• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oxley, Smith, Demetriou, White, Sokilik, The lad from Palace, Thompson, Barrett, Ferdinand, Coker, McGlashan, Leonard, Timlin, Wordsworth, The lad from Swansea, Atkinson, McLaughlin, Ranger, Cox, Mooney, O'Neill.

We have a 21 man squad for crying out loud, and the chances are I've forgotten someone too. That's even BEFORE you start naming kids like Bridge and the centre half that scored this week, who arguably should be squad members or what chance do they stand of breaking through. If I was Bridge, I'd be gutted that I was number 22 or 23 when I should be 16 or 17.

People who are criticizing the chairman for not backing the manager need to reign it in - this squad is as fat as any we've had recently. If I was the chairman I'd tell him to shed 5 at Christmas and add 5 from the u21s.

The squad is also perfectly good enough to compete in this division - it's all down to coaching now. The management team need to come up with a system and a formation that makes the most of what we've got. There are UMPTEEN examples of teams in recent seasons with far fewer resources than us who have played to their maximum potential and overachieved - that's what we need to do.

My concern is that there's so many players here he'll never find what his best team or formation is. Far too much potential for PB to fiddle around with players and systems when we get an iffy result, and make 5 changes which doesn't help anyone. Especially when he'll have 10 players in his ear complaining they aren't in the XI.

We have enough quality and enough / too many players. The coaching staff need to turn it into points.

I'm sure you do. Otherwise you wouldn't spout the same nonsense on every thread.

Not half as much as you spout. Your continuous support of the orange idiot in the face of what's been going on is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we please stick to the thread. You should be blaming someone because we haven't had enough of that in the last month. Do not say anything positive.

If you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes just make something up but as general rule you can't go wrong if every thing is PB's fault.

All you ever do is argue with people, who do you blame for our shortcomings?

Yes, let us blame someone. Anyone. Let's drag them out into the street and whilst bereft of any facts scream at them in the hope it they will go away and we can replace them with someone else we can blame next time.

Tell you who I blame. I blame places like this. The instant ability to share news and opinions, and the on-going never ending confusion between the two. We didn't have this 20 years ago. We'd pick up the Echo to see if we signed anyone. That's when we found out. No 45 pages internet threads on someone who we might be looking at, but might not be. Today we have constant rumours that we are talking to certain players. We know from recent activity here that some of this is made up. Names are thrown in for no reason. We have the press picking up whatever snippets and soundbites there are to weave a story, and we just run with them. You know, they need to make a living too and frankly aren't that bothered how close to the truth their story is. They will move onto the next one next week.

The absolute reality check is that we are small club with very limited finances and as a result aren't able to offer wedges of cash to clubs and players to come here (where we can blame them for not scoring enough goals, not marking their number 9 at a corner, misplacing a pass in the 52nd minute). I know this comes a shock to some of you. We are Southend United, but CANNOT do what we want. It doesn't work like that.

So, we've signed nine (?) new players since the end of last season. I am sure if Ferdinand has signed yesterday and not Saturday, most of you would have been far more positive about events.

Yeah, you know, we need a striker coz we haven't got enough fit ones, and the ones we have don't work with this system. But if you are only able to get someone who isn't good because we've got to satiate the need for a new signing from a bunch of keyboard warriors and vocal numbskulls, then that's pointless. So I'd rather be where we are, rather than having signed Billy Nogood.

So who do we blame. How about taking a look at ourselves? I wonder how the team will feel on Saturday, having read some of the stuff on here, knowing that a lump of our supporters have already decried them as not being good enough. Myself included after Saturday.

Why? We are the ones who support the club. Who pay the money for season tickets, match day tickets, merchandise, shirts etc. People travel miles and spend thousands of pounds a year to watch the shower of **** that has been put on show recently. The way they have been playing recently and the constant media bull from PB has caused us to be like this. Yes you're right it never used to be like that. But before social media people lived a normal life and didn't have to post what they had for dinner on Facebook. Times change and unfortunately this is the way it has gone.

Do you think we are alone? I can tell you, we are not. There are plenty of other clubs who on their forums will be moaning about their lack of activity on the final day and not getting their targets. Problem with us is we have a manager who loves the media and feeds them with a load of rubbish that he thinks will make us happy but backfires.

To say that we need to look at ourselves is a ridiculous thing to say. We've had to put up with a torrid time, **** football, poor formations, poor substitutions and not strengthen in areas where it is obvious we have an issue. That isn't our fault, we don't sign the players or pick the team. We are the ones who help keep this club a float!

I honestly think our squad is good enough to compete. We just need to get the system right. I'd have been happy with a defensive midfielder a centre back and a striker yesterday. We got one in Innes, will probably get the second in Robinson, so two out of three ain't bad. Get Ferdinand, Ranger, Timlin and Wordsworth fit and I reckon we will be alright. I can't see that group of players being drawn into a relegation dogfight for too long once everything's settled down.

Yes, let us blame someone. Anyone. Let's drag them out into the street and whilst bereft of any facts scream at them in the hope it they will go away and we can replace them with someone else we can blame next time.

Tell you who I blame. I blame places like this. The instant ability to share news and opinions, and the on-going never ending confusion between the two. We didn't have this 20 years ago. We'd pick up the Echo to see if we signed anyone. That's when we found out. No 45 pages internet threads on someone who we might be looking at, but might not be. Today we have constant rumours that we are talking to certain players. We know from recent activity here that some of this is made up. Names are thrown in for no reason. We have the press picking up whatever snippets and soundbites there are to weave a story, and we just run with them. You know, they need to make a living too and frankly aren't that bothered how close to the truth their story is. They will move onto the next one next week.

The absolute reality check is that we are small club with very limited finances and as a result aren't able to offer wedges of cash to clubs and players to come here (where we can blame them for not scoring enough goals, not marking their number 9 at a corner, misplacing a pass in the 52nd minute). I know this comes a shock to some of you. We are Southend United, but CANNOT do what we want. It doesn't work like that.

So, we've signed nine (?) new players since the end of last season. I am sure if Ferdinand has signed yesterday and not Saturday, most of you would have been far more positive about events.

Yeah, you know, we need a striker coz we haven't got enough fit ones, and the ones we have don't work with this system. But if you are only able to get someone who isn't good because we've got to satiate the need for a new signing from a bunch of keyboard warriors and vocal numbskulls, then that's pointless. So I'd rather be where we are, rather than having signed Billy Nogood.

So who do we blame. How about taking a look at ourselves? I wonder how the team will feel on Saturday, having read some of the stuff on here, knowing that a lump of our supporters have already decried them as not being good enough. Myself included after Saturday.

This is the best post I've read in 15 years on Shrimperzone. Bravo sir.

Brown openly said himself to not judge him this season until the end of the transfer window and he had finished building his squad. Since that quote we have signed one central defender on loan when we had 4 anyway and another defender that can cover there. If he's a good signing then I will respect that. However el Tango in his usual press nonsense said we needed at least another 3 or 4 to compete this season otherwise we will be in trouble and in for a long hard season. We can't score for toffee, have no attacking intent and the only player we bring in is a defender. I am sorry but Brown brought this onto himself with his comments!

If management said at the start of the season it's going to be a tough year as we lost our two best players or even we want to consolidate this year and firstly rectify the poor form from the second half of last season and this season started as it has followed by the failure in the market, I wouldn't be half annoyed as I am now because we've been warned it's expected, if we do better then everyone is happy.

But...

The fact our manager is saying in the press 'we want to be a championship club' 'judge us after the window shuts' just completely frustrates me. The bloke works with these players every day surely he can see they aren't going anywhere near the top of the league. He is either completely deluded or simply just winding us up.

Warning!! OLDER PERSON POST

It's not Social Media's fault we didn't sign anyone. If we couldn't talk online about the lack of signings people would still be moaning in the stands come the weekend.

Brown openly said himself to not judge him this season until the end of the transfer window and he had finished building his squad. Since that quote we have signed one central defender on loan when we had 4 anyway and another defender that can cover there. If he's a good signing then I will respect that. However el Tango in his usual press nonsense said we needed at least another 3 or 4 to compete this season otherwise we will be in trouble and in for a long hard season. We can't score for toffee, have no attacking intent and the only player we bring in is a defender. I am sorry but Brown brought this onto himself with his comments!

We had plenty of attacking intent even last Saturday. The fact that our execution of it was rubbish doesn't mean there was no intent.

If management said at the start of the season it's going to be a tough year as we lost our two best players or even we want to consolidate this year and firstly rectify the poor form from the second half of last season and this season started as it has followed by the failure in the market, I wouldn't be half annoyed as I am now because we've been warned it's expected, if we do better then everyone is happy.

But...

The fact our manager is saying in the press 'we want to be a championship club' 'judge us after the window shuts' just completely frustrates me. The bloke works with these players every day surely he can see they aren't going anywhere near the top of the league. He is either completely deluded or simply just winding us up.

Lots of abuse for those of us who did actually post that in the summer. So what would have happened if the manager (any manger) had said that.

Lots of abuse for those of us who did actually post that in the summer. So what would have happened if the manager (any manger) had said that.

I would of said 'fair enough' we've lost our best players and our form was shockingly bad at the end of last season. It would be a fair statement. I'm sure plenty of managers have said they want to consolidate this year, plenty of them. Don't throw us a bone just to keep us happy(because look how it is now half the fanbase wants the manager sacked inc me), tell it how it is and get more respect from the fans.

Back