• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question When would you want Tilly sacked?

When would you want Tilly fired?

• Now.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Failure to gain promotion in

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Bottom half in

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Relegation into L2

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Failure to get promoted in L2

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Bottom half in L2

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Relegation dogfight in L2

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Relegation in L2

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • No longer Football League

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters
If we finish anywhere below... say... 14th this season.

Because with the players we have, we should be higher than that. And I have absolute faith that we will be. But yeah. It's not like he hasn't moulded the squad either, they're all his players.

Isn't this a bit of an oxymoron? He should do well because of the players......who he's brought in? You're saying his transfer policy should be used as a rod for his own back?

I'd say this is at least half of management and should work in his favour not against him.

I think barring mitigating circumstances, if he finished bottom half of League 2 then something must have gone badly wrong in his management. At the same time, who would you appoint? Someone with a record of back to back promotions from League Two to the Championship? He will be much more experiecned by that point and there really wouldn't be many better qualified candidates around if any.

The thing is,we're bloody lucky to still have Tilly and Brush here.
Put yourself in his shoes...

Right,we're languashing at the foot of League 2,we're raking in awful crowds and we've never been a "fashionable" club to say the least! There is no youth team and you will have to do away with the reserves soon.We're millions in debt,close to folding and the stadium is decaying.

Imagine if Tilly could see the future,he'd reply along these lines...

Well even though i've got no experience i can tell you that Southend will stay up this season,but that's not all,i'm going to get us to a cup final! After that i'm gonna get you to another cup final then get us into a play-off final and win it!!
.............then i'm gonna get us promoted again,straight into the Championship using roughly the same set of players,whereby we may well struggle admittedly,but we're gonna stick Man Utd out of the cup! Oh and make Spurs wait 'till the dying minutes of extra-time to put us out of the cup after that but admittedly,we are playing at WHL!
.....after that we are gonna end back in League 1 but don't worry about everyone's head dropping 'cos we're gonna reach the play-offs!
Oh,and i won't spend a bean of the club's money that you don't think i ought to Mr Martin!!

Guys,it's a fairytale come true.Right?

Please don't let me read that Tilly has gotta finish above 14th in the league.....'cos staying up will be over-achieving considering the budget that Tilly works with.

FACT....Tilly was heard saying just 3wks or so ago that he's going nowhere as he's got "unfinished business" at Southend United.

Well i say thank gawd for that! Mr Tilson & Mr Brush,here are your keys to the city....enjoy!!

Last edited:
The small minority who want him to go now should remember that Tilly & Brush are under contract until 2010 and to sack them the club would have to pay them a huge amount of compensation. Money the club doesn't have right now and for what to get rid of the greatest manager in the clubs history and to bring Who? Whos out there could do the job Tilson has done on the budget he has had over th ast 5 years.

It's astonishing that people are voting for 'now'. What the **** do you have to do to earn a bit of patience and trust in football these days?

We were circling the drain when Tilson took over. Since then we've been to two cup finals, we've been promoted twice, we've beaten Manchester United and we've made the play-offs. Never mind Curbishley, you could bring in Arsene Wenger and he wouldn't be able to match that record.

Tilson is a proven manager, he plays decent football and he's Southend through and through. I challenge anyone to find me a serious candidate who out-performs him on those three fronts. I won't hold my breath.

Agree and Tilly was if memory serves, given a chance at a difficult period in his life [parallels with the club] so hopefully an unbreakable bond will continue to subsist for long into the future.

Personally I would hate to go throw the managerial merry go around we used to have. One disaster to the next until Tilson took the reigns.

I reckon even if we got relegated from League 1 the majority of fans would support him still (I would). I reckon only if a relegation dog fight in League 2 would do it. but think we would jump before that.

Back