• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question When would you want Tilly sacked?

When would you want Tilly fired?

• Now.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Failure to gain promotion in

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Bottom half in

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Relegation into L2

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Failure to get promoted in L2

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Bottom half in L2

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Relegation dogfight in L2

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Relegation in L2

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • No longer Football League

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters
I would at least give one chance to get us back up!

I would as well, maybe two.

People do forget that he has only been a League manager since 2004.... He is still learning.

When you think at some of the dross Fergie has signed for Man United over the years with his experience, it's no suprise that not every signing has worked perfectly.

There is very little point in repeatedly changing manager, you only have to look back to the merry go round in our own history to see that.

hhmm the way I look at it is what ever tillies doing with southend , then any new manager coming in wont be able to match that, till is southend through and through loves the club, the people, the fact that he is known and reslected in the area, settled in the area I really dont see anyone else coming in and doing a better job, on the wage he is on, and the BUDGET he has to work with. Listen the pickle we are in the downward spirral we seem to be falling in has NOTHING to do with our manager, its more than that unfortunately

We need to embrace our new found reputation as supposed seasoned campaigners in League 1, and attract better players and yet more fans to kick on and try and establish ourselves in the Championship when FF comes around.

Reputation for what exactly ? One season of promotion and one when we managed 6th. Thats not much recent history at this level to be fair and just because we got promoted once doesnt mean we should be pushing for it every year.

The simplistic way I look at it is by size of club, we are currently 5th in attendances so thats an indication of where we should be aiming. Obviously other clubs with smaller attendances have more finances than we do but its a decent enough guide.

Last edited:
Dave...you know I respect your views mate, but I have to say, I have always been at a loss to justify people using the card that we don't truly have a right to be a decent L1 side.
I agree that when he took over, the bar was raised, but in life, in business, and most certainly in top class professional sport, the only way you can move on is to raise the bar, keep it raised and improve upon that. I cannot condone staying with a manager through pure emotion even if we were struggling back down in L2. Relegation would undo all of the good PR work the club have done to pull floating premier league fans away from their television sets on a Sunday/Wednesday (whenever the Premiership is on these days!) and would set the club back YEARS. It would be hugely damaging...make no bones about that.

We need to embrace our new found reputation as supposed seasoned campaigners in League 1, and attract better players and yet more fans to kick on and try and establish ourselves in the Championship when FF comes around.

I hate the word consolidate, and I hate the word relegation even more. We need to aspire to keep raising the bar, keep attracting more locals to support their local team, and keep raising our profile to enable us to attract better players.

Rant over.

Sorry mate dont think I made myself clear.

I dont think we should settle as a poor L1 or decent L2 side. I was only really trying to say that I think Tilson has raised the bar and then kept us there at a new higher level and therefore I would not want him out unless we really dropped to a low.

hhmm the way I look at it is what ever tillies doing with southend , then any new manager coming in wont be able to match that, till is southend through and through loves the club, the people, the fact that he is known and reslected in the area, settled in the area I really dont see anyone else coming in and doing a better job, on the wage he is on, and the BUDGET he has to work with. Listen the pickle we are in the downward spirral we seem to be falling in has NOTHING to do with our manager, its more than that unfortunately

I agree. Tilly is Southend through and through and whilst I'm sure he'd move on if a big job came along anyone who we would get in to replace him would be a career manager using the Club as a stepping stone. If they do well they move on to a bigger club and if they do badly we sack them. Either way we lose.

There was a revolving door on the Manager's office at Roots Hall for years and all it did was send us down. I find it astounding that anyone would want to go back to those days. I may be wrong but it always strikes me when this topic comes up that people want to punish Tilson for a few results not going our way rather than look at the bigger picture of what is for the best for the Club.

Failure to get promoted in L2

We know he is capable of winning that league. So if we was in relegation in L1 and he were to get the chop and we ended up getting relegated, a different manager may end up getting us into disaster!

totally agree with that. I voted for if we are in threat of getting relegated out of the league into non league. but i cant see that happening, hopefully.

Personally Id hate to see Tilson go but for me if we were to get relegated (and I on no account think we will) then Id have to wonder whether it was time.

We shouldnt be relegated from this division with our squad.

However getting someone better in would be pretty much impossible, especially as in that scenario we would be in the bottom division.

As Beefy points out these threads only come up when we have a purple patch....

Last edited:
Other - never.

My reasoning is simple. The evidence is out there and easily absorbed. Teams which have done consistently well/overachieved for sustained periods have tended to keep the same, talented manager. Dario Gradi at Crewe. Alex Ferguson at Man U. Arsene Wenger at Arsenal. Brian Clough at Forest. Alan Curbishley at Charlton. It's no coincidence that a period of relative overachievement for Southend has come at the same time as Tilly has joined that list of long-serving managers.

Chopping and changing when you don't achieve this arbitrary target or that one will probably take you nowhere in the long run.

Regardless of anything else, Tilly is far too honourable a person to wait to be sacked, he would resign well before it came to that.

I would never want him fired, I don't think anyone really does, but lose the next three and I think he could be out, that will read played 10, lost 8,won 1 including cup matches,and it is difficult to justify retaining anyone on that form, perceived legend or not. That is going to be a big shame. Leyton Orient at home is going to be a potential match of the season.

I don't think it will come to that, but reach that stage and it's a releagation fight no matter how good the squad looks on paper. I think we have been unlucky, but legend or not, it is all about points on the board as League 2 is not a pretty option given the current financial environment. Saturday's attendance is going to be intersting, no significant away support, could it be between 6,000 and 7,000. Things like that are going to all help Ron make his decisions.

Personally, I hope it's a happy ending.

Jeez, you go on holiday for a week and the world collapses, apparently.

I voted OTHER. Get a grip. This poll shouldn't even exist, get behind our team, and our manager. Does your life go 100% well all them time? I'm betting not. So why expect football to be any different.

Jeez, you go on holiday for a week and the world collapses, apparently.

I voted OTHER. Get a grip. This poll shouldn't even exist, get behind our team, and our manager. Does your life go 100% well all them time? I'm betting not. So why expect football to be any different.

Football is a business, despite the emotional attachment many of us have with the club. If a situation occurs where crowds go from around 8,000 to 5,000 few businesses would refrain from making changes when they have lost almost 40% of its customers, that is also life.

I cant believe this thread

Ok so we have lost a few games on the bounce – but overall over the seasons Tilly has been here he’s done a wonderful job.

He really looks ****ed off after a defeat and to me it shows he cares about the club.

We have lost a few games but things will change around – overall we are playing some good football in stages we just need to be consistent.

So for me Tilly to stay or until he decides to leave to go to a bigger club.

just my two pences worth for whats it worth.

I cant believe this thread

Ok so we have lost a few games on the bounce – but overall over the seasons Tilly has been here he’s done a wonderful job.

He really looks ****ed off after a defeat and to me it shows he cares about the club.

We have lost a few games but things will change around – overall we are playing some good football in stages we just need to be consistent.

So for me Tilly to stay or until he decides to leave to go to a bigger club.

just my two pences worth for whats it worth.

Welcome to the board, and you're absolutely right. I voted for "if we were relegated to L2" but I really don't think it would come to that, he'd resign first.

It's astonishing that people are voting for 'now'. What the **** do you have to do to earn a bit of patience and trust in football these days?

We were circling the drain when Tilson took over. Since then we've been to two cup finals, we've been promoted twice, we've beaten Manchester United and we've made the play-offs. Never mind Curbishley, you could bring in Arsene Wenger and he wouldn't be able to match that record.

Tilson is a proven manager, he plays decent football and he's Southend through and through. I challenge anyone to find me a serious candidate who out-performs him on those three fronts. I won't hold my breath.

Back