• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who needs JCR??

I think Watford showed the merits of a decent early cross - they didn't piddle about with it and it caused our defence a lot of problems.

I'll be glad to see him go! I had my reservations about JCR, but seeing the side without him in it, and seeing Tommy Black play in his absence, my
reservations have been confirmed!

Can't believe Rayleigh Boy said he hardly gives the ball away - is he joking!? He's the most wasteful player in the side. Hardly and assists or goals - look at Gower's ratios. He's hardly a 'flair player' is he? Just proves that flair and wizardry doesn't make a good winger or an essential part of the team.

Tommy Black will make up for the lack of flair. The crosses that Black put in last night were sublime, telling, just waiting for someone to get on the end of them, which they will eventually will. JCR just can't do it. Wizardry and flair is all well and good, but he creates f-all in the way of chances for our forwards to score. Gower and Black are the opposite.

And as the first post said, and I totally agree with it, our attacks actually look QUICKER without our QUICKEST PLAYER in the team! The ball moved so much more quickly from defence to attack at the other end. Every time JCR got the ball, everything just stopped just after the half way line because he stutters and stalls and goes back and tries to beat his man a billion times! Last night showed how inadequate that is and we looked much more balanced and direct going forward. Much, much better. I'd keep him out of the team now, whether he leaves or not!

"And as the first post said, and I totally agree with it, our attacks actually look QUICKER without our QUICKEST PLAYER in the team!"

A typical case of "More haste, less speed!"

The problem with JCR is he gets behind the defence quickly, but by the time he has done his stepovers the other teams defence is organised and ready for the (usaully ****) cross that he will put in.

Ball speed not leg speed

Take the points on the quickness of attack. Never a truer word has been said than when my PE teacher, granted an egg chaser, told us the ball moves faster than your feet so PASS IT!!!

I agree that the team will do better without Jamal but I will always remember JCR ripping Heinze apart in the Carling Cup but then again one Carling Cup Game doesn't make a season.

MODS - I PLEAD WITH YOU TO CLOSE THIS THREAD - SOMEONE FROM BARNSTONWORTH MIGHT READ IT

but then again one Carling Cup Game doesn't make a season.

_42288820_eastwood_pa416.jpg

Didn't see him after that...
:cry:

i really liked him when he signed. i cant remember what game it was he first started in, but i remember it being an evening kick off in a cup. i thought he added lots of pace and would trouble the defences down the right wing. but i became more and more frustrated with him, and have been for some time. even so, i was genuinely SHOCKED when i saw the stats of his productivity.

my only concern now is that, surely other teams have access to such stats. why the hell would you pay £200-£300k for a player like that!?

He is poo end of,

Probably the worst 'end of' even on here.

the stats dont lie,

Stats(ki) regularly mislead(s). Interpretation and presentation of numbers is completely subjective.

Nice, give one example and then two "etc" following

I would pay another team to take him.

I'm glad you're not in charge.

Two games without him two wins hmmmmmmm

There go those stats again.

Here's an example - Billy Paynter has to start against Brighton because he is our most prolific striker against them. Lewis Hunt to play as a support striker.

hes also consistant - a reliable way out - a man who won't give the ball away while the rest of the team gets forward -
were you actually at the Orient game? Southend were starting up an attack when Maher played a ball straight into the path of Jamal who in an attempt to control the ball just passed it to an Orient player and they went down the other end and scored the winner. try making your arguement believable

Totally agree. Does anyone have a copy of said stats? I guess they must make pretty horrific reading....?

Shamelessly stolen from Mr Gilbo's post a couple of days ago but:

None (assists) this season
3 last season (Championship)
None in the season before that (League 1)

compared to Gower
None this season
7 last season
8 the season before that

Goals are 2 for JCR and 17 for Gower

It's true that stats can be misleading but surely not that misleading?

I agree that the stats should look better however, unless we get a decent offer, I really hope we keep him. We probably have more competition for places this season than last season and the threat from JCR is veyr different to that of, say Gower or Black.

One thing that has always confused me is why people think JCR is so quick. From what I've seen, he accelerates quickly and has quick feet but his straight line speed isn't exceptional and he's not powerful enough to get round players. His main asset to us is probably his incessant workrate and willingness to take the ball from other players and take men on. He doesn't disappear when his confidence is low.

Last edited:
I think the stats are a bit misleading because the assists only refer to direct assists and JCR has actually been involved in quite a few goals during his time at the club, even if he didn't make the decisive pass. He played an integral part in the goal we scored against Orient, for example, and also our second goal against Cheltenham. Other examples from last season include a beautiful reverse pass for Eastwood against Leicester that took out two defenders: Eastwood subsequently shot and the ball fell to McCormack, who scored; he also provided crosses against Barnsley and Luton that led to goals for Gower and Bradders.

I'll personally miss JCR. He was a great outlet to have and his workrate was the best I've ever seen from a winger at this level. And despite what is commonly written here, he did actually cross the ball far more than people gave him credit for.

I think the stats are a bit misleading because the assists only refer to direct assists and JCR has actually been involved in quite a few goals during his time at the club, even if he didn't make the decisive pass. He played an integral part in the goal we scored against Orient, for example, and also our second goal against Cheltenham. Other examples from last season include a beautiful reverse pass for Eastwood against Leicester that took out two defenders: Eastwood subsequently shot and the ball fell to McCormack, who scored; he also provided crosses against Barnsley and Luton that led to goals for Gower and Bradders.

I'll personally miss JCR. He was a great outlet to have and his workrate was the best I've ever seen from a winger at this level. And despite what is commonly written here, he did actually cross the ball far more than people gave him credit for.

i agree .....

and he signed my Man U ticket and I really like pointing out his car - thats JCRs - as if i was in the know and then they look at the numberplate and think - oh i see -

Can someone do some stats on our win ratios with or without JCR.

I'm sure we won a lot more games in L1 when he didn't play. I seem to recall our sticky patch coincided with his loan from Rotherham.

IMHO, everything about JCR has been a pain in the ar$e since he first arrived. The row over the fee was grief for the club which included him going back to Rotherham and even being loaned to Col Ewe for a short time. Even then when that was sorted out, he continually under performed (bar 1 game v WBA, which i ironically missed). He shows tons of potential, works hard but never produces on a regular basis. All the tricks in the world wont get you a cross in the box if you lose it beforehand. I'd rather he wasn't chasing back to get a lost ball, i'd rather he hadn't lost it in the first place. Last night epitomised the fact that we look better without him in what has to be said was an understrength Southend team. We got more crosses in the box last night in 90 minutes that strikers got near even if they didn't manage to connect than we have in the last 18 months from JCR. Also the strikers seemed happier and more confident that crosses would arrive or at least come into the right areas. The midfield also last night played the ball around with a good variety of confident passing. If Barnsley offer the reputed £300k then we should bite their arm off. I won't be shedding tears for his departure that is for sure.

Whatever his merits or otherwise as a player, I most certainly sympathise with the domestic situation he finds himself in and hope things get better for his family.

A fly goes quite fast. In spirals.

A bee goes in a straight line.

A bit surreal but see what I mean?

Back