• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
this is interesting ....

looks like sainsburys got some of the money back in october 2019

Deed of assignment and charge
Created11 August 2010Delivered23 August 2010StatusSatisfied on 9 October 2019
Persons entitled
  • Sainsbury's Supermarkets Limited
Short particulars
By way pf legal assignment all right, title benefit and…

Whoever the new manager is will be totally governed by the ££££ available.

I would say rule out anyone who :-

1. Requires an level of compensation for existing contract

2. Has an already existing reputation meaning high wage demands

3. would require bringing in his own back room staff - more wages

4. Requires a budget for transfers

5. Dropping down a division or two

6. Has no reason or need to work for peanuts

Anyone ticking more than one of those boxes rule out completely.

Smart money will be on Craig Fagan - Who’s already on the wage bill and will need a small pay rise for his opportunity.

Possibly an existing or ex player to fill a coaching role. Milligan with his contractual option to be a coach would’ve made sense - but possibly a player coach (ie Demetriou / White) who are already on the wage bill, along with Lee Harrison

Like it or not, underwhelmed or not, £££ will rule the roost in all decision making for the foreseeable.

Realistically it's got to be Fagan, hasn't it? He seems to be well respected by the players, will know the squad well, and will know the dire situation we are in so will be better equipped to deal with it than another candidate coming in from the cold.

Either that or bring in GBJ and rigsby as they have many contacts and sources so will be able to sniff out any troublemakers, and also employ Rayleigh boy as the new chief financial officer to locate the £5 million donated to us by Sainsbury's.

You say that now, but what happens when I sack them all and make you my starting forward?

this is interesting ....

looks like sainsburys got some of the money back in october 2019

Deed of assignment and charge
Created11 August 2010Delivered23 August 2010StatusSatisfied on 9 October 2019
Persons entitled
  • Sainsbury's Supermarkets Limited
Short particulars
By way pf legal assignment all right, title benefit and…

Charge being satisfied just means it’s cleared not that any monies changed hands.

The more I think about it the more I think that Fagan should and will get the top job.
Ron will know that Fagan will play the youngsters, meaning their stock will rise. It will keep the wage bill down....the players all seem to love him.. he's a good communicator, always trying to improve aspects of player's games etc.
He has coached/been around most of these lads since 2016 (under 16s coach 2016-18) despite a short shift at Hull before returning as under 23 manager in 2019.
In the current climate it just makes sense. Let's face it, we aren't going to be bringing in any players before the new season starts (despite what Ron says). Who better to put in charge than a man who has knowledge and belief in our young players. They will run through brick walls for him.

The more I think about it the more I think that Fagan should and will get the top job.
Ron will know that Fagan will play the youngsters, meaning their stock will rise. It will keep the wage bill down....the players all seem to love him.. he's a good communicator, always trying to improve aspects of player's games etc.
He has coached/been around most of these lads since 2016 (under 16s coach 2016-18) despite a short shift at Hull before returning as under 23 manager in 2019.
In the current climate it just makes sense. Let's face it, we aren't going to be bringing in any players before the new season starts (despite what Ron says). Who better to put in charge than a man who has knowledge and belief in our young players. They will run through brick walls for him.

totally agree, It’s Fagan for me.

Spencer Prior mentioned It in an interview, but I agree that the next appointment needs to be someone with a connection to the club and the fans.

Last few seasons, it’s not felt like the same club.

If Tilson wants it, I’d give him backing. If he brings in ex-players to assist, I’m all for it.

The squad that was built by Tilson was one of the best Southend Squads in many, many seasons.

That was a team that played for each other, played for the club, not just the wage. I’m yet to see a squad that’s been so ‘together’ like that team.

Yes, the Championship was a stretch too far, but they gave it a go.

Tilson’s downfall was created off the pitch when players weren’t paid.

Can he do it again? Was he lucky landing Eastwood? Was he lucky with players he had in the squad ... some of which went on to play in the prem?

I think Tilson can do the job, he knows the club, he knows it’s limitations, and knows his backing will be limited for player budgets.

Most importantly, he brings a vital link between the club and fans back.

True, no guarantees.
I just think if we are going for a rookie might as well be a blues man like KM and AB, at least they wouldnt be surprised when ron pulls the rug out from under them.

The danger is again, ron giving some big name charlie his flannel about the biggest budget and new stadium spiel.

I just feel the time is all wrong for AB, Kev is a better bet because he used to manage the u23s that will make up the squad next season. Fagan by all accounts has been in contact with at least some of the squad and will have an idea of what we need to improve. He's also more widely known in the game than either KM of AB which could be of benefit when trying to get some of the experience that we need along with having played at all levels for a decent number of clubs so will be better connected.

and to top it all off he's already at the club.

You say that now, but what happens when I sack them all and make you my starting forward?
Yeah but I’m a luxury player so you’d have to build the team around me.

Reactions: GBJ
As I've said on another thread another big plus for Fagan is that he will be relatively well known throughout the game and may well still have contacts at some of the clubs he played with.

We’ve heard this sort of thing before about former players having “contacts”. Our last manager played for Arsenal, our manager before that worked at Tottenham.. neither of them used their contacts to get us loan players etc and besides, what good will that do if we are still under an embargo?

As I've said on another thread another big plus for Fagan is that he will be relatively well known throughout the game and may well still have contacts at some of the clubs he played with.

The biggest plus concerning Craig Fagan is that he comes across in the media as an astute, well-balanced individual who knows how to get the best out of the players at his disposal. In short, I think he has demonstrated he has sound judgement. Yes managing the first team is a significant step up, but he seems well equipped to rapidly make that transition.

The biggest plus concerning Craig Fagan is that he comes across in the media as an astute, well-balanced individual who knows how to get the best out of the players at his disposal. In short, I think he has demonstrated he has sound judgement. Yes managing the first team is a significant step up, but he seems well equipped to rapidly make that transition.
Unlike an ‘outsider’ Ron will after 3 years know Fagan well as a character and what he will bring. 3 years of “due diligence” if you like.

Similarly with Maher, Tilson and Barrett.

On this basis I suspect Ron knows who he would prefer - almost any combination too as I am pretty sure they would all be pretty comfortable working with each other. And any combination won’t break the bank.

Why risk going for someone you don’t know given what he said about passion for the club etc etc

So first time I have logged back in since lockdown

Their is only One Adam Barrett!!

Has to be, **** the sentiment, former player losing his legend status bla bla bla, he is the best man for the job hands down!

Back