken as an personal insult to steve or the players. Bring back freedom of opinion and then get respected for it !

I can't believe you think that about me ! I read between the lines at that was an attack at any members joined in the last 10 years. Just because you watched southend for 20 years does not mean you no more about there history then someone who has supported them one day. Why you complaning !

Sorry couldn't help it!

I agree that recently the quality of posts have gone down, and anything you say may get taken as an personal insult to steve or the players. Bring back freedom of opinion and then get respected for it !

You nearly reeled me in! :D

I always checked out shrimperzone for years and only joined up last year the one thing i noticed was the NEGATIVITY on this board, in fact i cant be bothered when loads of people are moaning. Cant stand it i thirty years old and always had people belittling the team i love with a passion, then you come online to talk to other SUFC supporters and **** me they are also having a go, i wont have it unless it is warrented, colin murphy for example was a complete t*** and deserved all abuse thrown at him, not having go at you or your views everyone entitled to one but i will always defend tilly he best thing to happen to the club since david webb and should be held in such a way.

What a good post pboreham, i have been a member of this site for over two years and read many a descent football debate under my other guise of dalboy74, i admit i am put off slightly from posting regularly about the club i adore more than anything in the world because certain people will jump on the spelling, or grammer, or just that like you stated their glasses are so rose tinted they can never imagine tilly and brush might actually once in a while get things wrong which we as fans are intilted to discuse on an open football forum

Think thats why we've seen a decline of quality posts (and posters). People like Xabia Shrimper and Matt The Shrimp etc - anyone that seems to have a bit of logic in there sentiments have been shot down and I agree, its more effort to post now than its ever been.

Whats the Yahoo email list like nowdays? Not been signed up to that for about 3-4 years.

I always checked out shrimperzone for years and only joined up last year the one thing i noticed was the NEGATIVITY on this board, in fact i cant be bothered when loads of people are moaning. Cant stand it i thirty years old and always had people belittling the team i love with a passion, then you come online to talk to other SUFC supporters and **** me they are also having a go, i wont have it unless it is warrented, colin murphy for example was a complete t*** and deserved all abuse thrown at him, not having go at you or your views everyone entitled to one but i will always defend tilly he best thing to happen to the club since david webb and should be held in such a way.

And I think you've just summed up one of the possible problems with SZ of the last couple of years. Tilly has become un-questionable by the majority of SZ...

There's a very simple answer to this. B*gger off to rivals.net. If people have opposing views to your own you don't have to agree with them or take umbrage. Just move on or move out.

Sorry if that seems a bit harsh but being different is what makes debate (and people) so wonderful.

The fact that "so many" arguments aren't as good as they were in the "good old days" can be attributed to the fact that this board now has had a massive influx of new and (mainly) young supporters due to the recent successes on the field. Rather than the same 20 or so people having a debate there are typically 50-60 people on here assuming nothing special is happening in the big wide world.

I think the board is much improved for it.

There's a very simple answer to this. B*gger off to rivals.net. If people have opposing views to your own you don't have to agree with them or take umbrage. Just move on or move out.

Sorry if that seems a bit harsh but being different is what makes debate (and people) so wonderful.

The fact that "so many" arguments aren't as good as they were in the "good old days" can be attributed to the fact that this board now has had a massive influx of new and (mainly) young supporters due to the recent successes on the field. Rather than the same 20 or so people having a debate there are typically 50-60 people on here assuming nothing special is happening in the big wide world.

I think the board is much improved for it.

The point was I've no problem with opposing views - as long as they are backed up with decent argument.

You think the board is 'much improved' the way it is now? As I said, for me, most of the best posters have probably done what you suggested and buggered off.

I have to agree, unfortunately.

I've not been around as long as you've been supporting southend, but I've been supporting them the last couple of years. I found this forum about a month back, not sure how long ago I joined though. When I came here, the forum was a great place to come to, there was constructive debates about a variety of subjects, but all I seem to see now is people having a pop at him, her or them. I don't mind people having debates about people, but just saying they are %"£& and not debating why is really starting to bring the mood of the forum down. I've seen more and more people being rude and it's not been the fun place it once used to be.

I've noticed this has started coming in around the transfer period. People have been saying this and that, and it all seems to stem from the transfer period. What is stevie doing selling x, x and x and only brining in y? Why arn't we bringing in quality, cos other teams seem to be? Etc etc...I'm sure stevie knows what he is doing. He's done a better job that what anyone on here could have done. If you think hes doing a bad job, I would like to see you do a better job. I'm sure you couldn't get back-to-back promotions, including league 1 champions ~ on such a tight budget. Sure, maybe he has made some bad decisions, but I'm sure he knows what he is doing. He's bound to have links to people and contacts and I'm sure he can get people in on loan if needed.

What this football team needs, is a strong fan base getting behind the Stadium, Team and The Management. Sure, we don't all agree on every decision made, why should we? But what we should do is just get on with the decisions. We can't change what he already been done, so we have to move on with what we have done and just get behind the team. This isn't having a pop at the fans which are loyal, or not even the ones that aren't so loyal, I'm just stating that we need to get behind the team, or othewise we might as well accept relegation now. Why accept relegation when we have a new stadium coming in a couple of years?

Come on guys, lets not forget about everything we have achieved over the last 3 years. 10 years ago we were near extintion, now we're fighting for our right in the championship. We've got the potential to stay in the league so lets get behind the team and do the business. :finger:

Before long, we will come on and find no new posts to read? Is that what we all really want? I joined beccause this was an exciting place, where I could come and debate things related with SUFC, but now I come on in a good mood, and leave in a bad mood. That could just be me, but I think I'm with the majority at the moment...

</end of my load of waffle.> ;)

I think the main thing is the constant picking up of spelling or grammer errors, as being a high school student i can't spell every word correctly, therefore sometimes have the feeling i should not post as i can't spell !

I always welcome debate and i certainly dont believe tilson to be unquestionable, the injury to hammell today has really highlighted the small squad issue, lets hope for a loan signing this week, but if you post on here some people are gonna agree some will disagree is that not the point

I have to agree. It seems that Tilson is untouchable at the moment and the moment one suggests that maybe he is out of his depth in the division, one is pounced upon from a great height. I'll all for freedom of speech and the right to express opinion but to be told that one is a "****ing idiot" for expressing an opinion contrary to another poster makes the whole thing more of a chore than a pleasure. It's not debate ...

Last edited:
but to be told that one is a "****ing idiot" for expressing an opinion contrary to another poster makes the whole thing more of a chore than a pleasure.

On this point you have my wholehearted agreement. (you f***ing idiot :angel: ) Repeated personal attacks like these have no place in here though there are occasions where the odd, one-off pop is warranted.

I think the main thing is the constant picking up of spelling or grammer errors, as being a high school student i can't spell every word correctly, therefore sometimes have the feeling i should not post as i can't spell !

JCR just for future reference it is spelt grammar ! :D

I think that the problem's often not the arguments themselves, but the ad hominem that so often accompanies them. Is it really necessary to inform someone that they have rose tinted specs, or that if they're not going to back the manager they might as well sod off?

I'm firmly in the pro-Tilson camp, but the way to defeat the sceptics isn't to tell them that they're wrong to post. It's to hammer home the point that in our 100 year history only Dave Webb has had a comparable level of success and we'd be crazy to step back onto the management carousel just because, shock of all shocks, the third smallest club in the division are fighting a relegation battle.

I think that the problem's often not the arguments themselves, but the ad hominem that so often accompanies them. Is it really necessary to inform someone that they have rose tinted specs, or that if they're not going to back the manager they might as well sod off?

I'm firmly in the pro-Tilson camp, but the way to defeat the sceptics isn't to tell them that they're wrong to post. It's to hammer home the point that in our 100 year history only Dave Webb has had a comparable level of success and we'd be crazy to step back onto the management carousel just because, shock of all shocks, the third smallest club in the division are fighting a relegation battle.

Maybe also to bear in mind, that just because somebody questions a decision by Tilson, his tactics, team selection etc etc, does not mean that they are calling for a change.

I bet Liverpool fans questioned Shankleys team selection from time to time, some Man Utd fans have turned on Fergie at times during his tenre - its just one of the priveleges of being a football supporter!

So next time someone questions 'Sir Stevie of Tilsons' tactics, dont jump on their heads quoting about how great we are and how well he's done etc etc - unless someone specifically calls for Tilly's head!

On this point you have my wholehearted agreement. (you f***ing idiot :angel: ) Repeated personal attacks like these have no place in here though there are occasions where the odd, one-off pop is warranted.

JCR just for future reference it is spelt grammar ! :D

I knew someone would bite :thump:

Back